News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Haunting of Hill House

Started by hooplala, October 26, 2018, 04:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Anyone who has read the book check out the Netflix series yet?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on October 26, 2018, 04:26:12 PM

My youngest kid watches this.  She says it's a 6/10.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 26, 2018, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on October 26, 2018, 04:26:12 PM

My youngest kid watches this.  She says it's a 6/10.

I would personally lean closer to 7.5/10, if judged on its own merit. If considered an actual adaptation of the Haunting of Hill House I would give it a 3/10 maybe.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

altered

I've been considering watching it. What are the biggest issues with it, taken on its own and not as an adaptation?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

hooplala

The second half of the series had a few too many scenes of people standing around and talking. And I took issue with the message I felt the last episode was imparting.

That's all I will say without spoiling anything.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

altered

Sounds like I'll probably enjoy it until the ending, depending on that message. Thanks for the info.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman