News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Portland's Mayor condemned it, but there hasn't been any action by the Portland PD to actually stop it.

Bu🤠ns

Coming from chicago area, i can't not think of Holman Square

derp

altered

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Pergamos on July 18, 2020, 02:05:34 AM
Portland's Mayor condemned it, but there hasn't been any action by the Portland PD to actually stop it.
The pattern of behavior of the PD and the feds indicate that the mayor is tacitly ok with this.
Never mind that the portland pd arent the good guys anyways.

Cain

Portland tactics are going nationwide

NPR:

QuoteWell, we are – we welcome – the more investigations, the better. With as much lawbreaking is going on, we're seeking to prosecute as many people as are breaking the law as it relates to federal jurisdiction. That's not always happening with respect to local jurisdiction and local offenses. But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we're responsible for around the country.

And The Nation's Ken Klippenstein (who I'm really warming to as a journalist lately) has obtained internal documents that also confirm this will be rolled out in cities across the US.

altered

Unsurprised. Things are getting set up for a proper fascist dictatorship now, because he has limited time before the election and doesn't dare leave things to chance.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Quote from: Cain on July 17, 2020, 06:07:53 PM
That's what it sounds like to me as well, catch and release: Stasi edition. Pick people up, refuse to say anything, drive them around for a while, give them a beating and then throw them out of the van.

It's a bit worse than that.

https://twitter.com/betacuck4lyfe/status/1284227089726451712?s=21

Note: "pressured to waive their rights".

This goes beyond a simple drive around and beat down — which would be bad still. There's something more here, but I'm not making the connection. Obviously the fear is a part of it, but the rights part? That's creepy in a way that suggests a larger picture.

Cain

That is indeed worse. That would open them to being detained in the future without a lawyer or right to silence, if I'm not mistaken? I know in theory you can revoke waiving your Miranda rights at a later point, but in practice, under this administration, with the amount of friendly judges it has packed into the courts? I don't see it flying.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on July 18, 2020, 02:05:34 AM

Oregon's Sec State is suing the federal government over it.

What they're really going to have to do is bring the NG in to protect the citizens from the federal government.
Molon Lube

altered

Wouldn't that constitute Civil War 2? Or at least reason for the feds to start that in earnest?

My train of thought is based on Trump's reaction to hearing that the NatGuard is involved AGAINST his Schutzstaffel, which is guaranteed to be along the lines of "BOMB THE FUCK OUT OF THEM I HATE THEM THEY'RE EMBARRASSING ME."

Which would indeed constitute a second Civil War, in my mind.

Cain

In theory, the National Guard could be put under Federal command by Trump. He wouldn't be able to use them for law enforcement, but he could keep them sequestered and unable to act in the case of a conflict. It'd be similar to what Eisenhower did in Arkansas. There, the governor mobilised the National Guard to prevent desegregation of schools, so Eisenhower effectively took command of them and prevented them from being used.

Trump's advisers likely know this, because they were looking at using the National Guard to aid in deportations back in 2017.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on July 21, 2020, 03:49:09 PM
Wouldn't that constitute Civil War 2? Or at least reason for the feds to start that in earnest?

My train of thought is based on Trump's reaction to hearing that the NatGuard is involved AGAINST his Schutzstaffel, which is guaranteed to be along the lines of "BOMB THE FUCK OUT OF THEM I HATE THEM THEY'RE EMBARRASSING ME."

Which would indeed constitute a second Civil War, in my mind.

I'm okay with that.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 21, 2020, 04:51:47 PM
In theory, the National Guard could be put under Federal command by Trump. He wouldn't be able to use them for law enforcement, but he could keep them sequestered and unable to act in the case of a conflict. It'd be similar to what Eisenhower did in Arkansas. There, the governor mobilised the National Guard to prevent desegregation of schools, so Eisenhower effectively took command of them and prevented them from being used.

Trump's advisers likely know this, because they were looking at using the National Guard to aid in deportations back in 2017.

Assuming they choose to listen to the federalization order.
Molon Lube

Cain

True. Not doing so would definitely make something approaching a civil war seem more likely, though.

Cain

Meanwhile, concerning the assassin of Judge Salas' family...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/07/judge-esther-salas-shooting-suspect-left-pro-trump-paper-trail/614425/

QuoteRoy Den Hollander, the self-described "anti-feminist" attorney who authorities say is the chief suspect in the shootings of the son and the husband of a federal judge in New Jersey, attacked that judge by name in misogynistic, racist writings he wrote over a period of years and posted in bulk on the Internet Archive. Den Hollander, who describes himself as a Trump volunteer in his writings, called the judge an "affirmative action" case who affiliated with those who wanted "to convince America that whites, especially white males, were barbarians, and all those of a darker skin complexion were victims."

QuoteIn contrast, he writes in the same sprawling document that he was a volunteer for the presidential campaign of Donald Trump, who he said "was telling the truth about illegal aliens in his bid for the Presidency." Den Hollander describes "leaving the law library in the early afternoon for Trump Tower, 12 blocks up Fifth Avenue, to make telephone calls during the primaries and the general election." Recounting his time working for the campaign, he says most of his fellow volunteers "were aging baby boomers like me. Once in a while some hot young model chick would show up to make calls. They never sat next to me." The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a question about the nature of Den Hollander's volunteer work, or whether they had any record of his involvement.

Den Hollander, who was 72, held deeply misogynistic beliefs about women and filed a series of lawsuits against what he considered unfair advantages they had over men. One of those suits, in which he argued that it was unconstitutional for women not to be subject to military draft, reached Salas's court in 2019. Salas did not throw out the suit, as many of Den Hollander's previous cases had been. She instead allowed the lawsuit to proceed through the court system. But Den Hollander was upset by what he considered to be Salas's delaying of the case. He complained that she allowed the Department of Justice to file its fourth motion to dismiss the case, suggesting she was "trying to keep this case in her court until a weatherman showed her which way the legal winds were blowing."