News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Yeah. I've played Plague Inc for many years. It not a truly realistic simulation, it's a game, but as I read the news it's

1 airborne. I have many times slain all humaity with just this vector in a virus due to high mutation chance alone.

2 animalborne. This vector can be worst because the carrier animal may very well be asymptomatic and carry for life and shortly after death. Viruses with this vector are fucking horrible because of increased chance of mutation as it passes through novel animal systems and overcomes immune systems. I think this one is in play if a rumour I heard that China is encouraging pet euthanasia.

3 surface tenacity. Lysol or alcohol work fine for coron virus sanitizer, but unsanitized surfaces may remain infectious long after the water from a sneeze on a table, say, has dried up and become basically imperceptible. Resisting dessication for a time makes all the difference.

4 long gestation time before symptom presentation, and symptom presentation that starts like common nuisance illnesses. This is the killer. This factor is pretty much the whole Plague Inc strategy. Spread before detection, be hard to confirm, be hard to safely study to prevent cure.

Virus is a fun model to play, but I prefer carnivorous fungus. Spores are amazingly durable vectors.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
It's worth mentioning again anyway, as it is a fuckup of epic proportions. Sure, the US wasn't going to keep the virus out forever, not with that level of an incubation period. At the same time, that doesn't mean you should wander around tents filled with sick people for days with no protective gear on, then spend Friday night in a restuarant before you fly out on a standard passenger airline on the weekend.

It's worth mentioning that China did everything RIGHT.

Every single thing that could be realistically done was done.  We are doing everything exactly backwards because we need a crisis.

Molon Lube

Cain

Yeah. China basically sacrificed Wuhan (and everyone and everything financially productive in it) to try and keep this contained. The measures may have been extreme, but they did act with IMO the best of intentions.

Though a lot of Chinese commentators did say the response time was flawed and the initial reporting was bad. Well, they didn't actually say it, but they talked a LOT about the Chernobyl TV series in a very guarded way.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 28, 2020, 05:21:16 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
It's worth mentioning again anyway, as it is a fuckup of epic proportions. Sure, the US wasn't going to keep the virus out forever, not with that level of an incubation period. At the same time, that doesn't mean you should wander around tents filled with sick people for days with no protective gear on, then spend Friday night in a restuarant before you fly out on a standard passenger airline on the weekend.

It's worth mentioning that China did everything RIGHT.

Every single thing that could be realistically done was done.  We are doing everything exactly backwards because we need a crisis.

Yeah. There's a lot of money and power to be had from a medical crisis. Imagine Trump circumventing election entirety on pretext of national emergency he CREATED. That is what worries me about this particular corona virus. It will kill, sure, but it could also serve a much more dangerous pretext to a power play vastly more dangerous.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 05:44:10 PM
Yeah. China basically sacrificed Wuhan (and everyone and everything financially productive in it) to try and keep this contained. The measures may have been extreme, but they did act with IMO the best of intentions.

Though a lot of Chinese commentators did say the response time was flawed and the initial reporting was bad. Well, they didn't actually say it, but they talked a LOT about the Chernobyl TV series in a very guarded way.

Yeah. Authoritarian power structure does have certain advantages. One is unilateral containment done swiftly, usually abused against dissenting thought, but useful in suppressing malicious biological data too.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

The thing is though, doing that suggests that Trump fucked up the response. So I don't see it happening. Instead there will be official denial, a coverup and the minimal amount of effort with a PR campaign to make it look like everything is being done that could be.

What really worries me is if quarantine comes into effect in populated areas, especially in conjunction with food shortages due to a combination of panic buying and disruption to global supply chains caused by the virus elsewhere.

Remember all those crazy "FEMA death camp" conspiracy theories too? I haven't checked in with the usual suspects, but I bet the militias are suggesting that the virus is an NWO bioweapon so they will be put under military control and have their guns taken away (because that's always the endgame). I can see these morons purposefully breaking quarantine restrictions at a minimum.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 05:44:10 PM

In a model that didn't involve human beings, I can think of plenty of better ways to do what they were doing.

In a model in which you have to holler at humans to put a mask on in public in the middle of a raging epidemic, I think they did just fine.  They bought us 6 weeks that we of course wasted.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 05:51:31 PM
The thing is though, doing that suggests that Trump fucked up the response. So I don't see it happening. Instead there will be official denial, a coverup and the minimal amount of effort with a PR campaign to make it look like everything is being done that could be.

What really worries me is if quarantine comes into effect in populated areas, especially in conjunction with food shortages due to a combination of panic buying and disruption to global supply chains caused by the virus elsewhere.

Remember all those crazy "FEMA death camp" conspiracy theories too? I haven't checked in with the usual suspects, but I bet the militias are suggesting that the virus is an NWO bioweapon so they will be put under military control and have their guns taken away (because that's always the endgame). I can see these morons purposefully breaking quarantine restrictions at a minimum.
Yeah. It's gonna get fucked up in the US particularly. I intend to be prepared as well as I can given all the important shit currently on my plate.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 05:51:31 PM

Dude, 80% of Facebook on both sides of the aisle are hollering that this is a bioweapon.  It's like the chemtrails thing, it assumes that somehow the elite are immune.  It makes me crazy.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

How I feel when I hear the bioweapon theory, which coincidentally my brother just expressed as I write this I corrected him and he listened to me, but just by way of example of the extent of that misconception I think it's worth mentioning.

He doesn't even know that it's a class of virus. He basically thought corona virus was a proper noun for a unique bioweapon.

We're FUCKED.
:um:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

I've been banned from a lot of conspiracy groups and I haven't felt like logging in on one of my alts. I knew Russian botnets were spreading the theory, but I didn't know how much traction it had.

I'd also like to think if someone invented a virus to devastate the global population as part of a sinister plot, that they could do better than "slightly more virulent flu".

chaotic neutral observer

Well, there was a report of someone in Japan who tested positive twice.  I suspect that she either wasn't cured completely, or someone messed up the labwork, but an intermittently lethal virus that humans can't develop a long-term immunity to would be a pretty neat doomsday weapon.

If it doesn't get you the first time, just wait for the next go-around!
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Juana

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 28, 2020, 01:50:32 PM
There are now tertiary symptomatic victims in California.
Like I said, there's been a lot more cases here than have been reported, dating back some weeks. A friend of a friend works for a state agency and had been to meetings about it, and that's what she's been saying.

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 28, 2020, 07:54:40 PM
Well, there was a report of someone in Japan who tested positive twice.  I suspect that she either wasn't cured completely, or someone messed up the labwork, but an intermittently lethal virus that humans can't develop a long-term immunity to would be a pretty neat doomsday weapon.

If she got better the first time, it would have to mutate like the flu and she'd've had to catch it again. You don't get better without developing antibodies. I'd suspect a lab fuck up.

Quote from: Cain on February 28, 2020, 07:31:48 PM
I'd also like to think if someone invented a virus to devastate the global population as part of a sinister plot, that they could do better than "slightly more virulent flu".
:lulz: definitely.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 28, 2020, 07:54:40 PM

I was just reading about this.  Coronavirus immunity doesn't last very long.

But it's not THAT short.  The test was bad?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube