News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Space dogs

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 25, 2016, 09:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Don't eat brains or you'll catch the prions.

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on December 03, 2016, 02:18:42 AM

A good rule for the colony ships.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 03, 2016, 05:39:22 AM

Probably up there with having sex with aliens, they might mate like anglerfish. 

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on December 03, 2016, 03:30:59 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 03, 2016, 05:39:22 AM

Probably up there with having sex with aliens, they might mate like anglerfish.

Still worth it.

Trivial

I'd guess that any habitable planet will have life.  Our atmosphere will react with about anything including itself, it needs life to maintain the levels of oxygen.  Any landing we make will may alter any sort of evolutionary course.  Just wondering if we'd even care about future possible lifeforms.  Maybe it'd depend on how awesome we make space stations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on December 05, 2016, 03:43:29 PM
I'd guess that any habitable planet will have life.  Our atmosphere will react with about anything including itself, it needs life to maintain the levels of oxygen.  Any landing we make will may alter any sort of evolutionary course.  Just wondering if we'd even care about future possible lifeforms.  Maybe it'd depend on how awesome we make space stations.

Yes, due to the nature of planetary oxygen production, if it's habitable it will have life.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

How do you define "habitable"? Because the presence of oxygen and earth-like temperatures doesn't necessarily guarantee the existence of any of the other building blocks of life (even though bacteria did play an enormous part in providing out own atmosphere with free elemental oxygen)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on December 02, 2016, 09:25:15 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

So some people have genes that make these damn things.

Everyone does, pr else they wpuldn't work. What some people don't have is a means of folding the protein into other configurations
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Trivial

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 09, 2016, 05:56:00 PM

How do you define "habitable"? Because the presence of oxygen and earth-like temperatures doesn't necessarily guarantee the existence of any of the other building blocks of life (even though bacteria did play an enormous part in providing out own atmosphere with free elemental oxygen)

Trying to think of scenarios where oxygen would stick around.  Oxygen and noble gas combo? 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You're really gonna need life of some sort to get physiologically relevant quantities of atmospheric oxygen.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, there is also the hypothetical possibility of high-surface-titanium planets, but the likelihood of a high-surface-titanium planet being otherwise inhabitable seems low.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 02, 2016, 08:55:23 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on December 02, 2016, 08:24:11 PM
Okay so now I'm freaked the fuck out about this prions shit. I think we may owe it to the world to spread mass-panic

Already happened; remember Mad Cow Disease?

Literally why I tell people cannibalism is bad.

minuspace

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on December 09, 2016, 06:22:48 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 09, 2016, 05:56:00 PM

Trying to think of scenarios where oxygen would stick around.  Oxygen and noble gas combo?
If a noble gas /had/ to share electrons with something, it would probably choose oxygen.  Otherwise, I think O2 is a decent scenario, or we could lock it in carbon and send in oxygen releasing "plants" prior to arrival.  Worst case scenario, we get it from water by electrolysis.  Oxygen rules.