News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

WHERE'S YOUR GODWIN, NOW?

Started by Salty, November 17, 2016, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:07:22 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 18, 2016, 09:52:28 PM
Apparently you feel like I was somehow involved thereafter or that this is something being done to you by me and "the gang" somehow. It's not. Folks here have their own very diverse interests.

By "you", I meant to refer to the active majority of the subforum as a whole.

Maybe it's on you noob.

The only thing that's on me is to keep adding unreasonable, irrational, non-malleable and rude motherfuckers to my ignore list. If someone can't hold a conversation without telling someone else to "eat seven dicks", then they don't need to be in a conversation with me.

It's OK; it doesn't get in the way of continuing to make fun of you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:54:14 PM
Yes, it can, and I just quoted it for you. I came here because I appreciate the symbol of the Chao. Is that not an adequate answer? Why do any of us come to discussion forums? Some of us are here for self-affirmation, obviously, which I think is a fallacy (and one that I'm probably not immune to). Some of us come to them to challenge ourselves and others. Some come to make friends, some come to make enemies. Some of us come because we are aliens in human skin who think making prank chatroulette visits is a productive way to spend our time. The question of why I am here is of no more importance than the question of why anybody else is.

Shit fuck damn, just look at how tedious that is. It's the internet forum post version of ironic sideburns.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay.  I ain't gonna lie.

I just sharted.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

"Literally a nazi" is a very specific charge. That is the issue. If you said he was "nazi-like" or just "nazi" as hyperbole or metaphor that would be an accurate assessment, but literally a literal nazi is not. There's more to being a nazi than just being a white supremicist and a douchebag; they represent a very specific subset of white supremicist douchebags.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Salty

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 20, 2016, 12:59:39 AM
"Literally a nazi" is a very specific charge. That is the issue. If you said he was "nazi-like" or just "nazi" as hyperbole or metaphor that would be an accurate assessment, but literally a literal nazi is not. There's more to being a nazi than just being a white supremicist and a douchebag; they represent a very specific subset of white supremicist douchebags.

:treefucker:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

The real problem is that a comparison to Nazism is pretty much the worst it can get, just shy of calling someone Satan. That's why it's the debate-killer; it's can't be reasoned with. Once someone starts saying "X is just like the Nazis," then the conversation is over. The conversation is even more over when the person making the comparison tries to derail the entire debate into some kind of conspiratorial drivel intended to substitute a rational and convincing argument. When you fail to be convinced, they'll scream that you're an idiot for not understanding what they can see so clearly.

It's intellectual dishonesty, and its only purpose is to shut the whole thing down. Google is awash with what seem like legitimate attempts to equate any popular politician with Hitler. Even fucking Bernie Sanders gets the Godwin treatment.

This is especially disheartening when the conversation is about trying to get Americans to stop demonizing other Americans. It's responsible for the further polarization of politics, and part of the reason we're in a perpetual state of hyperbolic civil war.

Is that what the people calling themselves "Discordians" want?
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 20, 2016, 03:08:29 AM

The real problem is that a comparison to Nazism is pretty much the worst it can get, just shy of calling someone Satan. That's why it's the debate-killer; it's can't be reasoned with. Once someone starts saying "X is just like the Nazis," then the conversation is over. The conversation is even more over when the person making the comparison tries to derail the entire debate into some kind of conspiratorial drivel intended to substitute a rational and convincing argument. When you fail to be convinced, they'll scream that you're an idiot for not understanding what they can see so clearly.

It's intellectual dishonesty, and its only purpose is to shut the whole thing down. Google is awash with what seem like legitimate attempts to equate any popular politician with Hitler. Even fucking Bernie Sanders gets the Godwin treatment.

This is especially disheartening when the conversation is about trying to get Americans to stop demonizing other Americans. It's responsible for the further polarization of politics, and part of the reason we're in a perpetual state of hyperbolic civil war.

They hate Gays.
They hate foreigners.
They have singled out a particular religion to shit on.
They have specific and archaic ideas on the roles of women.
They are populists.
Their central tenets are nothing less than fascism.

If it looks like a Nazi and goose-steps like a Nazi, it's a fucking Nazi.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 20, 2016, 01:57:05 AM

:treefucker:

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 19, 2016, 05:01:43 AM
Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 10:54:14 PM
Yes, it can, and I just quoted it for you. I came here because I appreciate the symbol of the Chao. Is that not an adequate answer? Why do any of us come to discussion forums? Some of us are here for self-affirmation, obviously, which I think is a fallacy (and one that I'm probably not immune to). Some of us come to them to challenge ourselves and others. Some come to make friends, some come to make enemies. Some of us come because we are aliens in human skin who think making prank chatroulette visits is a productive way to spend our time. The question of why I am here is of no more importance than the question of why anybody else is.

Shit fuck damn, just look at how tedious that is. It's the internet forum post version of ironic sideburns.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 20, 2016, 03:28:04 AM
They hate Gays.

Even the fucking Allied Powers hated gays. They bullied Alan Turing into killing himself, and not with lame insults either, by fucking drugging him.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 20, 2016, 05:39:27 AM
They hate Gays.

Even the fucking Allied Powers hated gays. They bullied Alan Turing into killing himself, and not with lame insults either, by fucking drugging him.

Well, that certainly excuses Trump, doesn't it?

Be proud.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 20, 2016, 03:08:29 AM
It's responsible for the further polarization of politics, and part of the reason we're in a perpetual state of hyperbolic civil war.

Yes?  :holyman:

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 20, 2016, 06:33:47 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 20, 2016, 05:39:27 AM
They hate Gays.

Well, that certainly excuses Trump, doesn't it?

Be proud.

Hey, I'm not pro-Trump, I voted for Hillary, she's better than Trump no contest. Hell, even if it somehow turned out that she really did kill Vince Foster she'd still be better than Trump. I voted for her firm in the onowledge that even if against all odds all of these dubious conspiracy theories about her somehow turned out to be true even all of them together wouldn't make her a poorer choice than Donald Trump because Donald Trump is that poor of a choice. That doesn't make Trump a literal nazi or Hillary a good person.