News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Collective Narcissism

Started by MMIX, December 15, 2016, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

This just ran across my screen, and I think it might offer some interesting insights into our current predicaments.

QuoteThe new findings suggest that any politician who ferments in their followers a grandiose belief in the in-group, combined with encouraging them to believe the in-group is being insulted or slighted by others, is arguably fostering collective narcissism and sowing the seeds for future conflict and hostility. One positive way to intervene might be to see if collective narcissists can be encouraged to channel their envy and sensitivity toward constructively helping their in-group rather than harming out-groups. 
https://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/12/09/theres-such-a-thing-as-collective-narcissism-and-it-might-explain-a-lot-thats-going-on-at-the-moment/#more-15011
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Wizard Joseph

Cult Building 101: Politics Applications
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

nobodyhome

It sounds like a bunch of Hollywood actors or privileged rich university students.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xerosaburu on February 01, 2017, 03:24:00 AM
It sounds like a bunch of Hollywood actors or privileged rich university students.

Wow, are you able to type anything that doesn't betray a profound level of ignorance and complete lack of critical thinking skills?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."