Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Protestors Are Assholes

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, November 16, 2016, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 17, 2016, 07:30:40 PM
Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 07:19:41 PM
You positioned the left and the right as equally opposing sides in regard to this election.

I said that was erroneous and gave my reasons.

Now we are in quibbling over definitions and what is and what is not Godwin's Law.

:lol:

Memo to self,1 reword a speech by Hitler to trump style.
2 claim its an actual speech by trump
3 ???
4 profit

That would be great.  I would pick one that does not talk about Jews, or else change references to them to Mexicans or Muslims.

LMNO

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 07:58:11 PM
SERIOUSLY! If that helps prevent some really nasty consequences for women and the environment and everything else under threat I would be okay with Dems drowning kittens. Filibustering is their job, and they will likely, as usual, fail at it.

I mean, Obama tried to give everyone healthcare, and the GOP shut the damn government down over it.

Pergamos

Quote from: LMNO on November 17, 2016, 08:02:15 PM
SERIOUSLY! If that helps prevent some really nasty consequences for women and the environment and everything else under threat I would be okay with Dems drowning kittens. Filibustering is their job, and they will likely, as usual, fail at it.

I mean, Obama tried to give everyone healthcare, and the GOP shut the damn government down over it.

That's actually not quite how it went.  Obama DID give everyone healthcare and then shut the government down when the GOP tried to take it away.  Obama was doing his job correctly.

LMNO

Quote from: Pergamos on November 17, 2016, 08:25:53 PM

That's actually not quite how it went.  Obama DID give everyone healthcare and then shut the government down when the GOP tried to take it away.  Obama was doing his job correctly.

[/Requia]

Salty

Quote from: LMNO on November 17, 2016, 08:30:52 PM
Quote from: Pergamos on November 17, 2016, 08:25:53 PM

[/Requia]

:lulz:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 06:00:23 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2016, 03:50:57 PM
See, I am always in favor of people losing their shit, whether it be ranting here or protesting there.  About more or less anything.  Or, hell, nothing at all.

Spoken like a true Discordian!

But I gotta say, I fail to see "protesting a Nazi and the people who elected him" as "nothing at all."

Well, first of all, if you're left-leaning politically, then you probably would sympathize. The real question is whether or not you condemn the people who, in 2008, claimed to be protesting a "Communist and the people who elected him".

Of course, if you think that Donald Trump is a literal Nazi, you probably have a fairly uncompromising position, and you are less likely to be interested in diplomacy between two incredibly powerful political institutions.

Congratulations! You've become an obstructionist and a filibusterer! (Just like "they" did.)

The more people are different, the more they are alike.

Or I've been paying attention a tad.

Godwin doesn't apply when there's actual Nazis involved.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 07:25:28 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 17, 2016, 06:53:07 PM
Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 06:10:34 PM
Since Godwin's Law isn't formal, it has been long-since (unspokenly) amended to include people who accuse others of being literal Nazis as a form of hyperbole.

"Literally: actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy"
"Hyperbole: an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally"

Correct. People sometimes use the word "literally" when they are, in fact, being hyperbolic.

It's an effort to have the best of both worlds in an argument. You get to hold an extreme position that you know nobody else will take seriously, and then if they later accuse you of being serious, you can simply say that you weren't.

OR HOW ABOUT:  Claim that your opponent is using hyperbole when he's dead serious, as a means to dismiss an argument.

Now, if this thread is going to be you making or altering other peoples' arguments for them, say so now, please.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2016, 08:45:16 PM
OR HOW ABOUT:  Claim that your opponent is using hyperbole when he's dead serious, as a means to dismiss an argument.

Now, if this thread is going to be you making or altering other peoples' arguments for them, say so now, please.

Am I attempting to dismantle an argument by claiming someone is being hyperbolic when they aren't?

I assumed that Vivat was being hyperbolic, and I explained why.

If you want to debate whether or not Trump objectively qualifies as a Nazi, I suggest you start a new thread. Until then, I will continue - in this thread - to view that accusation as an attempt to undermine what is essentially a straw-manning of my original point.

Original post: People who immediately protest the legitimate and democratic elections of Presidents are assholes and we either rationalize or ignore their behavior if we share the same political views or use them to demonize the opposing party if we don't.

Straw-manned argument: Conservatism and liberalism are equally valid points of view.

Argument against the straw-man: Conservatism is invalid because they are Nazis. Not just like Nazis, but actual, real, genuine Nazis.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 09:08:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2016, 08:45:16 PM

Am I attempting to dismantle an argument by claiming someone is being hyperbolic when they aren't?

I assumed that Vivat was being hyperbolic, and I explained why.

If you want to debate whether or not Trump objectively qualifies as a Nazi, I suggest you start a new thread. Until then, I will continue - in this thread - to view that accusation as an attempt to undermine what is essentially a straw-manning of my original point.

Original post: People who immediately protest the legitimate and democratic elections of Presidents are assholes and we either rationalize their behavior if they share the same political views or use them to demonize the opposing party if we don't.

Straw-manned argument: Conservatism and liberalism are equally valid points of view.

Argument against the straw-man: Conservatism is invalid because they are Nazis. Not just like Nazis, but actual, real, genuine Nazis.

:lulz:

LONG LIVE VIVAT!

Salty

WHOOOOOOO, I just can't get over that. Never did I imagine someone on this board would roll along with that cheap gag.

Salty

FTR, you assuming things seems to be your approach to discourse here.

Good luck with that.

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 09:17:22 PM

Please, feel free to provide me with a list of things that you think I've inaccurately assumed.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 09:28:19 PM

Please, feel free to provide me with a list of things that you think I've inaccurately assumed.

And then what? Do your laundry? Cut up your food? You are, presumably, a grown human. Surely, you can go back and hazard a guess.

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 17, 2016, 09:36:58 PM
Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 17, 2016, 09:28:19 PM

And then what? Do your laundry? Cut up your food? You are, presumably, a grown human. Surely, you can go back and hazard a guess.

My mistake, I assumed that your criticism was in earnest.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Cainad (dec.)

Any protest that doesn't piss off a lot of people and seem totally unreasonable to outsiders is probably a shitty protest.