News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 20, 2019, 01:17:22 AM
How ANY people feel. I don't care how ANY people feel.

And this, right here folks, is where any person, regardless of anything, drops off my give-a-fuck list.

If you don't care about how people feel, you are a fucking idiot. Not caring about how people feel is /diagnosable/. It's clinical sociopathy.

As a sociopath, by default, you are a little monster. You aren't part of the human tribe, because you don't give a fuck about that tribe. This follows because psychological well-being is proven to have a direct connection to real world outcomes. Miserable people are less effective and they fucking die earlier.

If you were a part of the human tribe, you'd care about that to at least some extent and want to minimize it for your clique in the tribe at least, bare minimum. That you do not makes you innately not a good person, because you bring nothing to the table for improving things. But it doesn't make you necessarily a bad person either.

Here is the thing, though. One day you might be a bad person. A big monster. Sociopaths so often do end up that way. Serial killers, cult leaders, the list continues.

The sociopath often creates more human suffering, since they don't care about how people are impacted by it. Those who hit that stage are all terrible. The world would be genuinely be better off without such people in it.

I want nothing to do with that, and so I want nothing to do with you. I'll just pretend you don't exist beyond the role of punching bag. Not that you should /care/, right?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on March 19, 2019, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 18, 2019, 08:40:49 PM
The usual bullshit. Talking about slavery as if it had happened to them rather than having ended 30 or 40 years before the oldest people in the world were born. Blaming the continued existence of racism and sexism on people talking the wrong way

the continued existence of racism and sexism is about people thinking the wrong way. Better language is one way of addressing it.

but we also live in a world where speech is a form of action

It's hard to visualize a world where racism has ended but people still use racist language. Combatting racist language is one form of making the world less racist.

And yet the continued need for new terms shows that this approach doesn't work. One year's politically correct term is the next year's racist term.

Quote from: Cramulus on March 19, 2019, 05:20:28 PM
So why would we stick with a word that's innaccurate and makes people feel bad? Is it so bad to say a few extra words? Everybody who's "anti-PC" has this "Hard Truth tellin" vibe to their arguments .. but isn't the deeper truth that they don't actually care how those people feel?

And a person who did care how people feel would be a poor choice to depend on for the truth. (Imagime, for example, a world where serious people of learning cared about the sense of comfort and belonging that people get from believing in a higher power.)

Quote from: nullified on March 19, 2019, 12:57:01 AM
Also, never forget sometimes the best way to get someone's attention is to be fucking obnoxious. Obnoxiousness is a skill to be honed for maximum utility. It is probably the first skill an agitator should learn, no matter their cause.

Well excuse me for not being swayed by people using the same debate tactics as Donald Trump. I'm sure you're all very stable geniuses.

We get it.  You're a proudboy.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on March 20, 2019, 01:34:38 AM

And this, right here folks, is where any person, regardless of anything, drops off my give-a-fuck list.

If you don't care about how people feel, you are a fucking idiot. Not caring about how people feel is /diagnosable/. It's clinical sociopathy.

As a sociopath, by default, you are a little monster. You aren't part of the human tribe, because you don't give a fuck about that tribe. This follows because psychological well-being is proven to have a direct connection to real world outcomes. Miserable people are less effective and they fucking die earlier.

If you were a part of the human tribe, you'd care about that to at least some extent and want to minimize it for your clique in the tribe at least, bare minimum. That you do not makes you innately not a good person, because you bring nothing to the table for improving things. But it doesn't make you necessarily a bad person either.

Here is the thing, though. One day you might be a bad person. A big monster. Sociopaths so often do end up that way. Serial killers, cult leaders, the list continues.

The sociopath often creates more human suffering, since they don't care about how people are impacted by it. Those who hit that stage are all terrible. The world would be genuinely be better off without such people in it.

I want nothing to do with that, and so I want nothing to do with you. I'll just pretend you don't exist beyond the role of punching bag. Not that you should /care/, right?

He's always been a useless edge-master.  He is good for precisely two things:

1.  Taking a funny thread idea and loading it down with 300 line posts until the joke is smashed into paste (fortune cookie thread, etc), and
2.  That's it, really.
Molon Lube

Con-troll

Fun thing I noticed. Debates tend to be kinda boring and one sided when a person being wrong is so wrong that basically everybodys against them. Not that I wished this particular topic had any power to sway forum consencus.

Still, there must be a theoretical opinion, that would split the crowd neatly by the middle. Is there any research done about this?
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

The Johnny

Quote from: Con-troll on March 20, 2019, 05:50:20 AM
Fun thing I noticed. Debates tend to be kinda boring and one sided when a person being wrong is so wrong that basically everybodys against them. Not that I wished this particular topic had any power to sway forum consencus.

Still, there must be a theoretical opinion, that would split the crowd neatly by the middle. Is there any research done about this?

Yes actually, theres this pair of internationally renowned scientists by the name of Sire and Aidrocsid that published a couple of papers in this very forum!

https://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,34331.0.html

https://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32516.0.html

As the conclusions seem to be intertwined in the text itself without a proper and dedicated section of "Conclusions", ill ennumerate them for you. So for a debate to actually be a productive activity (rather than just a recreational one) theres a number of items of a checklist that must be present:

1) All participants must be multicellular organisms, display some sort of sentience and posses an ability to communicate! Do not be easily fooled by some entities capacity to enunciate words in a grammatically approriate manner, for that does not denote neither sentience nor an ability to communicate! Weve noticed that certain species of parrots have acquired the ability to utilize keyboards, and altho they can mimic the usage of language they arent actually communicating! Weve also been notified of advanced chat drones that although can simulate conversations, in fact arent sentient and are just running conditioned iterations!

2) After weve established that the participant is indeed not a technologicaly saavy parrot not a drone, the participant must be able to be receptive to new information, which itself implies an ability to learn - but since the worlds educational systems are mostly based around memorization rather than true learning, people not only dread the thought of learning, but also dont know how to do it! Thus expecting someone to be receptive to new information or points of view sometimes is too much to ask, because it might make a boo boo on their precious Weltanschauung that they desperately clutch to with both hands.

Im sure theres other items to this checklist, but i ran out of steam  :roll:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I care about people's physical wellbeing (or, at least, about whether they live or die), I just don't care about their feelings (especially since these two concerns are often at odds). I have to go out of my way to not care how people feel. And not to identify with any major group. If you care how people feel and identify as part of a group it opens you up to all sorts of delusional thinking. Appeal to emotion, appeal to consequences, appeal to empathy, appeal to flattery, appeal to pity, tone policing, guilt by association, honor by association, argumentum ad populum, groupthink, tribalism, etc, etc, etc.

I have not actually freed myself from these attachments completely. With luck someday I will. I'd like to someday reach a point where no emotion enters my mind when assessing the truth or falsehood or a situation, and where I feel absolutely no connection whatsoever to any race, religion, ethnicity, nation, or gender. (I've given some idle consideration to having surgery on my amygdala and/or cingulum)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Bruno

So you can totally not understand humans better?  :? :? :?
Formerly something else...

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Identification is a soirce of bias. Only by being detached from a thing (and preferably making empirical measurements) can one understand it.

EDIT:
For example, Look at all the racist pseudoscience that came out of the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. The course of anthropological science was set back by 250 years because these assclowns couldn't put aside their vain petty affiliatiom with the white race and actually gather and examine their fucking data in an empirical manner. But instead they were compelled by their attachments to aggrandize their own tribe and somehow actually convinced themselves that race mattered in the context of day to day life (rather than only ever mattering in the context of the butterfly effect)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Bruno

Maybe you should find another subject besides humans, then?

Since you seem determines to be bad at it?
Formerly something else...

Con-troll

Quote from: The Johnny on March 20, 2019, 07:39:30 AM
Yes actually, theres this pair of internationally renowned scientists by the name of Sire and Aidrocsid that published a couple of papers in this very forum!

Very appreciated, I'll report back after reading through some of the 300 pages!
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

hooplala

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 20, 2019, 08:01:11 AM

I care about people's physical wellbeing (or, at least, about whether they live or die), I just don't care about their feelings (especially since these two concerns are often at odds). I have to go out of my way to not care how people feel. And not to identify with any major group. If you care how people feel and identify as part of a group it opens you up to all sorts of delusional thinking. Appeal to emotion, appeal to consequences, appeal to empathy, appeal to flattery, appeal to pity, tone policing, guilt by association, honor by association, argumentum ad populum, groupthink, tribalism, etc, etc, etc.

I have not actually freed myself from these attachments completely. With luck someday I will. I'd like to someday reach a point where no emotion enters my mind when assessing the truth or falsehood or a situation, and where I feel absolutely no connection whatsoever to any race, religion, ethnicity, nation, or gender. (I've given some idle consideration to having surgery on my amygdala and/or cingulum)

So, you do care... you just try not to. Cool.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: MMIX on March 19, 2019, 10:37:54 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 19, 2019, 06:59:24 PM
Not to strawman or anything, but PDS: did you protest when gay people said they didn't want to be called "faggot" anymore?
Just a quick observation about the vagaries of language and the ease with which your meaning can get inadvertently screwed:
gay person here, but I've never, ever, been called a faggot, though a neighbour did once call me a rug-muncher to my face. It made me laugh.

I think that's pretty awesome.  Sadly, you may not want to visit Boston any time soon.

I don't care how ANY people feel.

altered

What's wrong with Boston? Since I have every intent of moving back there when my life is gathered together a bit again.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Quote from: nullified on March 20, 2019, 12:49:28 PM
What's wrong with Boston? Since I have every intent of moving back there when my life is gathered together a bit again.

Oh, it's just that I've heard people yell "faggot" loudly and often.

altered

Ah. I guess in the parts I was in that somehow didn't happen a whole lot. Unless this is something very (like, September ish or later?) recent, or you're more on the south side I guess.