News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

WHERE'S YOUR GODWIN, NOW?

Started by Salty, November 17, 2016, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 03:23:36 AM
The litmus test of Godwin's Law is providing a meaningful comparison. That requires an awfully convincing argument that stands to scrutiny. Between this thread and what's been argued in "Protestors Are Assholes", I have yet to see a single one.

Hell, I haven't even seen an attempt at one. All you have to do is show up, say someone you don't like is literally a Nazi, and then watch the ensuing discussion destroy itself. You may as well just drop the fag bomb.

Damn, I love the smell of butthurt on a crisp autumn evening.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 18, 2016, 04:05:32 AM
The litmus test of Godwin's Law is providing a meaningful comparison. That requires an awfully convincing argument that stands to scrutiny. Between this thread and what's been argued in "Protestors Are Assholes", I have yet to see a single one.

Hell, I haven't even seen an attempt at one. All you have to do is show up, say someone you don't like is literally a Nazi, and then watch the ensuing discussion destroy itself. You may as well just drop the fag bomb.

Smells like ozone and weed!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This forum aside, have you really been unable to find essays or news articles that meaningfully compare Trump's rhetoric and policy proposals to Hitler?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 18, 2016, 04:08:10 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 18, 2016, 04:05:32 AM

Smells like ozone and weed!

I'm starting to thing this guy is maybe 17, tops. It's like he just woke up this year.

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 18, 2016, 04:14:39 AM
This forum aside, have you really been unable to find essays or news articles that meaningfully compare Trump's rhetoric and policy proposals to Hitler?

You mean when I'm not experiencing massive "butthurt"?

I've found plenty of people trying to draw comparisons between Trump and Hitler. There's also about eight-years-worth of people who tried to convince the world that Obama was like Hitler.

None of it is or ever has been the least bit convincing. The only people who subscribe to this kind of stuff are wingbats, because wingbats don't tend to be critical thinkers.

And honestly: what's the fucking point? We don't have laws that say you can't be President if you remind people of Hitler. Congratulations, you think the President is a Nazi. That attitude doesn't do you the least bit of good - unless, of course, your goal is to be laughed out of every conversation you have that isn't in an echo chamber.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

The Wizard Joseph

But what if I told you that Nazis are comparing him to Hitler? What if there's evidence of his complicity in this AT MINIMUM. Have you ever wondered why Hillary Clinton declared Pepe the frog an enemy of the state?

Does his open appointment of Bannon to an "advisory" position and nepotism not cobcern you in a "Maybe is like unto Hitler" kind of way?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 18, 2016, 05:24:34 AM
But what if I told you that Nazis are comparing him to Hitler?

I expect ignorance from Nazis.

What if there's evidence of his complicity in this AT MINIMUM.

Complicity in getting votes from white nationalists? Really isn't enough to justify comparing them to Hitler.

Have you ever wondered why Hillary Clinton declared Pepe the frog an enemy of the state?

Because Hitler? I guess? I'm guessing it has something to do with Hitler.

Does his open appointment of Bannon to an "advisory" position and nepotism not cobcern you in a "Maybe is like unto Hitler" kind of way?

No, because comparing someone to Hitler is unoriginal, unhelpful, unconstructive. It doesn't get anything done. It just makes you feel good about being afraid.

You sound like assholes. You want to convince someone that a guy is comparable to Hitler? Maybe try writing an essay or something.

Let me put it this way: Hitler is like the clitoris. You don't just go stampeding straight towards it and blow your load; you work your way down, slowly, with forethought and tenderness. Going zero-to-Hitler turns everyone else off unless you have literally the best argument anyone has ever come up with, because people are constantly comparing anyone they don't like to goddamned Hitler.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Salty

Huh, it's weird. I've only ever compared Trump's rise to powers with Hitler's. Nobody else. Then again that can't be right because:

Quotepeople are constantly comparing anyone they don't like to goddamned Hitler.
/
:crybaby:

Salty

WAIT A SECOND.

Quote from: Hitler on November 18, 2016, 05:39:44 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 18, 2016, 05:24:34 AM
But what if I told you that Nazis are comparing him to Hitler?

I expect ignorance from Nazis.

What if there's evidence of his complicity in this AT MINIMUM.

Complicity in getting votes from white nationalists? Really isn't enough to justify comparing them to Hitler.

Have you ever wondered why Hillary Clinton declared Pepe the frog an enemy of the state?

Because Hitler? I guess? I'm guessing it has something to do with Hitler.

No, because comparing someone to Hitler is unoriginal, unhelpful, unconstructive. It doesn't get anything done. It just makes you feel good about being afraid.

You sound like assholes. You want to convince someone that a guy is comparable to Hitler? Maybe try writing an essay or something.

Let me put it this way: Hitler is like the clitoris. You don't just go stampeding straight towards it and blow your load; you work your way down, slowly, with forethought and tenderness. Going zero-to-Hitler turns everyone else off unless you have literally the best argument anyone has ever come up with, because people are constantly comparing anyone they don't like to goddamned Hitler.

*GASPS*

MORE LIKE 12 HITLERS, IF YOU ASK ME.

Salty

169% HITLER NOOB UP IN HERE!!!!!!!1!!!

Quote from: Vivat Alty on November 18, 2016, 05:43:15 AM
Huh, it's weird. I've only ever compared Trump's rise to powers with Hitler's. Nobody else. Then again that can't be right because:

Quotepeople are constantly comparing anyone they don't like to goddamned Hitler.
/
:crybaby:

People in general, dingus; not individual people doing it over and over again. But now that you mention it, just because you haven't done it yourself means that nobody else could, right?

I can't even tell what you're arguing at this point.
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 05:50:09 AM
people are constantly comparing anyone they don't like to goddamned Hitler.

If they weren't doing exactly this, Godwin's Law wouldn't exist in the first place.

Comparing someone to Hitler makes you sound like a retard. If you want to sound like a retard, by all means, feel free. In fact, make yourself sound even more retarded by digging in your heels and claiming that "No, really, they are literally like Hitler and if you just Google it you'll see all the reasons why!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 05:39:44 AM

First of all, you don't know shit about my clitoris and should not fucking talk for everyone even if you aren't a Ron Paul sockpuppet and have a vagina.

Second,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-the-age-of-trump-grim-warnings-from-holocaust-survivors/2016/01/27/c65ea38c-c549-11e5-8965-0607e0e265ce_story.html?utm_term=.fb64fad6b633

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 05:54:29 AM
Quote from: chinagreenelvis on November 18, 2016, 05:50:09 AM

If they weren't doing [exactly this](http://louderwithcrowder.com/actually-hillary-clinton-is-more-like-hitler-than-trump/), Godwin's Law wouldn't exist in the first place.

Comparing someone to Hitler makes you sound like a retard. If you want to sound like a retard, by all means, feel free. In fact, make yourself sound even more retarded by digging in your heels and claiming that "No, really, they are literally like Hitler and if you just Google it you'll see all the reasons why!"

Learn2quote.

"louderwithcrowder.com"? What is that? Why not just go whole-hog and try to make your point with Facebook screenshots?

Salty

Quote from: Hitler on November 18, 2016, 05:54:29 AM
Quote from: Hitler on November 18, 2016, 05:50:09 AM

If they weren't doing [exactly this](http://louderwithcrowder.com/actually-hillary-clinton-is-more-like-hitler-than-trump/), Godwin's Law wouldn't exist in the first place.

God, you are so smart, Hitler. When you put it like that, you know, it really makes sense. You argument is really coming together. The 2 way street of communication is getting paved like a motherfucker.