News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 01, 2017, 06:39:14 PM
Idiots staff again showing themselves up. I do hope a very expensive lawyer explains to them very slowly that it's not libel when you're reporting facts. Or for entertainment purposes, which I understand to be one of the main reasons fox insists it isn't reporting news.

In vaguely related news, Alex Jones lost his divorce battle after pulling the "it's all an act" card. Which is going to make anything he says even more worthless in the future. I hope.

"It's not what you say it's how you say it" is now literally so true that the fate of civilization as we know it hangs in the balance.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

Also, the fact that the president is now "looking into" a constitutional amendment in order to get rid of the freedom of speech because his royal ego cannot handle criticism, even criticism based on fact, should sound certain alarms. Can't necessarily hear those alarms above all the other alarms going off, but still.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A President advocating legal restrictions on criticizing the administration should be taken as a direct threat to democracy, but unfortunately, I think a lot of Americans don't really understand or care.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 01, 2017, 09:40:21 PM
A President advocating legal restrictions on criticizing the administration should be taken as a direct threat to democracy, but unfortunately, I think a lot of Americans don't really understand or care.

It's a little worse than that, around 50% probably agree with idiot and think it should be dealt with immediately.

I would be very surprised if you told me more than 50% of americans even know the difference between slander and libel. I'm doubtful even 10% of the UK population can.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on May 01, 2017, 09:25:04 PM
Also, the fact that the president is now "looking into" a constitutional amendment in order to get rid of the freedom of speech because his royal ego cannot handle criticism, even criticism based on fact, should sound certain alarms. Can't necessarily hear those alarms above all the other alarms going off, but still.

This is the future I was warned about promised by Phillip K Dick.

And it demonstrates the value of the opposition chewing on it's own skin and screeching that the other side of the left are the worst people ever. 

America earned this shit.  The right by actively wanting it, and the left by being more concerning with attention-whoring than in stopping it.

I shit on everyone involved.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

A disgustingly large percentage of Americans now openly identify with their nationalist bigotry more strongly than with the supposed ideological foundations of this country. It's why the moderates and the liberals are so off balance. We* have spent a long time convincing ourselves that "patriots" must be susceptible to an appeal to the better sides of "American" idealism -- that equality, progress, and liberty must be their intention, it's just that their fervent conservatism is just a misguided approach to these. Well, as it happens, not so much really. The hard-right are now reveling in their newfound freedom from having to so much as pay lip service to such ideals. It was everything we could not believe because it was too horrible to fathom.

If only we had actually listened to the entire classes of people who have been screaming about this for fifty years.

* "We" in this context means all of us comfortable and highly intelligent "Liberals" who always knew for sure that history was just a long march in a straight line toward Utopia.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on May 02, 2017, 02:54:50 AM
A disgustingly large percentage of Americans now openly identify with their nationalist bigotry more strongly than with the supposed ideological foundations of this country. It's why the moderates and the liberals are so off balance. We* have spent a long time convincing ourselves that "patriots" must be susceptible to an appeal to the better sides of "American" idealism -- that equality, progress, and liberty must be their intention, it's just that their fervent conservatism is just a misguided approach to these. Well, as it happens, not so much really. The hard-right are now reveling in their newfound freedom from having to so much as pay lip service to such ideals. It was everything we could not believe because it was too horrible to fathom.

If only we had actually listened to the entire classes of people who have been screaming about this for fifty years.

* "We" in this context means all of us comfortable and highly intelligent "Liberals" who always knew for sure that history was just a long march in a straight line toward Utopia.

I think my years of ranting place me outside of the "we" category.  I knew this shit was going to happen, and hollered about it right here 15 years ago.

I don't think this makes me smarter or more insightful, just more pessimistic and misanthropic...And even MY doomsaying turned out to be idiotically optimistic.

And I will go on record here and now as saying it isn't going to improve.  The smart liberals are too busy shitting in their own nest to be bothered and the other side is the problem.

But at least we can all wear smug grins and say "I told you so", which has to count for something.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 01, 2017, 06:39:14 PM
Idiots staff again showing themselves up. I do hope a very expensive lawyer explains to them very slowly that it's not libel when you're reporting facts.

That's alright though - they can just put the barrier for libel so low that they can't fail to win.

It will completely destroy freedom of speech, but since when has Trump cared about that?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 02, 2017, 03:08:45 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on May 02, 2017, 02:54:50 AM

I think my years of ranting place me outside of the "we" category.  I knew this shit was going to happen, and hollered about it right here 15 years ago.

I don't think this makes me smarter or more insightful, just more pessimistic and misanthropic...And even MY doomsaying turned out to be idiotically optimistic.

And I will go on record here and now as saying it isn't going to improve.  The smart liberals are too busy shitting in their own nest to be bothered and the other side is the problem.

But at least we can all wear smug grins and say "I told you so", which has to count for something.

I don't disagree we should have done more. But I am not smart enough to know what "more" consists of.

Cain

Jeff Sessions has decided to just ignore freedom of speech entirely:

QuoteThese details are all salient for the legal case, but it's important not to lose sight of the big picture here: The federal government is literally prosecuting someone for laughing. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Justice Department — which Sessions now leads as attorney general — is doing the prosecuting when the laughter was directed at its leader. At the very least, it's not a good look for the top law enforcement agency in the country.

Junkenstein

Whichever way this goes, I'm sure of one thing: it's going to be funny.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 01, 2017, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 01, 2017, 09:40:21 PM

It's a little worse than that, around 50% probably agree with idiot and think it should be dealt with immediately.

I would be very surprised if you told me more than 50% of americans even know the difference between slander and libel. I'm doubtful even 10% of the UK population can.

Thank you for correcting a statement that didn't need correction in order to agree with me while looking like you're contradicting me, I guess?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

MithridatesXXIII

This happens on reddit all the time. It's quite a pet peeve of mine.

[Implies disagreement or correction follows]
[statement has orthogonal truth value or relevance]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on May 03, 2017, 06:46:37 PM
This happens on reddit all the time. It's quite a pet peeve of mine.

[Implies disagreement or correction follows]
[statement has orthogonal truth value or relevance]

Seems like it's mostly a dude thing, though my mom does it all the time too so maybe not. "Well, actually... [implied disagreement that doesn't actually contradict anything anyone has said]"

I think it's a way of trying to look more knowledgeable about the subject than the other person. It's really annoying and it's a bad habit I wish would die forever.

MithridatesXXIII

I concur. Then when you get spectators reacting as though the person just "scored a point" by making these asinine statements, that is the icing on cake.