News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Gay nights at clubs in college-heavy neighborhoods can often incite the knuckle-draggers.

altered

Oooh. I just didn't go out at all. I meant to but time, motivation, location and knowledge were all lacking. Good to know, thanks.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 20, 2019, 08:01:11 AM
Quote from: nullified on March 20, 2019, 01:34:38 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 20, 2019, 01:17:22 AM
How ANY people feel. I don't care how ANY people feel.

And this, right here folks, is where any person, regardless of anything, drops off my give-a-fuck list.

If you don't care about how people feel, you are a fucking idiot. Not caring about how people feel is /diagnosable/. It's clinical sociopathy.

As a sociopath, by default, you are a little monster. You aren't part of the human tribe, because you don't give a fuck about that tribe. This follows because psychological well-being is proven to have a direct connection to real world outcomes. Miserable people are less effective and they fucking die earlier.

If you were a part of the human tribe, you'd care about that to at least some extent and want to minimize it for your clique in the tribe at least, bare minimum. That you do not makes you innately not a good person, because you bring nothing to the table for improving things. But it doesn't make you necessarily a bad person either.

Here is the thing, though. One day you might be a bad person. A big monster. Sociopaths so often do end up that way. Serial killers, cult leaders, the list continues.

The sociopath often creates more human suffering, since they don't care about how people are impacted by it. Those who hit that stage are all terrible. The world would be genuinely be better off without such people in it.

I want nothing to do with that, and so I want nothing to do with you. I'll just pretend you don't exist beyond the role of punching bag. Not that you should /care/, right?
I care about people's physical wellbeing (or, at least, about whether they live or die), I just don't care about their feelings (especially since these two concerns are often at odds). I have to go out of my way to not care how people feel. And not to identify with any major group. If you care how people feel and identify as part of a group it opens you up to all sorts of delusional thinking. Appeal to emotion, appeal to consequences, appeal to empathy, appeal to flattery, appeal to pity, tone policing, guilt by association, honor by association, argumentum ad populum, groupthink, tribalism, etc, etc, etc.

I have not actually freed myself from these attachments completely. With luck someday I will. I'd like to someday reach a point where no emotion enters my mind when assessing the truth or falsehood or a situation, and where I feel absolutely no connection whatsoever to any race, religion, ethnicity, nation, or gender. (I've given some idle consideration to having surgery on my amygdala and/or cingulum)

you might be on to something

enough brain damage will definitely make you a genius

chaotic neutral observer

I care about people's physical wellbeing (or, at least, about whether they live or die),
That is an emotional reaction, induced by your identification with humans as a group.  Do you care about the wellbeing of rodents, or insects, or small rocks?  Do you have an objective reason for caring more about one than the other?

I just don't care about their feelings (especially since these two concerns are often at odds).
A person's feelings (emotional state) can kill them.  Depression-related suicide is a thing.  Treating emotional and physical well-being separately is not valid.

I have not actually freed myself from these attachments completely. With luck someday I will.
Are you attached to the idea of freeing yourself from attachments?

I'd like to someday reach a point where no emotion enters my mind when assessing the truth or falsehood or a situation, and where I feel absolutely no connection whatsoever to any race, religion, ethnicity, nation, or gender. (I've given some idle consideration to having surgery on my amygdala and/or cingulum)
You seem to have a strong bias for becoming bias free.  This is a logical error.  Being open minded means not dismissing new data when it doesn't match your preconceptions.  It does not mean that you are not allowed to make interim conclusions from the available data, or negatively weight data which is clearly suspect.  You need not spend significant effort studying evidence that the Earth is flat.

"There's nothing in the middle of the road but a yellow stripe and dead armadillos." --Jim Hightower
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Con-troll on March 20, 2019, 05:50:20 AM
Fun thing I noticed. Debates tend to be kinda boring and one sided when a person being wrong is so wrong that basically everybodys against them. Not that I wished this particular topic had any power to sway forum consencus.

Still, there must be a theoretical opinion, that would split the crowd neatly by the middle. Is there any research done about this?

This isn't a debate.

But yes, there are such levers available, at least from a trolling POV.  For example, walking into a political debate page and saying "Can anyone explain to me WHY I should side with either the Israelis or the Palestinians?"

This is a case where there is no actual self-interest, but everyone freaks out pretty much 50/50.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I care about people's physical wellbeing (or, at least, about whether they live or die), I just don't care about their feelings

Nobody cares.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 20, 2019, 01:28:05 PM
I care about people's physical wellbeing (or, at least, about whether they live or die),
That is an emotional reaction, induced by your identification with humans as a group.  Do you care about the wellbeing of rodents, or insects, or small rocks?  Do you have an objective reason for caring more about one than the other?

I just don't care about their feelings (especially since these two concerns are often at odds).
A person's feelings (emotional state) can kill them.  Depression-related suicide is a thing.  Treating emotional and physical well-being separately is not valid.

I have not actually freed myself from these attachments completely. With luck someday I will.

I'd like to someday reach a point where no emotion enters my mind when assessing the truth or falsehood or a situation, and where I feel absolutely no connection whatsoever to any race, religion, ethnicity, nation, or gender. (I've given some idle consideration to having surgery on my amygdala and/or cingulum)
You seem to have a strong bias for becoming bias free.  This is a logical error.  Being open minded means not dismissing new data when it doesn't match your preconceptions.  It does not mean that you are not allowed to make interim conclusions from the available data, or negatively weight data which is clearly suspect.  You need not spend significant effort studying evidence that the Earth is flat.

"There's nothing in the middle of the road but a yellow stripe and dead armadillos." --Jim Hightower

He's one of those useless gobs of shit that thinks that you can subtract human emotions from human systems and get an accurate picture.

Sort of like saying you can subtract all the screaming people from around the horse in Guernica to understand what Picasso was trying to say.  It's deliberately damaging inbound signal.  It is the hallmark of the IDIOT.
Molon Lube

Con-troll

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2019, 04:02:36 PM

But yes, there are such levers available, at least from a trolling POV.  For example, walking into a political debate page and saying "Can anyone explain to me WHY I should side with either the Israelis or the Palestinians?"

Don't leave me hanging So which one is it? :lulz:
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2019, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 20, 2019, 01:28:05 PM

He's one of those useless gobs of shit that thinks that you can subtract human emotions from human systems and get an accurate picture.

Sort of like saying you can subtract all the screaming people from around the horse in Guernica to understand what Picasso was trying to say.  It's deliberately damaging inbound signal.  It is the hallmark of the IDIOT.

If he isn't a Rand stan, he should be.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 20, 2019, 08:07:29 AM
Identification is a soirce of bias. Only by being detached from a thing (and preferably making empirical measurements) can one understand it.

EDIT:
For example, Look at all the racist pseudoscience that came out of the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. The course of anthropological science was set back by 250 years because these assclowns couldn't put aside their vain petty affiliatiom with the white race and actually gather and examine their fucking data in an empirical manner. But instead they were compelled by their attachments to aggrandize their own tribe and somehow actually convinced themselves that race mattered in the context of day to day life (rather than only ever mattering in the context of the butterfly effect)

Or look at the DUMBASS saying that 80% of human interaction (emotion) doesn't count because he doesn't like it.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

He prob missed that the Vulcans are written as badly flawed characters, not ideal ones.

And that people who insist they are hyper-rational and try to reject emotions are usually just not aware of the emotions involved in their decision making.

In Beezlebub's Tales, there's a made-up term 'Hasnamuss'. It refers to someone who is real intellectual, and therefore thinks of themselves as the Homo Superior -- but yet has a diminished sensitivity and capacity to relate to others. They have lots of information, but no understanding, due to a lack of experience managing real life situations involving other people. This makes them some of the most dangerous people on the planet.

There's a parable about how humanity, at one point in prehistory, manages to overcome all these ego-related issues like vanity, territoriality, paranoia, the collective madness that drives us to war, etc... but then it gets destroyed when a hasnamuss invents politics.

I can get where the desire comes from - I too once thought that the world would be better off if we were all just rational computer-people. But emotions are an important component of processing how things really are - by blinding yourself to them, you're operating at diminished capacity.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on March 20, 2019, 04:27:19 PM

And that people who insist they are hyper-rational and try to reject emotions are usually just not aware of the emotions involved in their decision making.

Boom.  Boom, I say.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Eliezer Yudkowsky himself wrote an essay maintaining that a lack of emotion isn't rational.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Cramulus on March 20, 2019, 04:27:19 PM
He prob missed that the Vulcans are written as badly flawed characters, not ideal ones.

I mostly grew out of that in my early twenties.  Fragments remain, in the form of some cognitive inflexibility, and a certain glee in committing ad logicam (I don't care if your beliefs are correct, your reasons for believing them are WRONG!)

It broke down when I found that pure rationality reduces to a type of nihilism.  Logic is a useful tool for answering questions, or helping you achieve your goals, but it won't tell you what basic questions you need to ask, or what your goals should be.

"What do you want?"  There is no logical answer.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

LMNO