Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I remember his idea for crowd sourcing government in real time, based on some elaborate ranking system.

He did NOT like our critiques.

Cain

So, last night, a guy (not one of our students) got jumped by a gang of five, including one with a weapon, right outside the building.

In addition to being terrible, this meant having about 12 police officers and 3 forensic scientists lurking outside the building, looking at our CCTV, trying to distinguish vomit from blood and other fun activities.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 14, 2017, 04:20:38 PM
I remember his idea for crowd sourcing government in real time, based on some elaborate ranking system.

He did NOT like our critiques.

He hated any and all forms of criticism, including constructive. He would fly into an irrational rage and start accusing people of being jealous.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 14, 2017, 06:18:10 PM
So, last night, a guy (not one of our students) got jumped by a gang of five, including one with a weapon, right outside the building.

In addition to being terrible, this meant having about 12 police officers and 3 forensic scientists lurking outside the building, looking at our CCTV, trying to distinguish vomit from blood and other fun activities.

The fuck, Cain. Your neighborhood... it sounds like it would fill gang members from East Oakland with confusion and terror.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Nah, the guy didn't have a gun or anything.  The weapon in question did look like an improvised flail though...wooden handle and what looks like leather strips on the CCTV.  Not 100% on that, but I suspect with 4 other guys pummeling him, it didn't make much difference.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 14, 2017, 10:19:56 PM
Nah, the guy didn't have a gun or anything.  The weapon in question did look like an improvised flail though...wooden handle and what looks like leather strips on the CCTV.  Not 100% on that, but I suspect with 4 other guys pummeling him, it didn't make much difference.

A FLAIL????  :lulz: LITERALLY getting medieval on the guy?

Cain

So it seemed, yeah.

Weaponry in London is weird.  With the gun ban, you have the usual knives, bottles and occasionally baseball bats (though since baseball isn't popular here, police tend to pick up on it).  But then you have the guys with replica katanas and rapiers, lighters and aerosol, lathi and zoot sticks...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 14, 2017, 10:56:18 PM
So it seemed, yeah.

Weaponry in London is weird.  With the gun ban, you have the usual knives, bottles and occasionally baseball bats (though since baseball isn't popular here, police tend to pick up on it).  But then you have the guys with replica katanas and rapiers, lighters and aerosol, lathi and zoot sticks...

Goddamn. :eek:

LMNO

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on January 15, 2017, 04:06:47 PM
Dare I ask what a zoot stick is?

It's actually an American term.  We probably have another charming term for it, but basically it's a 2x4 with razor blades planted in it.  It's name comes from its use in the Zoot Suit Riots, where it was used primarly by anti-Mexican gangs and off duty riot police officers. 

I've actually been reading The Big Nowhere lately, the prequel to LA Confidential, and the serial killer in the book uses a zoot stick.  The whole plot is bound up in the Sleepy Lagoon murder (linked to the Zoot Suit Riots), corruption in the LAPD, racism and anti-Communist hysteria.  So typical Ellroy.

LMNO

Holy crap.

Well, now I know something new.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Rev Thwack on January 14, 2017, 03:57:26 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 14, 2017, 10:34:28 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 03:27:41 AM
Quote from: LMNO on January 12, 2017, 06:50:43 PM
To be fair, this is the Open Bar.

Which is, also to be fair, not usually home to the degree of dick-waving I expect to see everywhere else on Peedee.

The dick-waving quotient increases by about 748% any time Thwack decides to grace us with his presence. He's still PeeDee-ing like it's 2006.

What can I say, sometimes elements of times past should return. There is a lot to be said for not taking yourself too seriously, and there are some here that really need to remember that.

No argument there, it's just that experience shows us that the people who tend to self-appoint themselves for that task are usually in that category themselves.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

minuspace

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 16, 2017, 07:11:41 AM

Which is, also to be fair, not usually home to the degree of dick-waving I expect to see everywhere else on Peedee.

The dick-waving quotient increases by about 748% any time Thwack decides to grace us with his presence. He's still PeeDee-ing like it's 2006.

What can I say, sometimes elements of times past should return. There is a lot to be said for not taking yourself too seriously, and there are some here that really need to remember that.

No argument there, it's just that experience shows us that the people who tend to self-appoint themselves for that task are usually in that category themselves.
:lulz:
I mean, otherwise the whole shtick would be, just, inconceivable, and tedious.  Mainly tedious. :)

minuspace

And, on that note, I just had to mute a TV because THAR WUZ PLEIN ME SONG.  I'm going to be okay.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 16, 2017, 07:11:41 AM

Plus there's something kind of amazingly self-absorbed about someone who goes around trying to knock people down a peg or two for... what? Not being funny enough? Dance, monkeys, dance! Had a rough year? Not in a jolly mood? I DON'T CARE, LIGHTEN UP AND ENTERTAIN ME ME ME ME ME ME!

I mean, gosh, sorry if my mood is too serious for you.