News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Protestors Are Assholes

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 16, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 17, 2016, 05:37:44 AM
Sorry, new guy, but your head is way too far up your ass.

I don't even understand what the fuck this is supposed to mean. You haven't addressed a single thing I've actually said; in fact, up until now I've made it a point to not respond to anyone who hasn't.

And now you're citing statistics about Trump voters and telling me that they're not what I "expect" when I haven't said a single thing about them other than that they apparently think putting an asshole in the White House is the way to get things done. And who knows? Maybe they're right.

To be honest, I'm sorely disappointed by the personally-directed hostility I'm seeing here, which I can only attribute to the general hostility most people these days express any time their political predispositions are called into question.

I expected other Discordians (of all people) to be able to appreciate the swing of a political pendulum and to recognize the absurdity of partisan politics. Instead, what I'm seeing are (mostly) a bunch of frightened, immature ideologues.

"Welcome to the party" indeed.

And you know what? I'm just fine with where my head is at. You are encouraged to shove yours up my ass as well.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Have not read ANY threads on this board?

I certainly didn't say YOU were stupid, just your ideas. Not your personally, just the shit you tried to share here.

PROTIP:Read more Pd.com
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 07:59:26 AM
I certainly didn't say YOU were stupid, just your ideas.

Sorry, I'm too busy "calling for help" from "inside a basement" to confirm this. Besides, I cut my losses on our conversation short once Godwin came into play.

"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Pergamos

If protestors are assholes then soldiers are horrible awful people.  Actions have contexts, sometimes traffic needs to be stopped, sometimes people need to be shot, sometimes things need to be bombed.  What and where and when and why all matter and trying to conflate the extreme left and the extreme right, when the extreme left is middle of the road for most European nations and the extreme right are a bit to the right of the government of the Confederacy is absolutely a false dichotomy.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 17, 2016, 06:00:51 AM
FWIW, the WaPo is a liberal mouthpiece but I looked at that study they cited, expecting it to be methodologically unsound, but I couldn't find any major criticisms. And, to some extent, it is my job to know when science is shitty.

Then you should realize that the first study you linked to says that people with racial resentment are more likely to vote for Trump, not that people who vote for Trump are more likely to have racial resentment.

Why the hell am I defending Donald Trump here? My initial rant was about blind partisanship, hypocrisy, and rationalization.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Quote from: Pergamos on November 17, 2016, 08:21:02 AM
If protestors are assholes then soldiers are horrible awful people.  Actions have contexts, sometimes traffic needs to be stopped, sometimes people need to be shot, sometimes things need to be bombed.  What and where and when and why all matter

Protestors organize of their own free-will and are usually driven by a mixture of anger, fear, and/or a certain amount of willful ignorance. Soldiers are voluntarily bound by law to unquestioningly follow orders. I fail to see any logic here.

and trying to conflate the extreme left and the extreme right, when the extreme left is middle of the road for most European nations and the extreme right are a bit to the right of the government of the Confederacy is absolutely a false dichotomy.

You're all defending liberalism so furiously that you're completely failing to see that I'm not attacking it; which is, ironically, part of my point.

The dichotomy has nothing to do with the entire range of the political spectrum and everything to do with simple partisan politics. This is especially important when you consider that Clinton and Trump are not far from each other on the political compass. I realize I speculate when I make the following claim, but drawing on what I've seen during the last 16 years, I'm prepared to suggest that had she won, we'd be seeing the right-wingers protesting with claims of a rigged election, "not my president", and cries to throw her in jail. The conservatives would be defending them with all sorts of rationalization and it would be the liberals who once again say, "Look at how dumb all the Republicans are, I can't believe they won't accept the outcome of this election."

It's the same nonsense put into practice either way. The winner gets compared to Hitler, and everyone goes home hating everyone else.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

MMIX

The real problem is all those troublemaking uppity whites y'all are so fond of of protecting. White people are like children. They do not think in terms of facts and reasons. They just get angry and stamp their feet like a child, expecting the whole world to stop and listen to them. They can only see things from their own point of view. They cannot put themselves into another person's shoes. They are overconfident and cannot think ahead, making poor decisions – and then blame others for their mess! Their hatred and anger further clouds their judgement.
https://storify.com/betakateenin/white-people-riots
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Junkenstein

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 08:27:36 AM
FWIW, the WaPo is a liberal mouthpiece but I looked at that study they cited, expecting it to be methodologically unsound, but I couldn't find any major criticisms. And, to some extent, it is my job to know when science is shitty.

Then you should realize that the first study you linked to says that people with racial resentment are more likely to vote for Trump, not that people who vote for Trump are more likely to have racial resentment.

Why the hell am I defending Donald Trump here? My initial rant was about blind partisanship, hypocrisy, and rationalization.

It is quite possible you are not as smart as you think you are.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 03:52:18 AM
Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 16, 2016, 10:50:21 PM
False dichotomy.

Reactionary right-wing demonstrators vs. reactionary left-wing demonstrators is a literal, actual dichotomy. With as divided as politics are in this country, I can hardly think of a clearer example of genuine opposites.
I think technically the left-wing does radical bullshit. IIRC reactionary bullshit is by definition right-wing

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 03:52:18 AM
Opinions are like children. Those who have them are usually the ones least qualified.

And the mere fact of having one makes one stupider and more insufferable.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes. I know that is what it says. Strangely, I also know how to interpret science and I have a decent grasp on statistical analysis, even though I have only taken two undergraduate courses and one graduate course in statistics.

I can also use logic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 07:52:54 AM

To be honest, I'm sorely disappointed by the personally-directed hostility I'm seeing here, which I can only attribute to the general hostility most people these days express any time their political predispositions are called into question.

Well, shit; I defended your non-stupid premise in another thread. It's just that the premise of this thread is dimwitted and uneducated as fuck. The data is out there, but I can't exactly make you go find and read it before running your little typing fingers off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, you wouldn't want to let facts get in the way of your beliefs, now would you?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/no-voter-turnout-wasnt-way-down-from-2012/

QuoteApproximately 58.1 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in last week's presidential election, according to the latest estimates from Michael McDonald, associate professor at the University of Florida, who gathers data at the U.S. Elections Project. That's down only slightly from 2012, when turnout was 58.6 percent, and well above 2000's rate of 54.2 percent. Turnout may end up being higher than in any presidential election year between 1972 and 2000. (It's already higher than in any midterm election since 1896, according to McDonald's numbers, including the paltry 35.9 percent of voters who turned out two years ago.)

The Good Reverend Roger

See, I am always in favor of people losing their shit, whether it be ranting here or protesting there.  About more or less anything.  Or, hell, nothing at all.

But I gotta say, I fail to see "protesting a Nazi and the people who elected him" as "nothing at all."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 07:52:54 AM
I expected other Discordians (of all people) to be able to appreciate the swing of a political pendulum and to recognize the absurdity of partisan politics.

Well I do and I saw this coming, not because Trump has any merit or the American people are any more redneck than usual but because since before my parents were born we've never had two democratic presidents in a row where the first one didn't die in office (and only once have we had two republicans in a row where one didn't leave office before his term was up). It's like a see-saw.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago