News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Protestors Are Assholes

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 16, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I don't think the two sides should be compromised. They don't contain enough sense between them to make one sensible position.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 08:11:53 AM
Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 07:59:26 AM
I certainly didn't say YOU were stupid, just your ideas.

Sorry, I'm too busy "calling for help" from "inside a basement" to confirm this. Besides, I cut my losses on our conversation short once Godwin came into play.

That was after you called me a child, silly! Keep UP.

As for Godwin. This has been bugging me all election.

Godwin's Law has been thrown around quite a bit, and I take issue with that because I am stickler for details. Godwin's law applies when in the midst of an argument you call your opponent a NAZI or Hitler as a means of defending your point. My point is that the right just elected a president with actual NAZI ideology, as opposed to conservative ideology. There's a subtle difference there. However, seeing as subtle difference isn't your thing, it could be an easy thing to miss.

You can't just shout GODWIN, OMG GODWIN, like you're playing BINGO whenever you hear or see the word NAZI.

I mean, you can, but it's dumb.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 05:11:01 PM

Sorry, I'm too busy "calling for help" from "inside a basement" to confirm this. Besides, I cut my losses on our conversation short once Godwin came into play.

Godwin's Law has been thrown around quite a bit, and I take issue with that because I am stickler for details. Godwin's law applies when in the midst of an argument you call your opponent a NAZI or Hitler as a means of defending your point. My point is that the right just elected a president with actual NAZI ideology, as opposed to conservative ideology. There's a subtle difference there. However, seeing as subtle difference isn't your thing, it could be an easy thing to miss.

You can't just shout GODWIN, OMG GODWIN, like you're playing BINGO whenever you hear or see the word NAZI.

To be fair, not all crazy toxic racist douchebags are nazis. Jefferson Davis, for example, was not a nazi.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Salty

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 17, 2016, 05:18:46 PM

To be fair, not all crazy toxic racist douchebags are nazis. Jefferson Davis, for example, was not a nazi.

:stfu3:

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I'm not saying the confederacy weren't scum, just that there's a difference between shit and piss

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 08:39:15 AM
A. You're all defending liberalism

B. This is especially important when you consider that Clinton and Trump are not far from each other on the political compass.

A. Haha, nope.

B.
:treefucker:

That is my exact point. If you're so deep inside your own perspective that you can't see the massive difference between those two people, it's no wonder you've come to this board with waaaaaaay too many assumptions.

Maybe you came do a Discordian board to have nice, reasonable, orderly conversation. You thought maybe Eris wanted us all to sit down and accept the other's position all nice and polite.

Again, read more Pd.com

Salty

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 17, 2016, 05:31:41 PM
I'm not saying the confederacy weren't scum, just that there's a difference between shit and piss

I don't care what you're saying. I don't know how this is new information, I have been pretty clear on this point.

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 17, 2016, 03:39:38 PM
It's just that the premise of this thread is dimwitted and uneducated as fuck. The data is out there

I don't think you understand the premise. You seem to think it's some kind of false equivalency, as if I'm saying that every opinion is equally right.

Opinions are obviously subjective and relative. My entire argument is that if you lean to the left, you're more likely to defend the views of people on the "extreme" left and demonize the views of the entire right based on the actions of the "extreme" right. The same goes the other way around.

My point is proven by everyone who is mistaking this for a false-equivalency argument - as if to say both ideologies are valid - by doing exactly what I'm saying they'd do: suggesting that the actions of the most extreme people on their side are defensible because

• look how far to the right the entire spectrum has shifted, the left is actually more centrist than left (as if simply being centrist somehow makes an political view more correct)
  • things are "different" "this time", there's "more at stake"
  • they're not the "same" because their candidate is X

Predictable (and understandable) rationalization, and I hear it every single time from the people on the losing side of a presidential election.

And all this squirming and posturing just to avoid admitting the one simple fact that I started this thread to say: protestors are assholes.

More specifically, people who immediately protest a systematically valid and uncontested presidential election are assholes.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

East Coast Hustle

There's definitely an asshole in this conversation, but I don't think it's got anything to do with protesters.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 17, 2016, 03:46:44 PM
It might be worth noting that extensive voter suppression is a completely legitimate reason to protest.

