News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Mythos

The entire Republican Party is becoming a Russian asset

As per the article:

"We can speculate on exactly why Trump has been so eager to become Putin's flunky; it's obviously a complicated story with roots that go back decades. But what about the rest of the GOP? Some of them have embraced the annexation of their party with gusto, while others are clearly more reluctant. But let's not forget that they were reluctant to make peace with Trump's takeover of the GOP, too. Eventually, they realized that since Trump had captured the hearts of the Republican base, they had no choice but to get on board if they wanted to survive.

The same has happened, and will likely continue to happen, with Russia. Had you told them 10 years ago that Russian intelligence was going to mount a comprehensive assault on an American election, they'd say that they would respond to such an attack with a furious rage and leave no stone unturned in learning every detail about it so that any collaborators could be mercilessly punished and no such attack could ever occur again. Today though, they're mostly eager to get everyone to think about something else.

It may be because they've convinced themselves that no tactic is too repugnant, no alliance is too distasteful, and no moral compromise is too loathsome when you're serving the lofty goal of keeping Democrats from power. Or it may be that they're terrified that their rabid base will decide that they are insufficiently devoted to the cult of Trump. Whatever the reasons, they've traveled a long way down this road already, and it doesn't look like they're turning back."

Here's the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/07/20/the-entire-republican-party-is-becoming-a-russian-asset/?utm_term=.f6698c388460
Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Cain

And then Trump claimed Russia was going to hack the elections...in favour of the Democrats.  You may remember me saying this a while back...

Quote from: Cain on May 17, 2018, 04:47:18 PM
Because it's all going according to plan.

Honestly, if I was a Russian intelligence operative, you know what I'd be planning right now? Blatantly and obviously supporting the Democrats in 2020, with a very clear crumb trail back to Moscow.

Trump will rage, likely declare the election illegitimate, may refuse to stand down if he loses, will definitely direct the DOJ to go after the Democrats if he somehow still wins.  Meanwhile, 50% of the voting population will think the other 50% are traitor-supporting scum.  Each side will be convinced the other is working with Russia, is illegitimate and unfit to rule.  Throw in a few coordinated protests, maybe encourage a bit of violence and then sit back and watch as the USA rips itself apart.

Russia doesn't care who sits in the White House.  It cares about paralysing the normal function of the US government, giving it a free hand in its near abroad and areas of interest like Syria.  Best way to do that is to take advantage of US hyperpartisanship, and that doesn't mean backing any one player fully.

Called it.  Totally called it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2018, 06:37:13 PM
And then Trump claimed Russia was going to hack the elections...in favour of the Democrats.  You may remember me saying this a while back...

Because it's all going according to plan.

Honestly, if I was a Russian intelligence operative, you know what I'd be planning right now? Blatantly and obviously supporting the Democrats in 2020, with a very clear crumb trail back to Moscow.

Trump will rage, likely declare the election illegitimate, may refuse to stand down if he loses, will definitely direct the DOJ to go after the Democrats if he somehow still wins.  Meanwhile, 50% of the voting population will think the other 50% are traitor-supporting scum.  Each side will be convinced the other is working with Russia, is illegitimate and unfit to rule.  Throw in a few coordinated protests, maybe encourage a bit of violence and then sit back and watch as the USA rips itself apart.

Russia doesn't care who sits in the White House.  It cares about paralysing the normal function of the US government, giving it a free hand in its near abroad and areas of interest like Syria.  Best way to do that is to take advantage of US hyperpartisanship, and that doesn't mean backing any one player fully.

Called it.  Totally called it.

It's worth mentioning that they are still hammering on the divide, with #Walkaway being a wholly-owned subsidiary of Putin.

I mean, what if he can support BOTH in 2020?  That would be even better, from his point of view.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Trump will rage, likely declare the election illegitimate, may refuse to stand down if he loses, will definitely direct the DOJ to go after the Democrats if he somehow still wins.
If someone starts a war or manufactures a significant external threat at around the same time, he would seem to have a path to declaring himself dictator-for-life.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 24, 2018, 10:11:25 PM
Trump will rage, likely declare the election illegitimate, may refuse to stand down if he loses, will definitely direct the DOJ to go after the Democrats if he somehow still wins.
If someone starts a war or manufactures a significant external threat at around the same time, he would seem to have a path to declaring himself dictator-for-life.

Everyone says that about every president ever.

There is no mechanism for suspending elections in wartime.  Even Lincoln had to stand for reelection in 1864.  Any president who tries that shit will be murdered by his best pals.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 24, 2018, 07:04:51 PM
I mean, what if he can support BOTH in 2020?  That would be even better, from his point of view.

True, but I think he'd find it very hard to pull off.  The brown-red alliance that Putin's friends on the left prefer to work through is pretty noticeably absent in the US...either he's going to engineer a miracle and somehow make the Greens the opposition (LOL), get Tulsi Gabbard in power, or he's left with deception.

And I agree, if Trump tried to stay in power, it would be civil war.  Which would suit Russia just fine...

minuspace

Hey guys, look at what LMNO did to the US this morning re:
   White House stops announcing calls with foreign leaders—
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/24/politics/foreign-leaders-call-white-house/index.html
Michael Allen, who was a member of the National Security Council during the George W. Bush administration, said that by halting the practice of issuing readouts, the White House loses "the action forcing event of an announced phone call."

Bruno

So now they're trying to do some kind of farmer relief bill, and give farmers $12Bn to help them get through this trade war?

And we just passed massive tax cuts, so we're going to have to borrow that money from China, whom we are now in a trade war with?

Have I got that right?
Formerly something else...

chaotic neutral observer

Since the tariffs don't apply to Brazil, they've been selling their soybeans to China at full price, while buying US soybeans for their own use at the tariff-induced discount.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2156195/soybean-giant-brazil-swoops-us-crop-china-trade-war
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-05/u-s-soy-prices-are-crumbling-as-trade-war-sparks-brazil-rally

One might argue that you're borrowing from China so that Brazil can sell them more soybeans.

This trade war does not appear to be well thought out.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Faust

It doesn't sound so bad, it's bringing people together, I'm sure China and Brazil have never been closer and if they do similar elsewhere Trump will be helping people make friends all around the world.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on July 25, 2018, 08:11:24 AM
So now they're trying to do some kind of farmer relief bill, and give farmers $12Bn to help them get through this trade war?

And we just passed massive tax cuts, so we're going to have to borrow that money from China, whom we are now in a trade war with?

Have I got that right?

Yes.  As an analogy, we stopped selling WalMart stuff and took a loan out from them instead, so we can pay our bills.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Screw the farms. They're mostly in red states. Let them reap the whirlwind
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago