News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 25, 2018, 07:52:20 PM
I don't want people to suffer "to teach them a lesson". I just want them to suffer.

Then this is your time, and our nation is doing the work of the angels.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on July 25, 2018, 07:49:52 PM
Francisco Goya was right.

"I have now established myself in a most enviable manner. Those who require something of me must seek me out - I remain apart. I work for no one unless he is a high-ranking personality or a friend."

:?
Molon Lube

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on July 25, 2018, 08:00:00 PM
http://www.richardharrisartcollection.com/portfolio-view/francisco-goya-2/

Well, yes.  The act of brutalizing someone always brutalizes more than one person, because the person doing it is brutalized as well.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

On the flip side, you have Elin Ersson, a name worth googling today.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Wow.  That takes some considerable strength.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on July 25, 2018, 08:28:30 PM
Wow.  That takes some considerable strength.

Yes, it does.  Fortunately, she lives in a semi-civilized nation.  If she did it here, she'd never be seen again.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 25, 2018, 07:39:12 PM
It should be a capital offense to own, operate, work at, or view from afar any farm that isn't a 100+ story self-sufficient solar-powered skyscraper using the latest in hydroponic technology.

Since solar power scales with area, and power usage scales with volume (proportional to the height of the skyscraper), this seems counter-intuitive.  What numbers are you using in your power budget that gets you to 100 stories?

I have a sizable vegetable garden, and rent out two quarters of land.  I'd rather not be killed over an engineering error.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 25, 2018, 09:46:19 PM
It should be a capital offense to own, operate, work at, or view from afar any farm that isn't a 100+ story self-sufficient solar-powered skyscraper using the latest in hydroponic technology.

Since solar power scales with area, and power usage scales with volume (proportional to the height of the skyscraper), this seems counter-intuitive.  What numbers are you using in your power budget that gets you to 100 stories?

I have a sizable vegetable garden, and rent out two quarters of land.  I'd rather not be killed over an engineering error.

The great thing about tiny veggie farming is that we used leaded gasoline for 70 years.  The exhaust fumes fade away in seconds, but the lead residue is forever.

Also, if you're going to build giant farm arcologies, you use nuclear power, because the waste heat is just as valuable as the electricity, and you already have a giant goddamn water supply for the reactor.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 25, 2018, 09:46:19 PM

I think the idea is that you get better efficiency of use of resources when everything is laid out in a grid resourced over multiple levels, water distribution from top down, etc. The energyfoot print for 100 stories would be large but four story farms with solar on the top can be much more efficient then the same over a plateau.
100% solar powered farms are not likely to be efficient though, and the grid isn't ready to adapt to that because we don't have great energy storage and solar and wind result in reduced inertia on the grid, meaning the frequency can deviate more easily, low frequency results in brown or black outs, high frequency make transformer go boom.
I agree with more efficient use of space and resources for farms and supporting them with solar, combined heat and power, gas from pig shit and so on, solar alone isn't the magic wand.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

chaotic neutral observer

My main issue was with powering 100 stories purely from solar.  Four stories worth seems more in the range of common sense.  It's not as if conventional agriculture has a 100x sunlight surplus.

A nuclear-powered arcology might be a good way to proceed if we ever need to colonize Antarctica...
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

minuspace

Re: 4 story Farm- "Suns in Rowses" — or, "Growing upside Down"

Instead of building four vertical floors of solar-powered "greenhouse", there would be horizontal arrays of staggered 'axels'. Each axel would carry four sets of crop lengthwise, at 90deg. from each other round the axel's circumference. The placement of plants is staggered to allow free rotation of each axel w.r.t. the one's next to it. If plants vary in size sufficiently, the axel array itself can be arranged in circular manner. Space between axels is for solar panels powering LEDs for non top-side plants. Low-tech alternative uses mirrors, and axels turned by hand crank.

rong

on the subject of sun harnessing technology I thought I'd share this cuz it's kinda neat

words and pictures

a video
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 25, 2018, 06:48:06 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 25, 2018, 06:46:17 PM
The foreigners didn't vote for Trump. Even if they would have they didn't.

And we don't yet have the technology to replace tham all with machines (although hopefully that day will come soon)

You could easily be replaced with a predictive text generator.  Just to teach you a lesson or two, mind you.

Correction. I could be replaced with a Coke machine. Because my day job is retrieving bottles from numbered locations in a warehouse
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago