News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

And now another thing to worry about as the climate changes.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 26, 2016, 09:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/seafloorscience/slopes/slopes_slides.html

As the ocean level and temperature changes, we can probably expect a return of these bastards.

Tsunamis in weird places aside, I'm just thinking of what will happen to offshore drilling rigs.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Ahhh yes, good old methane clathrates. A positive feedback greenhouse effect PLUS massive underwater landslides.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 26, 2016, 09:48:46 PM

As the ocean level and temperature changes, we can probably expect a return of these bastards.

Tsunamis in weird places aside, I'm just thinking of what will happen to offshore drilling rigs.

Well, they do a pretty good job at knackering themselves on their own, so it won't take much to completely fuck a few. There's also a going to be huge numbers of them coming up for decommissioning over the next 5-20 years which raises the chances of fucking one in transit up massively. It gets more interesting when you look at the north sea in particular as no-one even knows which dry docks are likely to be viable or even permissible. This has lead to a few people looking at african docks as a plan C that may have to be plan A if governments aren't able to get their shit together.

At this rate, it's probably not wise to bet against R'lyeh rising mid 2017.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 26, 2016, 11:03:23 PM

Well, they do a pretty good job at knackering themselves on their own, so it won't take much to completely fuck a few. There's also a going to be huge numbers of them coming up for decommissioning over the next 5-20 years which raises the chances of fucking one in transit up massively. It gets more interesting when you look at the north sea in particular as no-one even knows which dry docks are likely to be viable or even permissible. This has lead to a few people looking at african docks as a plan C that may have to be plan A if governments aren't able to get their shit together.

Suddenly "I made millions in African real estate, and I can make you millions if you invest now!!" doesn't invoke the impression of a scam.
:eek:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Operating ones are the ones that give me the willies.  Especially if they're close to shore and the Tsunami from one direction causes a mudslide (and thus another Tsunami) in the other direction. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 27, 2016, 01:38:09 AM

Operating ones are the ones that give me the willies.  Especially if they're close to shore and the Tsunami from one direction causes a mudslide (and thus another Tsunami) in the other direction.

"Tsunami lung" developed among a huge number of victims of the 2011 incident that caused Fukushima. That and literally dealing with FLAMING LETHALLY TOXIC WATER that flows EVERYWHERE.

That was just regular water coming ashore.  :eek:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Worth noting there's been a 7.3 near fukishima recently, tsunami warnings abound.

The other thing that will suffer as much as the rigs will be cargo shipping. At least one firm was recently on it's arse with ships literally stranded at sea. A serious loss or two will be more than enough to put some firms out of business.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Indeed, it would be very bad if there was another deepwater horizon  type incident or crewmen on a manned rig got killed.

(In cases where only the rig itself is damaged however I think it would be a clear case of "they sowed the wind and now are going to reap the whirlwind" on the part of the oil companies)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 28, 2016, 01:24:41 AM

Indeed, it would be very bad if there was another deepwater horizon  type incident or crewmen on a manned rig got killed.

(In cases where only the rig itself is damaged however I think it would be a clear case of "they sowed the wind and now are going to reap the whirlwind" on the part of the oil companies)

I was thinking a scenario in which the rig (or rigs), wellhead, and everything else got shorn off at or below the ocean floor.  The survival chances of the crew are about potato, and the damage done by the rigs are each far worse than the DWH.  Especially in the case of a "chain reaction" wave.