News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Home roasted coffee

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 17, 2009, 07:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

So Mr Squid bought some green coffee beans and was researching how to properly roast them. There were all different methods from rotisserie things that go on your grill to air popcorn poppers. He found a simple method that seemed to work for people that we had handy.
LOL a cast iron skillet and a whisk.

So we set the heat to about med-hi and slowly whisked them till they were a medium roast and went from:

to:

in about 10 minutes.
They say your coffee begins to go stale after you roast it and then even faster after you grind it. I like the rustic "home made" look it has.
It smells awful while they're roasting so you have to have your exhaust fan on, but once they're done and you cool them and put them in a plastic bad for a minute the smell is unbelievable.
It's the freshest nicest coffee smell ever.
I haven't ground any and made a cup yet since it's 2:40 in the am. Unless Mr Squid is doing that right now, but I kind of doubt it (I hope not).
but I'll report the flavor after I make a pot.

Bu🤠ns

:mittens:

I've been meaning to do this for a long time now.

Sir Squid Diddimus

WOW. That's a good cup of coffee.
I didn't put any cream in it cause I want to see how it stands up by itself, and it's good with and without sugar. It isn't real bitter and it has a low acidity.

You can definitely tell a difference. Next time I may try a darker roast to see if I get get it a little more bold (cause I like my coffee that way) but I'll be damned if this isn't some really good coffee.

The Good Reverend Roger

Sounds great, but too inefficient for the volume of coffee I need every day.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

roast a big batch the night before then grind it up in the morning and keep it flowing

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have some green beans that I forgot about. In fact, I ran out and bought beans for Space Cowboy yesterday morning. Thanks for reminding me! Next week he gets fresh-roasted beans from mah skillet!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

My father wanted a coffee roaster for a Christmas or birthday gift, but they're all either stupidly expensive or still kind've pricey and unreliable to boot.  Maybe we'll just get him a cast iron skillet and a whisk and tell him "here's your roaster, enjoy."
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Rumckle

Sounds nice.

Reminds me of this:
http://coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting
a guide to roasting in a popcorn popper, which I saw once. Your way seems a lot easier though.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mr Squid was looking for a reasonably priced popcorn popper for this but couldn't find one.

Today he used MY GOOD METAL COLANDER  :argh!: whisk and a heat gun.

the results are amazing. all the beans are evenly roasted and smell better than any bag of coffee i've ever forcefully shoved my face into.

this coffee needs no cream or sugar.
also i expected him to be twitching in a slobbery pile by the time i got home from work today but he was not. since he got a flat tire in the little one's school parking lot and had no spare.
hope they don't tow that car in the middle of the night

and BOY I SURE HOPE NOBODY STEALS IT AND DRIVES IT OFF A BRIDGE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT OR SETS IT ON FIRE OR SOMETHING EQUALLY DESTRUCTIVE
(capslock, the new sarcasm font)

Jenne

Ooh...see, now I'm getting Xmas idears.  I have a buncha picky asses to buy for, and this is a nice low-tech-do-it-yourself gift that keeps on giving.  Green coffee beans and instructions on how to home-roast your homebrew.  Thanks, Squid!

Sir Squid Diddimus

seriously, mesh colander and a heat gun (the ones you peel paint off with) and a whisk.
Just keep it moving.

This shit is the best.

Suchat1947

Quote from: Rumckle on November 18, 2009, 12:51:04 AM
Sounds nice.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.wordsiseek.com/espresso-machines/
a guide to roasting in a popcorn popper, which I saw once. Your way seems a lot easier though.

Yeah you are right i really got the help by reading the resource you have shared.

Piece of information i have received on my email id last day. Don't know what was the reason?

(It sounds incredible, but the least amount of caffeine from all coffees found in espresso. In addition to the "shortened" espresso - ristretto, will be even less caffeine. At the same time, just at ristretto is the most "strong" taste.

It is the Italians drink coffee with milk: cappuccino and latte - morning, afternoon - espresso, and in the evening - ristretto, and did not suffer with insomnia.

On the other hand, the greatest amount of caffeine found in coffee, cooking method of filter (Hario, Kemeks, drip coffee, iced coffee, etc.) or Turkish coffee (coffee-east), and other similar methods. I personally do not recommend drinking a coffee in less than 5 hours of bedtime. Insomnia may well be.

This fact is associated with a very simple feature coffee - the longer the contact of water with coffee powder - the more caffeine gets into the drink. The shortest contact, as you know, have ristoretto - about 20 seconds.)