What Makes This Really Funny, part 2

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 11, 2016, 12:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay, so my country has failed to meet my minimum standards.  Just short of 60 million of my neighbors have decided that voting Nazi was an acceptable thing to do, because they are so tired of even a semi-functional republic.

Scary times.

And some folks have very good reason to be scared.  A lot of women I know are talking about getting IUDs before January, and who can blame them?  Trump has said he'll leave the petty details of actual governance to Pence, and Pence is a Dominionist who very much wants to make birth control illegal because it makes women uppity.  Given the rash of swastikas being sprayed all over everything flat surface, the chants of "build a wall" in middle schools, hijab-grabbing, and grab ass sexual assault ("This is a free country now, bitch"), it's not just women that should be worried.  It's also worth mentioning that the FBI, who would normally stop much of this shit, helped engineer it.

We are very much on our own.  This is, after the last eight years, a very rough concept to wrap your mind around, but sticking your head in the sand isn't going to help.

HOWEVER:

This is the first time in 50 years that The Machine has presented a handle.  Something concrete, a place in which to start picking away at the threads.  That handle isn't a government office or a corporate boardroom or anything like that.  No, it is our fellow citizens, every slack-jawed goober in a MAGA hat.  The cockroaches have crawled out of the corners, and it is our job to step on them. 

What makes this possible is that half of them know what they're supporting is wrong.  They won't admit it, but they're worried and ashamed of what they've done.  And that is the handle, here.  Not persuasion, not tolerance, but shame.  Society has finally barfed forth those that need to be told to shit in their hats, and who are we to turn this opportunity down?

That's going to require some teamwork, of course...And though some of us have very legitimate beefs with each other, I'd like to suggest that we have bigger fish to fry right now.  Not saying we need to sing Kumbaya and pretend that those legitimate beefs never occurred (one way and/or the other), but the hilarious times coming seem to indicate that - as some old radical once said - we will either hang together or we shall surely hang apart.

I told you guys years ago that this is our century.  Events have proven me right, in ways that surprise and horrify me.  But what's Discordia for, if not some horrormirth and KICKING THEM IN THE NADS?  Fuck, this is the first time in a decade that it's been morally right to kick them in the nads! 

ALL THE FUN, NO GUILT.

Or Kill Me.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

YAAHS!! You see it. The very Sunlight that they now feel emopwered to walk in is their worst of enemies, yet the Cuckmagi failed to ensure that the timing was ripe in their rush to get the meme in play. The whole thing is resolved by a formal resistance and exposure so that pernicious deeds bring the proper social backlash again. Thing is that the shame MUST be self realized and only works on the outer fringe types. To do it right you must drag the wretched OUT of the darkness to be beheld and not drive the "exoteric" into it by derision. Those too far gone... well, it's sad but some folks will choose death over a false identity planted hard enough.

This kind of shit is a basis for certain notorious suicide-murder cults in history, but Kek promises nothing like a heavenly reward to delude, just immediate material and psychological gratification like Moloch on ALL THE STEROIDS.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Bu🤠ns

They've been called racist so many times they're numb to it.  I don't think that shaming is going to be enough.  It certainly didn't win the election.

POFP

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 11, 2016, 03:44:15 AM
They've been called racist so many times they're numb to it.  I don't think that shaming is going to be enough.  It certainly didn't win the election.

I was thinking this same thing. However, that doesn't mean the roach stepping won't be less fun.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Good Reverend Roger

Of course it didn't win the election.  They had something to swing back at.  You could point out the obvious, and they could holler about emails, with Jill Stein cheering them on.

But now they have to live with the results, and I see no downside in helping them see those results.  I am fairly certain that they had more fun cheering for Trump's campaign than they will cheering for his presidency.

And if it doesn't work, so what?   It's never morally incorrect to make people like that upset.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on November 11, 2016, 03:47:38 AM

I was thinking this same thing. However, that doesn't mean the roach stepping won't be less fun.

Again, I don't see a downside.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 11, 2016, 03:49:22 AM
Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on November 11, 2016, 03:47:38 AM

Again, I don't see a downside.

Oh, I think I meant "that doesn't mean the roach stepping will be less fun." I'm on your side, in that I don't see a downside.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

The Good Reverend Roger

This was stupid and I feel bad for writing it.  Queen Gogira was right.

I'm gonna hunker down with my family and try to get through the next few years.

Good luck.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 11, 2016, 04:56:52 AM

Good luck.

What? I loved this.

The Wizard Joseph

Good luck.

Good fortune Roger. I get your choice. This place has no value if it's not able to keep it's shit together and certainly won't be producing anything capable of reversing this mess. I'm not sure anything can at this point. I just saw most of what little I still placed hope in get subverted. 

If you want to stay in touch you know how to find me. Take care.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Good luck.

Wait, what?

I was just getting on board the "THIS IS THE AMERICA YOU WANTED" bandwagon, while offering shelter to those who need it.

Bruno

So far, every idea I've come up with is probably at least a minor felony. I'll take all the help I can get.

Also, If there's anything I can do to make myself useful, let me know.
Formerly something else...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2016, 01:29:58 PM

Good luck.

Wait, what?

I was just getting on board the "THIS IS THE AMERICA YOU WANTED" bandwagon, while offering shelter to those who need it.

Two days ago, a few of us talked about coming up with some ideas for the coming Bad Times.  I thought of my first thoughts, I posted, expecting some initial ideas to riff on (and vice-verse), but then I noticed something:  All the smart people I know are either "mansplaining" or "self-policing" the same old shit, or JUST TOO BUTTHURT.  And it's NOVEMBER 11th.  In precisely two (2) months, 60 days, it's inauguration day.  Then we have Trump in office and congress in session. 

You want to hear about January?

A chief Justice that makes Scalia look like Ginsberg.

oh, and

SNAP - GONE.
ACCESS - GONE
Ben Carson as Secretary of education.

BUT WAIT!  THERE'S MORE!

Once the transition is over, Ben Carson's looking for work because the department of education will be dismantled.  This isn't ranting, it's what Trump and McConnell said they were going to do.  No more of that pesky Title I funding to local schools, which around here means NO SCHOOLS.

Expect the Supreme Court to reverse itself on Gay marriage.  This won't happen in February or even March, but certainly by fall.  Then you can almost certainly expect that being LGBT will attract the eye of Sauron, so to speak.

Also, being able to buy birth control may be more interesting by March.   Even if you have the money.

SPEAKING OF WHICH:

At least two of us work in universities or publicly funded science.  How's that going to work out?  LMNO, you will probably be fine.  Everyone else is FUCKED.

All of this SOUNDS like USUNCUT.COM.  But this is the first time the GOP has had the whole enchilada, all at once - since the Bush years, and they aren't distracted by foreign policy like they were then.  This is the American Taliban IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING.

And here everyone is, bickering in the fucking lifeboat, or scurrying off to the alt-right at the first turn of the wind, like that little quisling cunt RP.   

I don't see any fucking reason to paste a target on my back for that.  As Queen Gogira said,

Quote from: Queen GogiraThe truth is that Good doesn't get shit done. Good is too busy self-policing to get off its ass and do something. Good chops its own legs off before a fight because it's unfair to go into battle fully armed when others don't have access to all the benefits of whiteness, straightness, maleness, ableness, etc. Good is self-congratulatory to the point of vomit inducement, patting itself on the back for using the right pronouns and eating the right food and generally being RIGHT all over the place, like a shining beacon of hope to the masses, but it doesn't put a nickle in the homeless guy's cup. Good never learned to throw a punch.

At night Good collapses into a sobbing wreck because it can't handle the stress of living up to "goodness" and it's ashamed and alone and its friends are shallow and worthless as sounding boards or lifelines in the dark.

She's 100% right, and there are ONLY 60 DAYS.  Fuck that, I am not sticking my neck out for people who can't get over their hatred of each other or me, or whatever.  I am not taking risks for people who STILL THINK THE PRIORITY IS SELF-POLICING.

I'm taking care of my own, at least until the gigantic wave of Darwin goes by, and it's suddenly easier to spot the people who might TRY, even if you have to trip over the starved or beaten corpses of the people who absolutely refused to even look at the problem.

Maybe then.  For the moment, I am nobody's "ally".  As the man said, I stick my neck out for nobody.  Not because I don't WANT TO, but because it would do NO GOOD AT ALL.

So, again, good luck.

LMNO

I get you.  And I also see the future you've laid out.  All three branches of GOP majorities.  It makes me sick.

I'm still offering shelter to people who are going to get fucked.  I'm still going to call a bigot a bigot.  And I'm going to figure out what lever I have, and where to put the fulcrum.

And then I'm going to BEAR DOWN.

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2016, 07:15:54 PM
I get you.  And I also see the future you've laid out.  All three branches of GOP majorities.  It makes me sick.

I'm still offering shelter to people who are going to get fucked.  I'm still going to call a bigot a bigot.  And I'm going to figure out what lever I have, and where to put the fulcrum.

And then I'm going to BEAR DOWN.

This is another thing that's been bothering me with the results here and there. For all the nuanced talk of trade policies and whatnot, there's still a massive chunk of people that just have terrible ideas and beliefs. The pandering to these people in the wake of the results is fucking sickening. I don't see these people(all sides) coming out with nuanced arguments a lot of the time, but the DUMB is endless. News sources have all been placed on a similar level and a crazy blog carries as much weight as an actual work of journalism. How many things have you seen from RT this year? When you're stating idiocy or bigotry, the appropriate response tends to end up at "scorn". A chance or two to explain themselves if you're feeling kind, but the guy shouting "NIGGERS!" isn't often going to turn out to be a moral smart person. 

Personally, I intend to do little different. I still despise most associated with any power structure and I'll keep flinging shit and obstructing it accordingly when I can. Several systems in place are fundamentally unchanged and unlikely to change. It's still largely the system that produces a lot of the problems so getting back to that may be more productive.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.