News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Turning Purple

Started by LMNO, November 10, 2016, 08:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

If someone says something offensive about an idea you have; and you tell them they're offended; and they respond by being offended that they're being called offensive; then what?

Added degree of difficulty: What if you want to convince them to help you with your idea?

Big Boss: What if it's half the voting public you're trying to convince?

The Good Reverend Roger

1.  Then Eris wins.

2.  See #1

3.  See #1 59,377,773 times.

There is no convincing anyone of anything right now.  Nobody on either side will be able to think clearly until April.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

OK, but what about after April?  What about in 2018?  What about 2020?

There's a lot of talk that Democrats lost votes because people were offended at being told their ideas and language were offensive.  Apart from ignoring it or accepting it, what do?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on November 10, 2016, 08:47:38 PM
OK, but what about after April?  What about in 2018?  What about 2020?

There's a lot of talk that Democrats lost votes because people were offended at being told their ideas and language were offensive.  Apart from ignoring it or accepting it, what do?

No idea.  I don't know what to say when almost 60 million Americans voted Nazi.  The USA is now officially one of history's bad guys.  What is there to convince anyone of?  Many of them truly believe all that shit, and the rest will double down and burn your house down if you tell them they made a mistake.  That's not hyperbole. 

Populism is a disease.  The only historical cure won't happen because we have a nuclear stockpile, so there won't be any allies invading.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Fixed.

(Split topic, accidentally moved original topic to Apple Talk, moved it back.)

Slipper

1. tell em' i dont give a fuk how dey feel.

2. put gun to head, and say, "do you love x-idea?"

3. call donald to help me out.

The Good Reverend Roger

I don't know what you were expecting, LMNO.

I know exactly what's going to happen with the two rants I'm brewing.  Same shit as happened here.

LMNO

It's an interesting conundrum, after all.  And it does cut both ways.  If the country is evenly split ideologically from first principles, does one side just beat the other over the head every 2-4 years?

Look at me, still trying not to cynical.  Ain't I adorable?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on November 10, 2016, 10:08:05 PM
It's an interesting conundrum, after all.  And it does cut both ways.  If the country is evenly split ideologically from first principles, does one side just beat the other over the head every 2-4 years?

This is different.  Look at the news.  The Nazis are running around in the open now.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 11, 2016, 12:36:47 AM
Quote from: LMNO on November 10, 2016, 10:08:05 PM

This is different.  Look at the news.  The Nazis are running around in the open now.

As far as I can tell the Nazis have taken the Kek thing to heart and it's shockingly open as a covert symbol of subversive intent if not the esoteric shit that has a certain verv to it. In a way I'm almost amused, but the blood WILL be paid. SOME of the mysteries are very real. This is not a negotiaion. They're looking to their bullshit ubermensch mythology as justification, as ever, claiming their creed to be the true Maat (just being) as personified by a deified Hitler...

And the memes linking all this through poor Pepe have NOTHING in them to restrain the evocation. This is the metaphysical equivalent of blowing up a dam that you're sitting on top of, but the energy released is a HUNGER that must be fed and will go get it's own, thank you. In essence the folks "pledged" to the lynchpin become... fixated and single minded at the fringes and more psychotic the farther into the cult you dig. I'm not going to say more here, but this is a VERY dark concept and now all too real as a political construct INTENDED to build in synergy with the meme-cult.

Thing is they didn't actually do anything to properly lay CLAIM to the forces they "released" and so the construct WILL run rampant beyond their control, and at that point things will get INTERESTING. Until then the violence will only intensify in the afflicted and those fully in thrall will be lavishly rewarded from the bloody spoils.

There are weaknesses.  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Not going to discuss those in the open though.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 11, 2016, 01:22:38 AM

There are weaknesses.  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Not going to discuss those in the open though.

Yeah, just addressed that very thing in Apple Talk.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They aren't going to change their minds. A few will here and there, but not enough to make a difference.

We have to do this the old-fashioned way: try to keep them at bay while waiting for them to die.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: LMNO on November 10, 2016, 08:36:04 PM
If someone says something offensive about an idea you have; and you tell them they're offended; and they respond by being offended that they're being called offensive; then what?

Added degree of difficulty: What if you want to convince them to help you with your idea?

Big Boss: What if it's half the voting public you're trying to convince?

Offense is a feeling that shores up self-righteousness. It's a defense against having to confront ideas that don't fit into your reality map.

So maybe you have to sidestep the problem. Saying "You are being offensive" apparently doesn't work so maybe it's something like.. education? Or increased welfare so that those who are most vulnerable are better looked after and more able to hold a more inclusive worldview?

I don't know. I think everything could be irreparably fucked and we're just going to have to see how the next four years shake out before anyone even has any idea as to what to do.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."