News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 23, 2018, 03:50:20 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 21, 2018, 10:12:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2018, 07:57:34 PM
they are more or less saying "WE'RE DOING EVIL THINGS AND WE KNOW IT"

To be fair, people caring about things is what caused this whole mess. This is all happening because people were worried about illegal immigration and the fate of the manufacturing industry. If people had cared less then there would be no need for people to care now
These people care about "winning." They do this at the cost of reason. Argument has no dominion, only numbers.

LMNO

Well, Justice Kennedy is retiring next month. Trump gets two SCOTUS picks.

Pack 'em up, folks. We had a good run. Last one in the building, hit the lights on your way out.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 27, 2018, 07:59:37 PM

Pack 'em up, folks. We had a good run. Last one in the building, hit the lights on your way out.

I'm not sorry to see Kennedy go, EXCEPT for the fact that McConnell gets another pick.
Molon Lube

Cain

There is nothing the Congressional Dems can actually do to stop this, right? 

Looking at his list of approved nominees, they're all either Scalia fans, or Cruz/McConnell toadies.  So, that will go well.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 27, 2018, 11:26:18 PM
There is nothing the Congressional Dems can actually do to stop this, right? 

Looking at his list of approved nominees, they're all either Scalia fans, or Cruz/McConnell toadies.  So, that will go well.

If they had a set of balls, they could delay it until the heat death of the universe.

But look at Schumer and let me know if you think he's going to grow a spine at any time in the near future.
Molon Lube

Cain

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 27, 2018, 11:29:04 PM
Yeah, you're screwed.

When I heard we were losing a Justice, I about shit because I thought it would be RBG.  Kennedy is already a McConnell creature, he just doesn't look the part.  No visible trail of slime, etc.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Not sure how Dems could stop this, regardless of ball size. The GOP killed the filibuster, and they've got 51%.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 27, 2018, 11:52:04 PM
Not sure how Dems could stop this, regardless of ball size. The GOP killed the filibuster, and they've got 51%.

There are ways.  Committee shenanigans, procedural adventures, taking the maximum time for debate for EVERYONE (which they are already doing, in most cases), etc.
Molon Lube

Cain

Though I find it extremely doubtful that any have sufficient spine, 2 Republican senators siding with the Democrats would be enough to slow things down considerably.

Flake's still around, touting his Never Trump credentials.  Same with McCain.  They wont help, but they could.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 28, 2018, 02:17:11 AM
Though I find it extremely doubtful that any have sufficient spine, 2 Republican senators siding with the Democrats would be enough to slow things down considerably.

Flake's still around, touting his Never Trump credentials.  Same with McCain.  They wont help, but they could.

Yep.  Flake lives up to his name.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

The problem is the Never Trump stuff is, with the possible exception of Susan Collins, just empty feel-good schmoozing. When it comes down to it, Flake will go with whatever 0uts a rabidly pro-Business justice on the court, preferably at 2 AM while the Democrats are busy sleeping off a party they just threw themselves for stopping some inconsequential momentary outrage. He doesn't care for how Trump does things, but he isn't losing any sleep over what he's doing.

And as the months pass without any serious threat to this administration, I get the impression most of that Never Trump baloney is melting away as GOP incumbents realize there really is no political penalty in America for being a fullblown fascist.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Well, the whole situation is ridiculous, so might as well make a mockery of the whole thing.

QuoteAs the White House faces court orders to reunite families separated at the border, immigrant children as young as 3 are being ordered into court for their own deportation proceedings, according to attorneys in Texas, California and Washington, D.C.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: LMNO on June 27, 2018, 07:59:37 PM

Wasn't Justice Kennedy a Republican anyway? It's my understanding that he was appointed by the previous demented president before this one (Ronald Regan)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: LuciferX on June 26, 2018, 08:47:48 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on June 23, 2018, 03:50:20 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 21, 2018, 10:12:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2018, 07:57:34 PM
they are more or less saying "WE'RE DOING EVIL THINGS AND WE KNOW IT"

To be fair, people caring about things is what caused this whole mess. This is all happening because people were worried about illegal immigration and the fate of the manufacturing industry. If people had cared less then there would be no need for people to care now
These people care about "winning." They do this at the cost of reason. Argument has no dominion, only numbers.

But think about it. The best plausible outcome for the rest of Donald Trump's presidency is that he goes back to the golf course and just stays there for the next 30 months*. That would be better even than if he resigned or was impeached or got shot or got flattened by a meteor, because in those scenarios we get president Pence; but if he blows if off entirely we don't get either.

Or going back a couple of administrations, things went from bad to worse after Bush stopped reading that book to those kids, didn't they? We got the War On Terror, and he signed the PATRIOT Act, and so forth.

*(or for 24 more months if Christianity is to be believed; "The beast was allowed to brag and claim to be God, and for 42 months it was allowed to rule" -Revelation 13:5, Contemporary English Version)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago