News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Virtue Signalling

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 05, 2017, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I was aware this was a thing for a very long time, but I didn't know the term for it until now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

QuoteVirtue signalling is a generally pejorative characterization of the expression or promotion of viewpoints that are especially valued within a social group, especially when it is said to be done primarily to enhance the social standing of the speaker.[1][2][3]

The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue, and especially conspicuous piety among the religious faithful.[4] Since 2015, the term has been most conspicuously used by commentators to criticize what they regard as the platitudinous and empty or superficial support of socially progressive views on social media,[2][3] but has also been used to describe analogous behavior in other groups, such as pro-gun-rights grandstanding among the American right.[3]

More or less what we used to call "the fart blanket".

QuoteThe blog LessWrong was another early user of the term, where the idea was first alluded to in February 2009[5] and later squarely expressed in July 2013:

"My upbringing and social circles are moderately left-wing. There's a well-observed failure mode in these circles, not entirely dissimilar to what's discussed in Why Our Kind Can't Cooperate, where participants sabotage cooperation by going out of their way to find things to disagree about, presumably for moral posturing and virtue-signalling reasons."[6]

Or, as was described here at PD, a method of claiming status in a group at the expense of the group's goals.  Or, hell, during the post-primary phase of the election, with the left fragmenting into subgroups that all hate each other.  And, in a lot of cases, still do.

And look what that got us.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Hmm. I'll have to read up on this this evening.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

We're awesome at this sort of stuff.

For some reason, when its done on the Right, it doesn't self-destruct as much.  I'm not sure why.

Nephew Twiddleton

The right values conformity more than the left does
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 05, 2017, 06:18:34 PM
We're awesome at this sort of stuff.

For some reason, when its done on the Right, it doesn't self-destruct as much.  I'm not sure why.

Because of the Reagan Rule and because conservatives don't blush.  Example:  Mitch McConnell raging that "The Senate will not tolerate a SCOTUS nominee from being appointed."  Hypocrisy is their meat & potatoes, so virtue signalling wouldn't have the same effect.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

It's worth mentioning that I found this at a right wing board, and this is their new answer to anything having to do with social justice.

They're becoming slightly more agile, and that's worth remembering.

(It's still like sticking your face in Goering's latrine.)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Adamsmith.org?

I thought I was the horrible libertarian around here.   :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Pergamos

The article in the guardian is not using virtue signalling in the same way that Roger uses it in the first post.  Roger is defining it as making statements to identify with a group wheras the guardian uses it as making statements to identify as good or virtuous.  Roger's definition is more specific and more useful.

The Adam smith article does the same thing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on January 05, 2017, 09:55:01 PM
The article in the guardian is not using virtue signalling in the same way that Roger uses it in the first post.  Roger is defining it as making statements to identify with a group wheras the guardian uses it as making statements to identify as good or virtuous.  Roger's definition is more specific and more useful.

The Adam smith article does the same thing.

Pretty much spot on.

And I think this is one of the main reasons the left is hopelessly fractured and now utterly useless.  Instead of reacting to a real, present outside threat, everyone has doubled-down on self-policing.  I absolutely disagree with that RP twat that identity politics should be abandoned, but that is different than crowding under the fart blanket and identifying the unworthy, which is all that is still happening in the majority of the social justice crowd.

The fucking Nazis are going to eat our lunch, and everyone is going to have this stunned look on their faces...Because to too many people, none of what is happening in DC is real.  It can't be happening, not here.

You bet your ass it is.  It is already up to steam and starting to roll forward, and we are doomed.  Not because we can't do anything, but because we won't do anything aside from maybe wearing a safety pin and feeling virtuous.  And I'll tell you this for free:  Anyone who stops running from goons to get help from someone wearing one of those safety pins is going to wish they'd kept running.

nobodyhome

I suspect that since what appears to be the demographic of those who virtue signal the most, namely those who come from affluent, sheltered backgrounds, this capitalistic enterprise of competition for "virtue" at the least cost in terms of actual action is rational.

I heard someone else refer to it as "oppression poker".

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:48:41 AM
I suspect that since what appears to be the demographic of those who virtue signal the most, namely those who come from affluent, sheltered backgrounds, this capitalistic enterprise of competition for "virtue" at the least cost in terms of actual action is rational.

Reminds me of this:

That was a bunch of ass.

nobodyhome

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:52:14 AM

Reminds me of this:

That was a bunch of ass.

What's that supposed to mean?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:53:50 AM

Reminds me of this:

That was a bunch of ass.

First I had to wait longer for anything to happen than I did in Manos, The Hands of Fate.

Then it was a bad cartoon, like something you'd find on "The Comical Conservative."  Then I closed the tab.

nobodyhome

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 13, 2017, 02:56:25 AM
Quote from: xerosaburu on January 13, 2017, 02:53:50 AM

Reminds me of this:

That was a bunch of ass.

First I had to wait longer for anything to happen than I did in Manos, The Hands of Fate.

Then it was a bad cartoon, like something you'd find on "The Comical Conservative."  Then I closed the tab.

So you have a bad internet connection, you have an attention span of a flea and like so many these days, you lack an appreciation of spot-on satire.

Good to know.