News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Happy genetic testing birthday Nigel.

So, I finally saw Logan.  If more comic book movies were like that, I might actually watch them.

LMNO

Ok, what am I missing here? Saw Deadpool, thought it was trying waaaay too hard at being fan-service, which got in the way of the comedy, and the action/violence was tepid at best, and without a knowing wink to the obvious sociopathy. Saw Logan, got absolutely no pathos, saw a distinct lack of chemistry between the actors, and the emotional beats and drama were anemic.

Is it just that the bar has been set really low, or is it that a comic's arc been reset with the Netflix model of spending 10 hours to tell a story? Because Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have been great.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys!

I really enjoyed Deadpool, but also I am a stranger to the whole comics world and had no expectations.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO on April 29, 2017, 04:40:14 PM
Ok, what am I missing here? Saw Deadpool, thought it was trying waaaay too hard at being fan-service, which got in the way of the comedy, and the action/violence was tepid at best, and without a knowing wink to the obvious sociopathy. Saw Logan, got absolutely no pathos, saw a distinct lack of chemistry between the actors, and the emotional beats and drama were anemic.

Is it just that the bar has been set really low, or is it that a comic's arc been reset with the Netflix model of spending 10 hours to tell a story? Because Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have been great.

After 5 marvel films a year there's really nothing new that they bring to the table. If you've seen a few you can pretty much predict the beat of the film without even watching them. Opening whizz-bang, intro to secondary villain, origin story, whizz-bang with secondary villain, training montage/nod to character development, intro to main villain, scuffle with secondary villain that main villain gets involved with, end/or additional whizz-bang with main villain.

It's not just you, it's just the bar is this low and predictable. Just add appropriate catchphrases and Cgi.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

And happy birthday Nigel, crush your enemies and hear the lamentations of their women etc. Or however you people celebrate.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 29, 2017, 07:54:05 PM
And happy birthday Nigel, crush your enemies and hear the lamentations of their women etc. Or however you people celebrate.

DONE AND DONE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Doc says I oughtta give up all the good stuff.

I asked for a second opinion, which turned out to be "or move to the desert".

Only way I'd do that is if I could get full custody of my daughter and move her with me. Only way I could do THAT is if I could afford a really good lawyer. Only way I could do THAT is if I end up taking this ship job, but the medical stuff might make it impossible for me to pass the physical to get my MMC. I've got a feeling I should go buy some lube before the universe decides to move on from the foreplay.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 30, 2017, 05:40:05 PM

Only way I'd do that is if I could get full custody of my daughter and move her with me. Only way I could do THAT is if I could afford a really good lawyer. Only way I could do THAT is if I end up taking this ship job, but the medical stuff might make it impossible for me to pass the physical to get my MMC. I've got a feeling I should go buy some lube before the universe decides to move on from the foreplay.

What do you mean by all the good stuff? How would moving to the desert help? I'm sorry to hear you're possibly in(more of) a predicament.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

The desert allergens are fucking horrible.  They start about 18 months after you move here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 30, 2017, 07:14:39 PM

The desert allergens are fucking horrible.  They start about 18 months after you move here.

Job rang. He says he's missing you  :)
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on April 29, 2017, 04:40:14 PM

Superhero movies suck as a genre.  All of them.

The Keaton Batman made me dumber, and it's been downhill since then.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on April 30, 2017, 07:57:43 PM

Job rang. He says he's missing you  :)

AND I ALONE HATH SURVIVED TO TELL THEE...Mostly because I hogged up all the Benedryl.

East Coast Hustle

What allergens? Javelina poop and meth particles? Where I live the pollen and the mold are locked in a nuclear arms race vying for ultimate supremacy and I apparently have some bullshit they're calling a "hyper-reactive airway disease" which as near as I can tell is medical speak for "this is probably caused by a combination of environmental factors but without a shitload of expensive tests that aren't covered by your insurance we'll never know exactly what those are" so I imagine that anywhere drier and even slightly less allergenic (which is, basically, anywhere else in the world that people live) would be an improvement, medically speaking.

Of course, there's a whole fuck of a lot more to a man's quality of life than just being able to stay alive. But still, I'd be lying if I said that a year of struggling to breathe hasn't at least made me consider the idea.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ziegejunge

Happy belated, Nigel! Hope you enjoy your 23andMe results!!!!! That was an awesome gift!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ziegejunge on May 01, 2017, 04:26:42 PM
Happy belated, Nigel! Hope you enjoy your 23andMe results!!!!! That was an awesome gift!

Thank you! I'm pretty stoked to find out from where in Africa my black ancestors hail, and also whether I am really Cherokee or actually Jewish.