News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Raising the next generation: PD style

Started by Junkenstein, December 03, 2016, 07:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on December 06, 2016, 11:49:17 PM
There's a book out there, "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons" or some such.

My mom used it and I had a reading level that rocketed past my grade level, and my mom subsequently used it to teach a half-dozen struggling neighborhood kids to read. So I can vouch for that.

Your mom sounds like an amazing person. I sometimes think that if i could pick any charitable act to dedicate my resources to it would be a pro-literacy foundation explicitly focused on helping those that got robbed of strong reading skills by unfortunate circumstances.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Trivial

Just when you think your kids has grown out of it, your child will lick a non food item when it will be the most awkward. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on December 07, 2016, 12:05:09 AM
There's a book out there, "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons" or some such.

My mom used it and I had a reading level that rocketed past my grade level, and my mom subsequently used it to teach a half-dozen struggling neighborhood kids to read. So I can vouch for that.

Your mom sounds like an amazing person. I sometimes think that if i could pick any charitable act to dedicate my resources to it would be a pro-literacy foundation explicitly focused on helping those that got robbed of strong reading skills by unfortunate circumstances.

If you take the time to teach just ONE person to read the fucking directions

you will have made the world a better place.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 07, 2016, 05:48:21 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on December 07, 2016, 12:05:09 AM

If you take the time to teach just ONE person to read the fucking directions

you will have made the world a better place.

I did. My youngest brother suffered severe dyslexia and I helped him where his teachers couldn't by encouraging him and helping him at home for many years.

I want to franchise in a way.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Ziegejunge

My wife and I are mature enough to realize we're too immature at this point in our lives to do a good job raising kids. We do okay with our two dogs and a cat, and someday maybe we'll change our minds, but that day seems a ways off.

My own parents, who were both teachers at the Junior High level, used homemade action-oriented flash cards to help me learn how to read with great success.

I remember things like "Turn on the light," "Pet the cat," and my favorite: "Hit my arm."

I'm one of the most non-violent people I know, but something about realizing that knowledge could lead to punching authority figures captured my attention like nothing else at the wee age of three-ish. And somehow it didn't lead to hitting outside of the flashcard reading time.

I think in a way it reinforced the idea that violence between two parties is okay if there's some kind of mutually-agreed-upon contract involved, that words and communication have the power to subvert the norm and allow for deviant behaviors so long as certain guidelines are followed.

I lost Dad about a year and a half ago, and thinking of things like this remind me of what a great dad he was despite his foibles.

As a adult, some of the best parenting I've seen has been courtesy of Discordian parents. As was stated prior, talking to kids like adult human beings goes a long way. If one talks to children as though they are infants, then one ought not be surprised when those children exhibit infantile behaviors.

Xicked

Get down on the floor and play with your kids.

The Book With No Pictures by BJ Novak is a lot of fun for kids.
Books by Julia Donaldson are great, too.  They're written with a rhythm and vocabulary that is really enjoyable to read.  The Gruffalo and Snail & The Whale are two favourites here.