News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Unlimited Brazilian Hilarity Thread

Started by Sano, November 26, 2016, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 27, 2016, 07:26:05 PM
A TRUMP FOR YOU, AND FOR YOU, AND FOR YOU! A TRUMP FOR EVERYONE!

:horrormirth:

I just had flashes of Le pen, farage and that dutch guy I can never remember the name of. Vandegoebbels or something.

It's horribly true. And to think that this is the most advanced we've ever been is mildly depressing.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Sano

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 27, 2016, 10:15:23 PM

I just had flashes of Le pen, farage and that dutch guy I can never remember the name of. Vandegoebbels or something.

It's horribly true. And to think that this is the most advanced we've ever been is mildly depressing.

Geert Wilders? Also, don't forget Viktor Orban in Hungary.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Sano on November 27, 2016, 10:25:20 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on November 27, 2016, 10:15:23 PM

Geert Wilders? Also, don't forget Viktor Orban in Hungary.

Many thanks.

Let's move this up to "moderately depressing" then. I've just remembered about Greece and Germany.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sano on November 27, 2016, 10:00:04 PM
Quote from: Genghis Khan on November 27, 2016, 07:48:37 PM
Only the christard monkeys support bolsomeme,

The same was once true of Trump.

Quote from: Genghis Khan on November 27, 2016, 07:48:37 PMBrazil will probably turn into another Venezuela, all that was worth because now the poor can fly on planes.

Oh my god come on. If you really think Lula/Dilma are in any way comparable to Chavez I have nothing to say to you, except that I had hoped I wouldn't find this here.

He's just a troll, ignore him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Genghis Khan on November 27, 2016, 07:48:37 PMBrazil will probably turn into another Venezuela, all that was worth because now the poor can fly on planes.

Oh my god come on. If you really think Lula/Dilma are in any way comparable to Chavez I have nothing to say to you, except that I had hoped I wouldn't find this here.

Just look at his registration date.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

This is kind of funny actually, this shill may well have been led here by this thread and google. It's not like PD has been actively discussing Brazil's politics before (at least not in this depth).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on November 28, 2016, 12:16:38 PM

This is kind of funny actually, this shill may well have been led here by this thread and google. It's not like PD has been actively discussing Brazil's politics before (at least not in this depth).

Tezumin here fast tryna troll.

I'm a bad person.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Sano

Wow. Just heard of the Chapecoense tragedy - a plane crashed with the whole soccer team in it. Apparently 75 people are already confirmed dead.

Also, 66 year old journalist Caco Barcellos was assaulted while covering a protest in Rio's center. Not by the police, by the protestors (he works for Tv Globo, which has a bad rep and a bad history, they supported the dictatorship for example). People threw a traffic cone at him. It happened on the 16th but I'm only hearing of it now.

2016 just keeps on giving.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Junkenstein

Well, shit. That's going to be messy. I'm guessing you've had your share of celebrity deaths down there too, anyone notable that wouldn't have been given much attention north of the equator?

Sano

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 29, 2016, 03:18:37 PM
Well, shit. That's going to be messy. I'm guessing you've had your share of celebrity deaths down there too, anyone notable that wouldn't have been given much attention north of the equator?

Can't think of anyone actually. I do recall hearing something about a famous 90 year old singer, but perhaps the news was just that she was still alive :lulz:

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, that plane crash is a serious punch in the balls. Those guys were a hell of a cinderella story. Word is the national federation is gonna bend some rules and give them 3 years protection from relegation and some favorable exemptions to some of the transfer rules. Heard that several top-tier European clubs are willing to hook them up with some pretty sweet loans and transfer deals as well. Sounds like there's a real groundswell of support in the soccer community. Were the coaches and/or front office personnel on the plane as well or was it mostly just players?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Wizard Joseph

Hey Sano how much of the Brazilian strand of Discordia is active? I guess I'd like to know if you think it's thriving and whatever other perspective you may have, as you can.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cramulus

And I hear they are dropping the "car wash" corruption investigations now??

Brazil seems so bleak, man. The whole world is swinging right in a crazy, dangerous way.

At least there are motions that the Supreme Court is going to legalize abortion.

Sano

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 30, 2016, 06:06:00 PM
Yeah, that plane crash is a serious punch in the balls. Those guys were a hell of a cinderella story. Word is the national federation is gonna bend some rules and give them 3 years protection from relegation and some favorable exemptions to some of the transfer rules. Heard that several top-tier European clubs are willing to hook them up with some pretty sweet loans and transfer deals as well. Sounds like there's a real groundswell of support in the soccer community. Were the coaches and/or front office personnel on the plane as well or was it mostly just players?

Yeah, they were rising amazingly fast as a soccer team; they also had a fame for playing fair and for having an administration without corruption (a miracle in the field, at least here). It seems at least some of the coaches and personnel died, and some reporters as well (one even played in the national team when he was younger IIRC).

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 30, 2016, 06:34:53 PM
Hey Sano how much of the Brazilian strand of Discordia is active? I guess I'd like to know if you think it's thriving and whatever other perspective you may have, as you can.

I actually really don't have much of a clue. I think it's mostly dead, tbh. The last time I heard something about it here was probably 5~6 years ago, maybe more. In any case I think brazilians kinda always had a certain discordian sense of humor, so to speak (for example we all collectively started trolling and rooting for germany halfway through the 7-1 in 2014).

Quote from: Cramulus on November 30, 2016, 06:57:35 PM
And I hear they are dropping the "car wash" corruption investigations now??

Brazil seems so bleak, man. The whole world is swinging right in a crazy, dangerous way.

At least there are motions that the Supreme Court is going to legalize abortion.

There have certainly been talks of pressuring the judiciary to drop it even before Dilma's impeachment, but the situation is so unstable there's a lot of fear of the public outrage. The most they'll try to do is to protect some big names and parties, but even in this I think they're failing. People have always noted how investigations seemed to be shielding the PSDB (very very roughly Brazil's moderate republicans in US terms) from harm, but this has been changing lately.

All in all I'm not too afraid, though. Perhaps this is just a difference of perspective - we are very much used to political crisis, bizarre politicians and the like - not to mention the historical perspective: even with today's hardships the country is better than it was 20 years ago, not to mention 50. In a sense I think we're inoculated against the worst excesses of politics simply because of our experience in dealing with the country's own contraditions, although I'll admit things have taken a downward turn lately (specially through political polarization). The risks of (say) a Bolsonaro presidency are real but shouldn't be overstated, as things stand now I'd say he has at most 10 percent of the vote - the main candidate would have to have really Clinton-like levels of public hatred directed to them for him to be a serious contender. The only one I think would have it is Dilma herself, but she won't be running, and maybe even not her (in my completely unsupported opinion the next president will be either Ciro Gomes or Marina Silva, both with lots of problems but leagues ahead of Bolsonaro, Trump and the like). Plus we'll have 2 years of Trump to watch and warn us.

Now, put a Bolsonaro as a candidate in Europe and you have the potential for a lot of damage. Once he tried inciting xenophobia towards haitians, this didn't work even with his own base. But in France or Italy (or Greece or Poland or...)? That's what I'm worried about.

Sano

Tl;dr: Brazil's been in the Weird Times since the 1500s, y'all are just catching up.

EDIT: I could probably make a rant about how brazilians will be the world's heralds for the Strange Times. Don't believe me? One of the latest news is that drug dealers dyed pink the cocaine they sold for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.