News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

What Makes This Really Funny, part 2

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 11, 2016, 12:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2016, 07:15:54 PM
I get you.  And I also see the future you've laid out.  All three branches of GOP majorities.  It makes me sick.

I'm still offering shelter to people who are going to get fucked.  I'm still going to call a bigot a bigot.  And I'm going to figure out what lever I have, and where to put the fulcrum.

And then I'm going to BEAR DOWN.

It's really all you can do. I'm going to keep doing what I have been doing, which is attempt to talk sense to people. The folks trapped in feedback loops might not get it, but at least some of the people watching will.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2016, 07:15:54 PM
I get you.  And I also see the future you've laid out.  All three branches of GOP majorities.  It makes me sick.

I'm still offering shelter to people who are going to get fucked.  I'm still going to call a bigot a bigot.  And I'm going to figure out what lever I have, and where to put the fulcrum.

And then I'm going to BEAR DOWN.

What you guys don't seem to get is that this isn't 2000-2008 all over again.  It's a whole new set of rules.

Remember when we though Lieberman, Inhofe, and Sessions were bad?  Well, they were of course, but what we have *now* is a whole different kettle of fish. 

And just leaving government aside for a moment, there's the people who voted Trump in, and are now hooting and hollering, painting swastikas on shit and assaulting women.

And he's not even IN yet.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

So what is it? Do we hunker down, and try to ride out 2 years and hope a miracle happens in the mid-terms? Do we disconnect and let the world burn? Do we engage as publicly as possible, and expose every filthy act of this autocrat? Do we turn into cannibals and eat each other alive?

I'd like to think... no, I need to believe that, even without the benefit of public institutions, even in the face of open aggression from the masses, we are capable of resistance. And not just "posting some memes" resistance, but actual physically providing safety to as many as we can. Establishing a network of people who are willing to risk something for the safety of others during this time. If we're right, and the jackboots come marching, nobody's going to be able to stand on their own. If we're wrong, and this is all hyperbole, the worst that can happen is we build a more resilient network outside of cyberspace.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

POFP

Quote from: V3X on November 12, 2016, 02:00:38 AM
So what is it? Do we hunker down, and try to ride out 2 years and hope a miracle happens in the mid-terms? Do we disconnect and let the world burn? Do we engage as publicly as possible, and expose every filthy act of this autocrat? Do we turn into cannibals and eat each other alive?

I'd like to think... no, I need to believe that, even without the benefit of public institutions, even in the face of open aggression from the masses, we are capable of resistance. And not just "posting some memes" resistance, but actual physically providing safety to as many as we can. Establishing a network of people who are willing to risk something for the safety of others during this time. If we're right, and the jackboots come marching, nobody's going to be able to stand on their own. If we're wrong, and this is all hyperbole, the worst that can happen is we build a more resilient network outside of cyberspace.

Hell yeah. Finally something I can get behind. :mittens:
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Good Reverend Roger

We aren't capable of getting along for 10 minutes. 

Resistance.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Not sure why the concept of resistance would even require adherence to some holistic set of philosophies, other than some well-defined but limited set of absolute tolerances. We don't have to agree on everything, or even on most things. We don't even have to agree on fundamentals like the nature of government, the morality of taxation, or what color the sky is on a cloudless day. Just a few items like "it isn't okay to cart anyone away to the camps" and "people shouldn't be beaten in the streets" and "every human being deserves to live".

It doesn't have to be a movement, we don't have to collaborate on elections, we don't have to join the same parties or go to the same churches. It isn't about progress at this point, it's about survival.

If we can't find enough people who agree on those things, and are able to recognize when they have been violated, then I suppose you're right and the entire concept of "resistance" is moot. But I really don't want to believe that's where we are.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2016, 02:05:09 AM

We aren't capable of getting along for 10 minutes. 

Resistance.   :lulz:

The history of Discordianism hasn't exactly been filled with people who agreed all the time. Some good shit has still managed to appear though. When you all agree with each other then you are just sitting around in an echo chamber jerking each other off.

I hope that most here can agree with the principles that V3X posted though and that could be enough to rally around. It's been tough enough watching the election run-up destroying people's opinions of each other - fuelled by media frenzy and the polarization that comes from the two man con ( whether that's bernie vs hilary or hilary vs. trump it was all the two man con ultimately).

Or just batten down the hatches and look out for you and yours. That's a legitimate response too.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: V3X on November 12, 2016, 02:11:44 AM
Not sure why the concept of resistance would even require adherence to some holistic set of philosophies, other than some well-defined but limited set of absolute tolerances. We don't have to agree on everything, or even on most things. We don't even have to agree on fundamentals like the nature of government, the morality of taxation, or what color the sky is on a cloudless day. Just a few items like "it isn't okay to cart anyone away to the camps" and "people shouldn't be beaten in the streets" and "every human being deserves to live".

It doesn't have to be a movement, we don't have to collaborate on elections, we don't have to join the same parties or go to the same churches. It isn't about progress at this point, it's about survival.

If we can't find enough people who agree on those things, and are able to recognize when they have been violated, then I suppose you're right and the entire concept of "resistance" is moot. But I really don't want to believe that's where we are.
:mittens:

Bu🤠ns

Something has to get people fired up enough to get out of their comfort zones.  If it comes down to survival , it is pretty sad but maybe what's necessary.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 12, 2016, 04:26:18 PM
Something has to get people fired up enough to get out of their comfort zones.  If it comes down to survival , it is pretty sad but maybe what's necessary.

This entire election is literally all about half the population -- largely the white, middle-class half -- trying to cling to their comfort zone, while the other half is already struggling for survival, and therefore trying to push for change.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Meanwhile, those who are fighting for fat, stupid, smugly Christian white middle-class complacency really don't give a damn about people going hungry or losing their future to an unwanted pregnancy or dying of preventable disease or being beaten to death in the streets, as long as it isn't their street and they don't have to see it.

Those of us who are fighting for survival have largely been dismissed as "alienating and divisive" because we make the pro-complacency demographic uncomfortable. But we haven't stopped fighting the entire time. That's what's making the other half so uncomfortable that they feel the need to make laws to shut us up and make us go away.

Freeky

It isn't just the middle class Christian white who voted for Trump, though.  The poor Christian white demographic probably gave him a large amount of votes, as well.  I know they did here, and they talked about it openly.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on November 12, 2016, 04:42:04 PM
It isn't just the middle class Christian white who voted for Trump, though.  The poor Christian white demographic probably gave him a large amount of votes, as well.  I know they did here, and they talked about it openly.

Some did, of course. Demographically speaking, support is a Bell curve, with the middle made up of white Christian middle-class earning about $70k/year.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Statistically, the majority of poor whites voted for Clinton.

NeonWytch

I wasn't around here during those early 2000s, so I wouldn't really know much about what we'd have to do differently is, but here are my thoughts.

Keep each other (and the people around us) informed of what is ACTUALLY happening. The media can't really be trusted anymore in a world where the president is a master of the art of spectacle. This doesn't mean just fear monger.

Keep people safe. We're all gonna be having tough times ahead. This new world will need survival guides, walking groups, etc. Be open to helping the people on this board that you hate.

Continue making the middle class uncomfortable. Show them that they don't get to be comfortable under a Trump presidency. Shame them creatively while also giving them breadcrumbs to figure out the truth. Don't unfriend people on facebook who disagree with you!! Trump supporters are stubborn, they're not going to unfriend you, so cash in on that and shove whatever you want onto their newsfeed.

Channel all the pain and suffering and anxiety that these 2-4-8 years cause into some works of fucking art.
A wise man once said "What was that? I couldn't hear you."