News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

General Trump hilarity free-for-all thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 22, 2016, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Forty bucks goes quickly these days!
But you can definitely make a case for taking something from it.
The simple folk in the red team have been getting ready to throw down for a long time.
They see what's going on as a literal attack on their lives.  They're scared shitless.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 13, 2020, 09:01:12 PM
The simple folk in the red team have been getting ready to throw down for a long time.

That is because they still believe the Rambo mythos, and they believe that their tacticool bullshit would be effective.  Or that their rifles would be.

They are 30 years behind the curve.

They see what's going on as a literal attack on their lives.  They're scared shitless.

Life is sometimes difficult and they should consider wearing a hat.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Yeah.  Red dawn vibes run strong in many.  But I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that a not insignificant number have more of a guerilla war outlook that actually can be effective against overwhelming conventional forces.

They're not all just harmless yokels, and I think it's a mistake to think so.  They're dangerous, even if they only have puny assault weapons.

Bruno

Now that I think about it, It more than likely has something to do with the start of deer season. I haven't heard anything in the last couple of days.

I'm more worried about all the various neo-fascist groups headed to DC where there are tens of thousands of people out on the streets celebrating Trump's defeat.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2020/11/12/far-right-extremists-heading-washington-amid-talk-trump-coup
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 13, 2020, 09:55:22 PM
Yeah.  Red dawn vibes run strong in many.  But I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that a not insignificant number have more of a guerilla war outlook that actually can be effective against overwhelming conventional forces.

They're not all just harmless yokels, and I think it's a mistake to think so.  They're dangerous, even if they only have puny assault weapons.

I'm in a position to know that any number of clever bastards with rifles would be cat meat inside of a week.

Tech has really changed in the last 3 years.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 14, 2020, 04:47:37 AM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 13, 2020, 09:55:22 PM

I'm in a position to know that any number of clever bastards with rifles would be cat meat inside of a week.

Tech has really changed in the last 3 years.

Hell, it was like that back when I was in high school, back then I was all like, fite the powa, blah blah, and one of my better teachers, this old black man, pulled me aside and was like "Boy, I was once in the military, you know what would happen to you if you even got anywhere with that shit? It'd be ugly, they have mortars, missiles. They will sooner destroy your whole town..."

EDIT: You're right though. Nowdays there's even fewer places to hide, drone strikes etc. You just can't compete with that sort of resource machine with your puny rifle unless you're willing to commit for the long haul, and there are no gaurentees you won't be dead as dirt before the real shit goes down.

Cain

Besides the tech, there's also three other things people forget:

1) the advantages most foreign insurgent groups have against the US, of coming from a different language and culture (which makes infiltration for the purposes of gathering intelligence much harder) and knowing the territory much better than the invading forces will not apply.

2) the US isn't heavily invested in what happens in foreign countries with contrast to the USA. They will expend far more resources and act far more harshly to quell violence in the interior, because it's infinitely more dangerous.

3) the US won't be seeking to negotiate a settlement with rebels. Rebels are, by their nature, de jure illegitimate forces attempting to overthrow the authorities. Sure, they say the same about terrorists, but they're willing to negotiate there and we all know it. Rebels will hang. That means they'll be tending towards total war, the elimination of enemy forces and breaking their ability to fight at all, to serve as an example to their sympathizers.

You can't really look to performance in Iraq, Afghanistan etc to predict outcomes here because of these factors.

Bruno

There's no way a rebel uprising would succeed in overthrowing the government unless they had a significant number of defectors from within the military and civilian police forces, way more than three percent.

If three percent of the adult population, about ten million people, suddenly went all domestic terrorist on us, it would be one hell of a mess, though. Even just a hundred thousand of them would be pretty inconvenient.

I think a war of passive aggression is more likely; people letting the Freon out of the local Democrat HQ HVAC, a little light arson here and there, etc... One of those armed protests getting out of hand doesn't seem that unlikely.

Actual armed takeover of the United states by a band of Boogaloo Bubbas is pure fantasy.
Formerly something else...

Fujikoma

The scary thing is a lot of police unions endorsed Trump, and an unknown, non-zero number in the military believe in him. Might not get enough to claim victory but could potentially get enough to cause some real havok. Hopefully it's just the passive-aggressive shit you spoke of.

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Beau of the Fifth Column has besn a fave of mine for a while. He's a nearly seraphic straight shooter and fine analyst. This is more on the subject of WHY a military coup is unlikley in the extreme. Kinda put my mind at ease a bit. Not a lot. Just enough to take the edge off slightly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2iRT6BU34
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Pergamos

Quote from: Bruno on November 11, 2020, 05:03:02 PM
I've been hoping for a while that one of his generals would just snap his neck. I mean, I didn't have much hope that would happen, but it's a nice thought.

That would be a coup.  Not the worst possible thing, but still not great.

The Johnny

Quote from: Pergamos on November 15, 2020, 01:02:57 AM
Quote from: Bruno on November 11, 2020, 05:03:02 PM
I've been hoping for a while that one of his generals would just snap his neck. I mean, I didn't have much hope that would happen, but it's a nice thought.

That would be a coup.  Not the worst possible thing, but still not great.

But is it really stealing if you're stealing from a thief, as the saying goes.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 14, 2020, 11:40:29 PM
Beau of the Fifth Column has besn a fave of mine for a while. He's a nearly seraphic straight shooter and fine analyst. This is more on the subject of WHY a military coup is unlikley in the extreme. Kinda put my mind at ease a bit. Not a lot. Just enough to take the edge off slightly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2iRT6BU34

Thats really nice, because the last thing i want to do right now is starting to learn chinese to welcome our new alien overlords, from the resulting power vacuum.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Fujikoma

Thanks for that Joseph, it set my mind at ease some. Dude seems pretty cool.