News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Misinfo Wars

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 15, 2016, 02:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: Sung Low on November 19, 2016, 12:50:46 AM
Or, you might just be a misogynistic douchebag.

I'm sure the irony of the phrase "misogynistic douchebag" eluded everyone.

So - let me get this straight - someone acts like a bitch until you get fed up with them enough to call them out for being a bitch, then people accuse you of playing into their expectations while assuming your attitudes towards women in general. I called one bitchy girl a bitch, so I must hate all women, right?

There's a word for that. Pre... pre judge... prejudsomething.

Eh, I'm sure I'll remember what it is eventually.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 19, 2016, 03:30:24 AM
I called one bitchy girl a bitch, so I must hate all women, right?

Joe Arpiao only called one Mexican a spic.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2016, 03:38:37 AM

Oh, I see. Your contention is because I chose an appropriately gender-specific insult.

So if I called you a dick, would that make me a feminist?
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 19, 2016, 03:47:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 19, 2016, 03:38:37 AM

Oh, I see. Your contention is because I chose an appropriately gender-specific insult.

So if I called you a dick, would that make me a feminist?

Keep on digging, dude.  You'll be out of that hole in no time.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Just wanted to say that chinbagpelvis's appearance has given me more laughs than I've had in a while. For this I say Thank You!

I think there might still be some meat left on your bones chin, so don't give up! These bastards are sure to tire at some point so Fortify your Heart, you glorious herald of discordia's True Path, for the blind and unenlightened denizens of this board have surely lost their way. They have become mired in the Bog of Group Think, intoxicated by it's heady stench, unable to see the arm reaching to pull them out. You are that arm, chin and they need you. I can tell you, these attacks on your character, it's all bravado and bluster designed to scare away anyone who threatens to break a hole in their meticulously constructed chamber of echoes. You are the person to do this, I truly believe it.

Stay strong and stay focused, for you have the Iron Sword of Clear Thought. Wield it right and you shall undoubtedly cleave through the walls of illogic and unreason that surround them, and truly then shall they be free.

Or, you might just be a misogynistic douchebag. These things do be complicate

:roflcake:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

82 from this thread please Roger.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 18, 2016, 09:52:23 PM
Yes, it is.

As you demonstrate, the problem is other people, not you.

Hint- The problem is you.

Second hint - You're an asshole.

Third hint - The second hint is understated.

Sung Low

So - let me get this straight - someone acts like a bitch until you get fed up with them enough to call them out for being a bitch, then people accuse you of playing into their expectations while assuming your attitudes towards women in general. I called one bitchy girl a bitch, so I must hate all women, right?

I don't think douchebag is a misogynistic term, it seems to be more commonly used as a derogatory term towards people of the male persuasion.

'An obnoxious or contemptible person, typically a man.' says the Oxford English dictionary.

I don't know you outside of what you've posted here. In a short space of time you've called a woman a bitch multiple times and suggested that she 'calm her tits'. Please enlighten me as to what I should have inferred from this.
The d key has chosen to absent itself

Salty

Quote from: Sung Low on November 20, 2016, 02:06:25 AM

I don't think douchebag is a misogynistic term, it seems to be more commonly used as a derogatory term towards people of the male persuasion.

'An obnoxious or contemptible person, typically a man.' says the Oxford English dictionary.

I don't know you outside of what you've posted here. In a short space of time you've called a woman a bitch multiple times and suggested that she 'calm her tits'. Please enlighten me as to what I should have inferred from this.

It was also the first truly hostile descriptor he used with anyone. I assume CGE is a dude.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

If bitch in the context in which I used it is a misogynistic term, then douchebag is a misandrous one. That's the irony. Don't worry, because it's not a big deal. I don't actually care.

Let's look at Oxford for the definition of bitch:

"A spiteful or unpleasant woman."

Accurate.

I called her a bitch for spitefully going out of her way to discredit me in an extremely unfair manner. She immediately called me misogynist in retaliation. If she wants to be defined by her sexuality by instantly rushing towards sexist accusations, then so be it. I gave her what she wanted. She can calm her tits, sit on a stick, and get back in the kitchen. How's that for misogyny?

If I were a misogynist, I'd have started hurling insults at her the moment she drew attention to her gender. I even stopped her dead in her tracks and told her that I didn't care.

Anyone trying to white-knight her over it can screw off. She and about three other fuckwads welcomed me to this forum with extreme hostility. Was it because I said that protestors were assholes? No, it was because I was being critical of people they happened to ideologically agree with. People are so polarized by politics that even an impassioned call to reason is met with scorn. I was immediately told to eat seven dicks. Did I lash out and accuse that person of homophobia?

This is nonsense. Just like my original argument in the thread that started this bullshit, people are moving to defend the bad behavior of their own while condemning it from anyone else.

Anyone who can dish it out but can't take it back deserves to be in my ignore list, which I am very happy to have discovered. My only regret is that I did not find it sooner; perhaps I wouldn't have assumed my only option was to fight fire with fire. I think it's fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that the only people I've traded insults with were the ones who took the initiative. The only people I've blocked are those who have shown intellectual dishonesty as a debate tactic by repeatedly luring me into attempting to clarify my points and then shitting all over them as the proverbial pigeon does to the chessboard.

Have I allowed my responses in these skirmishes to permanently tarnish my image on this board? Perhaps, but my post activity so far has been in the vein of bringing attention to disinformation and a lack of critical thought, and I refuse to apologize to trolls.

Of course, I've also made appeals to being measured and rational. Does that make me a hypocrite for losing my cool? Probably. I'm certainly willing to admit it.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 20, 2016, 02:54:23 AM

If bitch in the context in which I used it is a misogynistic term, then douchebag is a misandrous one. That's the irony. Don't worry, because it's not a big deal. I don't actually care.

Let's look at Oxford for the definition of bitch:

"A spiteful or unpleasant woman."

Accurate.

I called her a bitch for spitefully going out of her way to discredit me in an extremely unfair manner. She immediately called me misogynist in retaliation. If she wants to be defined by her sexuality by instantly rushing towards sexist accusations, then so be it. I gave her what she wanted. She can calm her tits, sit on a stick, and get back in the kitchen. How's that for misogyny?

If I were a misogynist, I'd have started hurling insults at her the moment she drew attention to her gender. I even stopped her dead in her tracks and told her that I didn't care.

Anyone trying to white-knight her over it can screw off. She and about three other fuckwads welcomed me to this forum with extreme hostility. Was it because I said that protestors were assholes? No, it was because I was being critical of people they happened to ideologically agree with. People are so polarized by politics that even an impassioned call to reason is met with scorn. I was immediately told to eat seven dicks. Did I lash out and accuse that person of homophobia?

This is nonsense. Just like my original argument in the thread that started this bullshit, people are moving to defend the bad behavior of their own while condemning it from anyone else.

Anyone who can dish it out but can't take it back deserves to be in my ignore list, which I am very happy to have discovered. My only regret is that I did not find it sooner; perhaps I wouldn't have assumed my only option was to fight fire with fire. I think it's fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that the only people I've traded insults with were the ones who took the initiative. The only people I've blocked are those who have shown intellectual dishonesty as a debate tactic by repeatedly luring me into attempting to clarify my points and then shitting all over them as the proverbial pigeon does to the chessboard.

Have I allowed these skirmishes to permanently tarnish my image on this board? Perhaps, but my post activity so far has been in the vein of bringing attention to disinformation and a lack of critical thought, and I refuse to apologize to trolls.

Of course, I've also made appeals to being measured and rational. Does that make me a hypocrite for losing my cool? Probably. I'm certainly willing to admit it.

:spittake:

Salty

QuoteShe and about three other fuckwads welcomed me to this forum with extreme hostility.

Remember that old Greek story about Eris sitting around with a bunch of dudes talking about the duality of man?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: This guy can't be for real.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Plus, he's so hung up on being butthurt that I think his idea that protesters are assholes is stupid that he completely dropped his misinformation argument to focus exclusively on that, effectively ruining his one potentially decent thread here.
:lulz:

Quote from: LMNO on November 18, 2016, 01:43:23 PM
In the campaign, there would be reporting that Trump claimed the rates of violent crime were skyrocketing.  This isn't true, and occasionally a news report would mention that in passing, but they were more focused on the Trump voter feeling like it's true, which the news somehow decided was a valid reason for voting Trump. 

Newt Gingrich specifically tried to explain this situation on the air, but he was repeatedly shut down because the other reporter seemed to think that he was attempting to legitimize it by merely acknowledging it.

I blame the newsmedia, largely. Making people feel like something is true without actually lying to them and outright saying that it's true has been their bread and butter for at least as long as I can remember.

People do it to themselves, even without the disinformation. I can remember hearing lots of people talk in casual conversations about having voted for Obama for campaign promises he never even made. They just assumed that because he was the first black president that his focus was going to be on race relations. As if a single president could somehow undo half a century of institutionalized problems.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn