News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

POFP

One of my teammates got into an argument with one of the Security teams in the company I support. The argument was over whether or not they were doing their jobs, and over something they suspected was a minor vulnerability. I decided to point out the full extent of the back door, and test its limits. It turns out, it has none whatsoever.

The company uses an application that blocks scripts universally that aren't company approved. There are options within this security application (Which is managed by the team my teammate was in an argument with) to whitelist applications based on hashes generated based on raw App data, the directory the application is in, or based on the name of the file.

Well, they had a rule that allowed ALL applications to be run as long as the file was in a folder of a specific name. The fucked up part was, they didn't specify a path, only a folder name. That means ANYONE can make a folder with this specific name (This means all basic users too) and run any script they want. This folder can be created on the Desktop, or in any other directory.

When I showed this to my Teammate, he decided to get into a pissing contest with this security team over it. Shortly after, the security team invented a type of access and process to cover up this back door. They immediately added my teammates to a security group that would give them basic access to bypass their system, and claimed that this was the only reason our little exploit worked, stating that we all had that access the whole time. Shortly after that, the head of the security department of the company decided to email us all about some "changes" that were going to be made to their folder name whitelisting rule.

The disturbing part is, someone is likely profiting quite a bit from this back door, as the company is a Financial Firm. Either that, or they just don't wanna make themselves look bad. But because of the level of people involved in the cover-up, it's quite clear that any persistence into the matter will likely lead to our company being fired and us losing the account. I would still keep my job, because I've had a chance to demonstrate my usefulness, but there are plenty of new people that have not gotten that chance yet, so it would be selfish to push it any further. But it's definitely leading me to question some aspects of my morality. I can't risk other peoples' well-beings, but I also can't just let them get away with this.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on February 13, 2017, 05:20:28 PM
I'm afraid if I do a 23andMe test, the results will come with a shiny gold plaque that reads "Official White Privilege Verification".

All you need is a mirror for that!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Trivial

One of the weather wires is being f'd with, slight paranoia about that service being messed with by the current administration. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

Trivial

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 13, 2017, 03:23:28 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 13, 2017, 03:16:36 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 13, 2017, 02:43:50 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 13, 2017, 02:28:29 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 13, 2017, 01:38:32 AM
Hey guys! I'm back in.

Seems like I never left.

Welcome back!

Good to be back! I'm here for the lulz and a shot at world domin... I mean peace.

Yeah.

How fare ye Nigel? :)

I am hanging in there. My mind is clearer than it's been in a year, and I can tell that a lot of circuits that were sort of hijacked for the grieving process are coming back to normal function. I can made deductive leaps almost like normal, but creativity is still inaccessible for now. We just started the last leg of my graduate experiment, so in roughly 21 days I need to have all my protocols established and be ready to move forward on tissue prep.

I kind of hate graduate school. It's designed for people without families, and, well...

Also contemplating next steps. I had more or less decided not to pursue the MD/PhD, but now I'm back around to it... or maybe just med school, since if I have an MD and an MS I don't necessarily need a PhD, unless I really want to run a lab, which I don't think I do. I just have to figure out when I'll have time to take calculus and the rest of physics.

I'm glad you're feeling at least some recovery! For my part I'm looking for my next real job and getting over a pretty bad depression. I've been walking more and trying to get myself into a healthy lifestyle.

I've been quit of herb for about 2.5 months now and slowly accepting that I was using it as a crutch to deal with emotional problems I'm beginning to work my way through.

Any good with Windows OSes and talking to smartest-guy-in-the-room types over the phone?

Vanadium Gryllz

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Trivial

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on February 13, 2017, 09:24:14 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 13, 2017, 03:23:28 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 13, 2017, 03:16:36 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 13, 2017, 02:43:50 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 13, 2017, 02:28:29 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 13, 2017, 01:38:32 AM
Hey guys! I'm back in.

Seems like I never left.

Welcome back!

Good to be back! I'm here for the lulz and a shot at world domin... I mean peace.

Yeah.

How fare ye Nigel? :)

I am hanging in there. My mind is clearer than it's been in a year, and I can tell that a lot of circuits that were sort of hijacked for the grieving process are coming back to normal function. I can made deductive leaps almost like normal, but creativity is still inaccessible for now. We just started the last leg of my graduate experiment, so in roughly 21 days I need to have all my protocols established and be ready to move forward on tissue prep.

I kind of hate graduate school. It's designed for people without families, and, well...

Also contemplating next steps. I had more or less decided not to pursue the MD/PhD, but now I'm back around to it... or maybe just med school, since if I have an MD and an MS I don't necessarily need a PhD, unless I really want to run a lab, which I don't think I do. I just have to figure out when I'll have time to take calculus and the rest of physics.

I'm glad you're feeling at least some recovery! For my part I'm looking for my next real job and getting over a pretty bad depression. I've been walking more and trying to get myself into a healthy lifestyle.

I've been quit of herb for about 2.5 months now and slowly accepting that I was using it as a crutch to deal with emotional problems I'm beginning to work my way through.

Any good with Windows OSes and talking to smartest-guy-in-the-room types over the phone?

I can phone-schmmoze rather well indeed. My actual technical expertise is very limited, but I can operate a Windows PC. I'd just as soon do something much more physical though. If I were to take up a sit-down job I'd probably prefer to get back into electronic assembly/repair. Circuit boards don't generally get huffy. I appreciate the thought, thanks!

I'm in the process of looking for work in the LaX area again. Now that I'm clean there's several placement agencies out there that I can work through until I find something that I like. Some of my friends are willing to put me up short-term and my car is registered out there anyway. I was hoping for a job here on the East side of the state electrical wiring assembly for about $16/hr starting but the employment agency's rep has not followed though on several things and I suspect that they're dicking around.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to wind up, but I'd prefer LaX so I can take courses at a dojo out there a friend of mine teaches at. I'm hoping that I can teach myself better habits by training my body.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Punching through wooden planks is the true aim of any martial arts.  Better habits is just a positive side effect.

The Good Reverend Roger

We on The Night Crew would like to extend our sincerest apologies to everyone involved in The Incident.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

You'd think this shit would stop surprising me eventually, but once again something I loved so dearly has become something that just reminds me of my biggest failure.

So. Peace out, PD. It's been a wild ride these last 13 years. We had some times, huh?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on February 14, 2017, 08:30:35 AM
You'd think this shit would stop surprising me eventually, but once again something I loved so dearly has become something that just reminds me of my biggest failure.

So. Peace out, PD. It's been a wild ride these last 13 years. We had some times, huh?

:cry:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on February 14, 2017, 08:30:35 AM

:cry: Take care ECH. See you around some day hopefully.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."