Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 05, 2017, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:58:41 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:56:25 AM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:53:50 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:52:14 AM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:48:41 AM
I suspect that since what appears to be the demographic of those who virtue signal the most, namely those who come from affluent, sheltered backgrounds, this capitalistic enterprise of competition for "virtue" at the least cost in terms of actual action is rational.

I heard someone else refer to it as "oppression poker".

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

That was a bunch of ass.

What's that supposed to mean?

First I had to wait longer for anything to happen than I did in Manos, The Hands of Fate.

Then it was a bad cartoon, like something you'd find on "The Comical Conservative."  Then I closed the tab.

So you have a bad internet connection, you have an attention span of a flea and like so many these days, you lack an appreciation of spot-on satire.

Good to know.

Oh, you're RP.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

nobodyhome

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:59:49 AM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:58:41 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:56:25 AM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:53:50 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:52:14 AM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:48:41 AM
I suspect that since what appears to be the demographic of those who virtue signal the most, namely those who come from affluent, sheltered backgrounds, this capitalistic enterprise of competition for "virtue" at the least cost in terms of actual action is rational.

I heard someone else refer to it as "oppression poker".

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

That was a bunch of ass.

What's that supposed to mean?

First I had to wait longer for anything to happen than I did in Manos, The Hands of Fate.

Then it was a bad cartoon, like something you'd find on "The Comical Conservative."  Then I closed the tab.

So you have a bad internet connection, you have an attention span of a flea and like so many these days, you lack an appreciation of spot-on satire.

Good to know.

Oh, you're RP.

What's "RP"?

The Good Reverend Roger

Done wasting my time on you.  Good day.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

nobodyhome

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 03:02:09 AM

Like I suspected. You'd rather waste your time bloviating to sycophants, and I failed the sycophant test.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 03:04:54 AM

Like I suspected. You'd rather waste your time bloviating to sycophants, and I failed the sycophant test.

Good way to make a first impression.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on January 13, 2017, 03:13:22 AM

They are my people and I am their king.

nobodyhome

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 03:21:03 AM

Now I applaud that response. Please tell me that was a real sycophant, and not your left hand in another forum sock-puppet.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 03:24:37 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 03:21:03 AM

Now I applaud that response. Please tell me that was a real sycophant, and not your left hand in another forum sock-puppet.

Chump.  I'm the only person here other than you, and I'm not sure about you.  RP.

Vanadium Gryllz

Good to know.

:lulz:

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

minuspace

Semaphores of Spot-on Satire  vs.  Indications of Overwrought Irony .....  Fight!

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Pergamos on January 05, 2017, 09:55:01 PM
The article in the guardian is not using virtue signalling in the same way that Roger uses it in the first post.  Roger is defining it as making statements to identify with a group wheras the guardian uses it as making statements to identify as good or virtuous.  Roger's definition is more specific and more useful.

The Adam smith article does the same thing.

There's a related term which I think applies here, if I get your meaning. Tribal signaling. Undoubtedly, this can occur in the same space as virtue signaling.

Here's Zizek explaining signaling in general and taking it a bit further into signaling with and via commodity and market stuff. <5min

https://vimeo.com/12234297

MithridatesXXIII

Coincidentally, zenosaburu is tribal signaling "Right-wing/Republican/Conservative" when he uses the term sheltered and oppression pejoratively. He is simultaneously virtue signaling by implying his holding doctrinal values of the party: rugged individualism, moxy, grit, etc.

hooplala

The screeching about the word pussy on FB currently unfolding is a good example of this.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 23, 2017, 02:32:44 PM
The screeching about the word pussy on FB currently unfolding is a good example of this.

Yes.  I am told that the march was counterproductive and worse than Pol Pot because the pink hats were a symbol of TERF.

The people doing the bitching are of course stupid and probably won't be available for comment inside of 24 months.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 23, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 23, 2017, 02:32:44 PM

Yes.  I am told that the march was counterproductive and worse than Pol Pot because the pink hats were a symbol of TERF.

The people doing the bitching are of course stupid and probably won't be available for comment inside of 24 months.

I don't really get why some women having vaginas should be so intimidating to women without vaginas, but I suspect this may well be one of those situations where I am about to be schooled, so I am open to learning.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman