News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Welcome to the Dick waving thead
Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM
Quote from: MMIX on December 25, 2016, 11:39:41 PM
Fuck Fuck Fuck
RIP George Michael
OK 2016 we get the message you can just fucking stop now, 'k?

Goddamit.

And the real shit is that all we have to look forward to is 2017. Whoop-de-do  :sad:
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Faust

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 26, 2016, 01:45:12 AM
Random complaint: I have been handy about the house since I was a kid, and have been fixing up old houses since 1998. I used to work for a company that specialized in old house restoration, I used to co-own a company that specialized in vintage hardware, and have done work on at least a dozen old houses. I specialized in vintage plumbing, but I am also fluent with electrical, framing, and basic finish carpentry. I can lay tile, and have taught others to lay tile. I used to, naively, think that the reason people invariably talk to me like I have no idea what I'm doing was because I was young. As I got older I thought they were underestimating my age, and therefore my experience. Now that I'm all old and gray-haired, it's impossible to ignore that it's just my vagina that leads people to talk to me like I am clueless and helpless around home improvement.

I'm so, so fucking sick of it.

In general, I'm sick of being talked to like I'm incompetent just because I'm female.

In general, I'm fucking sick of people underestimating women just because we have tits and vaginas.

My own household is an egalitarian dream, but as soon as I interact with people outside of our little paradise, it's back to being talked to like I'm a retarded version of a man.

I am horrified that this is the world I'm sending my daughters out into; a world where, by virtue of their sex, they will be treated as nincompoops by default.

Fuck all of this bullshit.

That sounds frustrating.... and like you've just volunteered to bounce questions off on building a house which is something I know nothing about barring a couple of weeks of reading, and scares the shit out of me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on December 26, 2016, 05:09:03 AM
Random complaint: I have been handy about the house since I was a kid, and have been fixing up old houses since 1998. I used to work for a company that specialized in old house restoration, I used to co-own a company that specialized in vintage hardware, and have done work on at least a dozen old houses. I specialized in vintage plumbing, but I am also fluent with electrical, framing, and basic finish carpentry. I can lay tile, and have taught others to lay tile. I used to, naively, think that the reason people invariably talk to me like I have no idea what I'm doing was because I was young. As I got older I thought they were underestimating my age, and therefore my experience. Now that I'm all old and gray-haired, it's impossible to ignore that it's just my vagina that leads people to talk to me like I am clueless and helpless around home improvement.

In general, I'm sick of being talked to like I'm incompetent just because I'm female.

In general, I'm fucking sick of people underestimating women just because we have tits and vaginas.

My own household is an egalitarian dream, but as soon as I interact with people outside of our little paradise, it's back to being talked to like I'm a retarded version of a man.

I am horrified that this is the world I'm sending my daughters out into; a world where, by virtue of their sex, they will be treated as nincompoops by default.

have you considered the possibility that people talk to you like you're an idiot, not because of your gender, but rather - most everybody is an idiot? 

not saying that's the case - but, you know - it's possible . . .

I might buy it if men were talked to the same way, but on average they are not. For example, people rarely second-guess men's firsthand experiences, or suggest to them that they are merely so inobservant that they are completely misinterpreting their own experiences and observations.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xaz on December 26, 2016, 09:19:22 AM
Quote from: rong on December 26, 2016, 05:09:03 AM

have you considered the possibility that people talk to you like you're an idiot, not because of your gender, but rather - most everybody is an idiot? 

not saying that's the case - but, you know - it's possible . . .

:kingmeh:

Ever feel like you're having the same conversations over and over?

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on December 26, 2016, 03:36:10 PM

That sounds frustrating.... and like you've just volunteered to bounce questions off on building a house which is something I know nothing about barring a couple of weeks of reading, and scares the shit out of me.

I'm happy to answer any questions I can about anything I have experience with. Home improvement is both tiresome and incredibly gratifying.

Eater of Clowns

I noticed my sink had a mild dripping leak last night, so I decided to do something about it. I'm happy to say after an hour's work it now has a much more severe leak.

So yeah anything you want to ask let me know, Faust.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Salty

I know how to hand Nigel tools, I'm great at it. Every time I help, I get a candy.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Just Alty, Please on December 26, 2016, 05:06:51 PM
I know how to hand Nigel tools, I'm great at it. Every time I help, I get a candy.

You are the best tool-hander ever.

It's why I have to keep you in muffins.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Just Alty, Please on December 26, 2016, 05:06:51 PM

Practical applications for Pavlov ITT.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 26, 2016, 04:58:16 PM
I noticed my sink had a mild dripping leak last night, so I decided to do something about it. I'm happy to say after an hour's work it now has a much more severe leak.

So yeah anything you want to ask let me know, Faust.

When I have a leak I have essentially gotten to the point where I just automatically replace everything from the drain to the wall. Trying to fix used drain lines that aren't working anymore is guaranteed to take at least six times longer than just replacing them, and you'll end up replacing them in the end anyway. If you just start from "Shit, gotta replace everything" at least you'll be prepared to spend the $30 up front and then you can just enjoy the rest of your weekend instead of making innumerable trips to the hardware store and spending $15 on fix-it shit that won't work, and THEN spending $30 on a new drain and P-trap.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

ASK ME. ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS.

It took me much longer than it really should have to figure this out.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 27, 2016, 12:42:16 AM
ASK ME. ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS.

It took me much longer than it really should have to figure this out.
How do you know this?

I called my landlord and he's fixing it tomorrow.  :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Vanadium Gryllz

I have had a leaky shower for over a year  :sad:

I have bypassed the problem but to properly fix it I think we're going to have to fully replace it. I don't think my DIY skills are up to redoing a bathroom unfortunately.

On the other hand, one of my key skills is ignoring small problems until they become big ones so I can probably get another six months at least out of the hose valve I added before it or my girlfriend finally gives in.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Funeral's today. I have been awake since 2:30 am. This'll be an adventure.