News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

i don't think i can watch the full barr testimony sober tbh. i watched all of cohen's and laughed the whole time but barr? idk man.

it's also interesting to see that cohen's testimony has pretty much disappeared beneath the surface. mueller's report came out after, of course, and that had been big news for two whole ass years, but it has arguably been more relevant based on the malarkey surrounding its release and subsequent stuff. like, ya know, barr.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Fujikoma

Cain

Well, Trump just declared executive privilege over the Mueller report.

altered

I have been too busy working on short-term survival (some of which has been keeping my brain held together, hence the stupid pointless research I've done) to check the news.

I remedied that just now, and the ... bickering isn't a strong enough word but it's the closest one I have, the bickering is terrifying.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I really need some insight: where does this go from here? Because I'm having a hard time putting this together in my head. The implications are enormous, far reaching, and extremely scary. And the reactions are both expected and incredibly dangerous. It feels like handing quibbling children loaded shotguns and telling them not to shoot each other.

Am I reading too deep into this situation? Or is this actually what it looks like from here (stressed, sleep deprived, just catching up to a week's lost news)?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Well, executive privilege isn't absolute, especially when it comes to a criminal investigation.

However, the precedent that states this, US v. Nixon...well, there was an ongoing impeachment process where Nixon was trying to hide the evidence. Obviously there isn't one here.

It could end up in the Supreme Court...which we know is iffy given two of those owe their seats to Trump and would likely never recuse themselves on that basis.

lexi

Quote from: nullified on May 08, 2019, 04:27:17 PM
I really need some insight: where does this go from here? Because I'm having a hard time putting this together in my head. The implications are enormous, far reaching, and extremely scary. And the reactions are both expected and incredibly dangerous. It feels like handing quibbling children loaded shotguns and telling them not to shoot each other.
There has already been blood on the streets, death and unaccountable trauma from the guy who devoted his inaugural address to "American Carnage", who routinely suggests that his apolitical base would riot to defend him, and whose allies have already hacked vital utilities and have the power to remotely disable and seize control of them. Extrapolating those trends with recent events leads to some very exciting futures indeed.

I also see the bricks being laid in a wall to contain him. He gains more detractors over time than supporters. I think the reason he is acting out in such desperation is because he knows all the reasons and then some he has to be afraid that and his family are going to lose their empire, "reputation", everything. I'm confident the institutions will continue playing whack-a-mole with him until they win, because that's what bureaucracy does. Eventually.

So how many of his supporters will riot to defend him? The solid 33% in polls that loves him unconditionally? Probably not. Some, I assume, are good people. The bottom third of those.. 11%.. enough to persuade a population in theory, just not in practice during the last two fucking never-ending years.

trump divides with godlike power, and the US Aftermath is heading serenely out of port, destination known with horrifying certainty - but how many magas will jump when the future slowly dawns on them too?

As wretchedly frustrating as watching this entire show is, the longer this process goes on.. perhaps the better?

Six More Years  :lulz:

Juana

what Cain said. also, if it does go to court, i fully expect it to be another example of the executive branch laughing at the judicial branch and doing what it wants anyway.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Quote from: Juana on May 08, 2019, 08:18:29 PM
what Cain said. also, if it does go to court, i fully expect it to be another example of the executive branch laughing at the judicial branch and doing what it wants anyway.

This is why Congress needs an enforcement arm.

I mean, I suppose they could issue Letters of Marque and get Dyncorp to quit diddling boys for five minutes and storm the DoJ to secure the documents, but it seems like overkill.

Juana

wouldn't matter if they did, i reckon. their ability to punish the DoJ for contempt is super fucking limited and i am reasonably certain that even if they did have an enforcement arm, all the same legalities would apply.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on May 08, 2019, 08:29:17 PM
Quote from: Juana on May 08, 2019, 08:18:29 PM

This is why Congress needs an enforcement arm.

I mean, I suppose they could issue Letters of Marque and get Dyncorp to quit diddling boys for five minutes and storm the DoJ to secure the documents, but it seems like overkill.

No, that's actuly a good idea
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

altered

I knew the libertarian sociopath would be on board with Letters of Marque. :roll:
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

https://apple.news/AwmgIdiQkQHivCzw9ykPB5Q

Our Commander-in-Chief and President, tacitly supporting suggestions that immigrants should be fucking shot, while we're going through a massive spate of hate crimes and school shootings, almost all by white citizens (certainly every single one I've seen has been, but I'm gonna leave the door open), not to mention police shootings of unarmed civilians.

If we already gun down unarmed civilians as part and parcel of our law enforcement regime, if we already have a problem with violence against minorities that nothing is being done about, and if we already have gun violence in our damn schools that isn't being stopped, what sort of message does laughing off "Shoot them!" send?

Of course, I'm nigh certain no one here needed this outlined. But as a first-thing-in-the-morning sort of deal, it's infuriating to have to see this shit. It's given me some inspiration, in fact.

Juana

:horrormirth: at this point, man, i'm just waiting for him to make a joke about camps or stripping Latine citizens of their citizenship.

Cain

Quote from: Juana on May 08, 2019, 08:34:31 PM
wouldn't matter if they did, i reckon. their ability to punish the DoJ for contempt is super fucking limited and i am reasonably certain that even if they did have an enforcement arm, all the same legalities would apply.

Options become a lot less limited when backed up with enforcement mechanisms.  I'm not necessarily saying all political power grows out of the barrel of a gun, just that it helps.