News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well that's just it, isn't it? The atrocity I claim you're about to commit will justify the atrocity I want to commit.

So much of especially American conservative and far-right output is projection.  Once you start seeing it, it's uncanny.

altered

Quote from: Cain on March 16, 2019, 10:46:57 AM
Well that's just it, isn't it? The atrocity I claim you're about to commit will justify the atrocity I want to commit.

So much of especially American conservative and far-right output is projection.  Once you start seeing it, it's uncanny.

This reality's defective and I want a refund.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 16, 2019, 10:46:57 AM

That, yeah.  And also something about paying for past sins, and an infinite number of new sins to prevent that.
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: nullified on March 16, 2019, 02:58:49 AM
But Dok, the whites are whining about losing jobs to poor foreign minorities and the minorities are whining about being murdered and put in cages! Identical!

The abuses introduced by Trump and Bush are real, but my point is people found a way to feel persecuted even when things were going great during the Obama administration
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Pergamos

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 16, 2019, 05:08:15 PM
But Dok, the whites are whining about losing jobs to poor foreign minorities and the minorities are whining about being murdered and put in cages! Identical!

The abuses introduced by Trump and Bush are real, but my point is people found a way to feel persecuted even when things were going great during the Obama administration

As the Conservatives love to point out, Obama also murdered people and put them in cages...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on March 17, 2019, 09:20:08 PM

As the Conservatives love to point out, Obama also murdered people and put them in cages...

You're absolutely right.  I guess I won't bother voting this time, since the situations are absolutely identical, without any form of context.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

Maybe give a good example?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2019, 11:20:47 PM

You're absolutely right.  I guess I won't bother voting this time, since the situations are absolutely identical, without any form of context.

I was actually supporting your argument that minorities and women, unlike the nazis, are not manufacturing their oppression. I'm not suggesting Obama was just as bad.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 17, 2019, 11:20:47 PM

You're strawmanning me. I never said both sides were equally dangerous, just that they're both stupid and paranoid.

Quote from: The Johnny on March 18, 2019, 08:55:04 AM

Maybe give a good example?

The usual bullshit. Talking about slavery as if it had happened to them rather than having ended 30 or 40 years before the oldest people in the world were born. Blaming the continued existence of racism and sexism on people talking the wrong way and rolling out new politically correct terms to replace the old ones (or sometimes refurbished variants of really old ones; how is the term "people of color" any better than the term "colored people", how the fuck is talking like Yoda going to help anybody!? Politically correct speech is just a cheap easy pseudo-solution to a complex problem, the societal equivalent of trying to cure cancer by reciting long-winded prayers). Acting as if the KKK et al were representative of white people (which, BTW, is buying into the KKK's propaganda). Generalizing from isolated incidents. Acting as if non-minorities collectively comprised some kind od illuminati-like secret society that controls everything in an organized fashion. Affirming the consequent (All the politically powerful people are white men. Joe the Bum is a white man. Joe the bum is politically powerful).

Stuff that, while harmless (unlike the right's bullshit which is often actively harmful), is nevertheless really really stupid and undermines people's ability to take the left seriously.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 18, 2019, 08:40:49 PM
You're strawmanning me. I never said both sides were equally dangerous, just that they're both stupid and paranoid.

As is ANYONE in politics.  Even if you're a genius, to survive you have to let your paranoia make you stupid.  Some of them were just stupid to begin with, but the results are the same.

This applies to anyone and everyone running for office, anywhere, ever.

Quoteand undermines people's ability to take the left seriously.

Oh, no.  How will the left ever recover from this?

:lol:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 18, 2019, 08:40:49 PM

The usual bullshit. Talking about slavery as if it had happened to them rather than having ended 30 or 40 years before the oldest people in the world were born. Blaming the continued existence of racism and sexism on people talking the wrong way and rolling out new politically correct terms to replace the old ones (or sometimes refurbished variants of really old ones; how is the term "people of color" any better than the term "colored people", how the fuck is talking like Yoda going to help anybody!? Politically correct speech is just a cheap easy pseudo-solution to a complex problem, the societal equivalent of trying to cure cancer by reciting long-winded prayers). Acting as if the KKK et al were representative of white people (which, BTW, is buying into the KKK's propaganda). Generalizing from isolated incidents. Acting as if non-minorities collectively comprised some kind od illuminati-like secret society that controls everything in an organized fashion. Affirming the consequent (All the politically powerful people are white men. Joe the Bum is a white man. Joe the bum is politically powerful).

You really need to stop huffing that right wing talk radio. 
Molon Lube

Cain

Hey now Roger, it's not like current day wealth disparities can be directly traced to slavery or anything.  Black people just need to whine less.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2019, 09:28:31 PM
Hey now Roger, it's not like current day wealth disparities can be directly traced to slavery or anything.  Black people just need to whine less.

But how is anyone that is still alive in any way accountable for that? That's the part that bugs me. Even if people are still being very indirectly victimized it's not like any of the people responsible for it are still around to extract compensation from. Slavery has already ended, and the people responsible for it are all long dead. It may be true that black people are poor because their ancestors were poor because their ancestors' ancestors were slaves, but dwelling on the instigating factor that started it isn't going to do a damn thing to end the cycle of poverty. Dwelling on slavery is a distraction from ongoing problems like the discriminatory hiring and housing policies mentioned later in that same article and, most importantly of all, the general lack of upward economic mobility for the poor

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 18, 2019, 09:54:42 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2019, 09:28:31 PM

But how is anyone that is still alive in any way accountable for that? That's the part that bugs me. Even if people are still being very indirectly victimized it's not like any of the people responsible for it are still around to extract compensation from. Slavery has already ended, and the people responsible for it are all long dead. It may be true that black people are poor because their ancestors were poor because their ancestors' ancestors were slaves, but dwelling on the instigating factor that started it isn't going to do a damn thing to end the cycle of poverty. Dwelling on slavery is a distraction from ongoing problems like the discriminatory hiring and housing policies mentioned later in that same article and, most importantly of all, the general lack of upward economic mobility for the poor

Sweet Jesus, shut the fuck up.  You sound like Richard Spencer.  :lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

It's so tragic that PDS has to hear about peoples' gripes.  It's so fucking awful that he has to endlessly listen to shit that NOBODY IS ACTUALLY SAYING.  I mean, aside from AM radio jocks.  I feel just rotten about how PDS's quality of life has dropped based on this entire fiasco, and I hope that Laurie Schlessinger and Sean Hannity can help him out by owning the libs about all of this.
Molon Lube