News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 13, 2017, 03:22:26 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 03:27:41 AM
Quote from: LMNO on January 12, 2017, 06:50:43 PM
To be fair, this is the Open Bar.

Which is, also to be fair, not usually home to the degree of dick-waving I expect to see everywhere else on Peedee.

That's fair.

But isn't it also fair to consider it acceptable to bring said dick-waving to the Open Bar, as it's featured throughout the rest of the forum?

Well, obviously it's possible, since it happened. And clearly, you're here to make sure it keeps happening everywhere all the time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Uh oh, there have been two brief snow storms in London and reports of subzero temperatures overnight.

This means there won't be any milk or bread in the shops tomorrow.  Good thing I got mine yesterday.

Bruno

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 04:51:30 PM
Uh oh, there have been two brief snow storms in London and reports of subzero temperatures overnight.

This means there won't be any milk or bread in the shops tomorrow.  Good thing I got mine yesterday.

So that works the same way over there as it does over here? I would have figured it to be tea and scones, or fish and chips or something.

Something I've noticed while working two winters at a grocery store: If it works exactly the same, the full list should include pretty much anything WHITE.

Milk
Bread
Toilet Paper
Diapers
Eggs
and, for some reason, Onions
Formerly something else...

Cain

It's kinda bizarre too, because milk and bread keep.  Especially if you freeze bread (which should be easier with snow).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 04:51:30 PM

We are on day four of snow here, and were reduced to buying half and half (light cream) for our tea. There is no milk to be had.

A train derailed this morning.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

4 days is sort of understandable.  However I've never known, outside Scotland, snow to persist longer than 5 days in the countryside here.  In London, it never even lasts to the next day.  Yet everyone panic buys shit. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I could tell you why, but it's very boring and practical.

LMNO

It happens every year in New England.  Every. Year.

I skip the milk and bread aisle, and head straight to the bone-in pork roasts.  If I'm going to be snowed in, it's gonna smell good in my house.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 06:19:27 PM

I skip the milk and bread aisle, and head straight to the bone-in pork roasts.  If I'm going to be snowed in, it's gonna smell good in my house.

I appreciate this strategy.

Around here, milk, bread, fish, meat, and other short-turnover items are delivered to stores twice a week. When it snows, delivery is usually disrupted, so if you want any of these rapid-turnover perishables you had better get it before they run out, which will be soon because everyone else has the same idea. When we were at the store yesterday, the milk and fish cases were already empty.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 06:19:27 PM

Suu and Richter used to post hilarious update on that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Here's a hilarious update: Lysergic, not content with being a clock truther, now believes the Steele memo about Trump was faked by 4chan.  Or at least the golden shower part.  Despite the complete date disparity, and the fact that Steele was relying on Russian informants, not casually scoping out the latest /pol/ bullshit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 08:55:25 PM
Here's a hilarious update: Lysergic, not content with being a clock truther, now believes the Steele memo about Trump was faked by 4chan.  Or at least the golden shower part.  Despite the complete date disparity, and the fact that Steele was relying on Russian informants, not casually scoping out the latest /pol/ bullshit.

I think Lysergic has decided that in order to preserve his dignity, he has to believe the exact opposite of what people who have embarrassed him in the past believe.

Lysergic is wrong. Basing your value system and beliefs on a reaction to the value system and beliefs of other people is exactly the same as following the herd; it's not based on thinking.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 08:55:25 PM
I saw that.  I was quietly amused.
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 09:01:00 PM
Basing your value system and beliefs on a reaction to the value system and beliefs of other people is exactly the same as following the herd; it's not based on thinking.

I think there's a memebomb somewhere around here that echoes this sentiment.