I agree, but these people haven't been protesting voter suppression; they've been protesting the way that the country decided to vote. They are quite literally demonstrating against a system of democracy simply because it didn't work for them this one time: just like the assholes who did it last time, and the time before that, and the time before that...
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 17, 2016, 03:46:44 PM
It might be worth noting that extensive voter suppression is a completely legitimate reason to protest.

I agree, but these people haven't been protesting voter suppression; they've been protesting the way that the country decided to vote. They are quite literally demonstrating against a system of democracy simply because it didn't work for them this one time: just like the assholes who did it last time, and the time before that, and the time before that...

Capital argument, could you repeat it one more time, for the people in the back?
                 /
:judge:

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2016, 03:50:57 PM
See, I am always in favor of people losing their shit, whether it be ranting here or protesting there.  About more or less anything.  Or, hell, nothing at all.

Spoken like a true Discordian!

But I gotta say, I fail to see "protesting a Nazi and the people who elected him" as "nothing at all."

Well, first of all, if you're left-leaning politically, then you probably would sympathize. The real question is whether or not you condemn the people who, in 2008, claimed to be protesting a "Communist and the people who elected him".

Of course, if you think that Donald Trump is a literal Nazi, you probably have a fairly uncompromising position, and you are less likely to be interested in diplomacy between two incredibly powerful political institutions.

Congratulations! You've become an obstructionist and a filibusterer! (Just like "they" did.)

The more people are different, the more they are alike.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

I didn't call you a child; I said that opinions were like children: those who have them are usually the ones least qualified. It's an addage that I've been saying for years. I wasn't making a comment on your particular opinions, but simply responding to the twist on the "opinions are like assholes" saying.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

Godwin's law applies when in the midst of an argument you call your opponent a NAZI or Hitler as a means of defending your point. My point is that the right just elected a president with actual NAZI ideology, as opposed to conservative ideology.

Since Godwin's Law isn't formal, it has been long-since (unspokenly) amended to include people who accuse others of being literal Nazis as a form of hyperbole.

If you honestly, truly believe that someone is an actual Nazi, you've got a pretty big burden of proof resting on your shoulders if you're going to invoke that opinion in an argument. Most of the time, you'll just not be taken seriously and people will assume that you're being hyperbolic and vitriolic.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 06:10:34 PM

I didn't call you a child; I said that opinions were like children: those who have them are usually the ones least qualified. It's an addage that I've been saying for years. I wasn't making a comment on your particular opinions, but simply responding to the twist on the "opinions are like assholes" saying.

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

Oh, then I am sorry.  :oops:

Since Godwin's Law isn't formal, it has been long-since (unspokenly) amended to include people who accuse others of being literal Nazis as a form of hyperbole.

If you honestly, truly believe that someone is an actual Nazi, you've got a pretty big burden of proof resting on your shoulders if you're going to invoke that opinion in an argument. Most of the time, you'll just not be taken seriously and people will assume that you're being hyperbolic and vitriolic.

:cn:

If (the general) you can't recognize the parallels in the rhetoric, method, and values of Trump and NAZIs, yeah I suppose it will look like hyperbole. I absolutely mean it literally.

The burden for proof that the current administration is just like the right wing, and thus the reactions of the left are unwarrented lies with YOU.

But what the hell:
"Intentionalist historians of Nazi Germany traditionally emphasize the unique role of Hitler in legitimizing and directing Nazi rule from the very beginning of the movement (Jaeckel 1972; Bracher 1979).7 On this view, German fascism is seen as a 'monocratic' system of rule (Alleinherrschaft) which is not only dependent on the ideological vision of the leader but on his personal decision making. As structuralist historians argue, however, this interpretation downplays the multi-dimensional nature of decision making in the Third Reich and the deliberate cultivation of the 'Führer myth' as a legitimation device, which allowed Nazi rulers to attribute policy successes to the leader while blaming lesser functionaries for the chaotic reality of polycratic rule (Broszat 1981; Mason 1971; Mommsen 1991b). As Kershaw points out, this allowed the Nazi elite to project an image of the Führer as a leader without sin, a person who could transcend sectional interests and rise above everyday political squabbles."