News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Oh, I forgot to add, France being flipped render's UK conventional forces, which by European standards are not inconsiderable, in a tricky situation too.  The original plan was that in the event of a war, the tanks and APCs will be shipped via the Channel Tunnel.  The NATO wargames mean that has already happened, at least in part, with the rest to occur during the next month.  Now, the plan is that UK troops pass through the CT and go to where the tanks are, which is more sensible...but depends on free movement from France into Germany by a cooperating government.

Given Le Pen's entire party is bankrolled by Russian banks, I don't see her going along with that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2017, 04:42:05 AM
The original plan was that in the event of a war, the tanks and APCs will be shipped via the Channel Tunnel.

That is an example of single-point failure being taking to absolutely retarded extremes.

QuoteGiven Le Pen's entire party is bankrolled by Russian banks, I don't see her going along with that.

No, I don't, either. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well, I assume we could have the Royal Navy transport them into Germany direct via their northern ports...it'd just be that much more risky with Russian subs swarming the place and take three times as long.  Same with airlifts.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2017, 04:50:59 AM
Well, I assume we could have the Royal Navy transport them into Germany direct via their northern ports...it'd just be that much more risky with Russian subs swarming the place and take three times as long.  Same with airlifts.

Airlifts are a non-starter for armored units, on any real scale.

But destroying a tunnel full of tanks seems pretty easy.  Especially if France is acting dodgy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bruno

So, I'm thinking about starting a small business online advertising and selling jackboots and other authoritarian paraphernalia on facebook. This is clearly intended for trolling purposes, but, at the same time, I would like to actually be set up to sell with a vary small, simple and cheap website that is set up for drop-shipping. I think it gives the whole thing more of a "No, Seriously. Would you like to buy some jackboots, my good sir?" edge.

Anybody know anything about that kind of stuff?
Formerly something else...

hooplala

Not sure why you would want to supply paraphernalia to authoritarians? The trolling reason behind it isn't going to make much difference when the jackboots are being used to curbstomp a gay kid.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I know a hell of a lot about making a living from selling online, and there's no way in hell I would help you with a project like that. Just FYI.

"You are what you eat" applies nowhere so well as it does in business.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

I am in heavy freak out mode. Gotta take a break from facebook, gotta talk to people more substantially. I have definitely gotten lazy in my socializing, not really engaging with people. Since my divorce and falling out with almost every friend I had I have been hesitant to really put myself out there, opting instead to snatch whatever low-hanging fruit I can find.

And now that either total destruction or white authoritarianism (which is just about the same) is looking likely, I am just fried. I want to yell at every god damn person who protest voted or didn't vote at all.

I would very much like to stop this ride and hop on a different one.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is, most assuredly, a fit-throwing hellride.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I feel like my life has split into two halves; the before half, when I was a pretty young woman, a globally known artist in my field and then a star college student, PhD-bound, with three lovely healthy kids and the bloom of new love, all on our way to a secure future, and the after half, when I am a scarred old woman struggling with the aftermath of the death of my son, trudging through a Masters program and trying not to fear the future with a bumbling, mediocre, sexist, racist businessman in charge of the country and a shifting social climate in which even self-proclaimed liberals no longer feel they have to conceal their sexism and their racism, and think that this is the time to challenge feminist and civil rights movements for whatever reasons they imagine sound reasonable.

Bruno

RE: Hoopla & Nigel

I was never really expecting to actually sell any jackboots. My target audience is about a dozen or so people on my facebook who are acting like they could start goosestepping any minute, but I think they're the kind who would rather let someone else handle the dirty work. They're pretty much Dominionists, though I doubt they even know what that word means. Basically, all the people I un-un-followed after the election to keep an eye on; mostly people I went to elementary/middle/high school with, and people from my church.

Having thought about it some more, I think a better plan wold be to set up a website that just looks like a legitimate e-commerce site selling jackboots and brown shirts at amazing prices, which lets the attempted buyer fill out all their information (except credit card), then just before it gets to the last page, freezes up for about two minutes, and then they get a page that says something like "Sorry, something went wrong, please try again later".

hooplala

Quote from: Emo Howard on January 22, 2017, 02:18:02 AM

I was never really expecting to actually sell any jackboots. My target audience is about a dozen or so people on my facebook who are acting like they could start goosestepping any minute, but I think they're the kind who would rather let someone else handle the dirty work. They're pretty much Dominionists, though I doubt they even know what that word means. Basically, all the people I un-un-followed after the election to keep an eye on; mostly people I went to elementary/middle/high school with, and people from my church.

Having thought about it some more, I think a better plan wold be to set up a website that just looks like a legitimate e-commerce site selling jackboots and brown shirts at amazing prices, which lets the attempted buyer fill out all their information (except credit card), then just before it gets to the last page, freezes up for about two minutes, and then they get a page that says something like "Sorry, something went wrong, please try again later".

Ah, well I could get behind that. You should've opened with that. Remember, embellishment is the heart of storytelling.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bruno

Quote from: Hoopla on January 22, 2017, 03:03:43 AM

Ah, well I could get behind that. You should've opened with that. Remember, embellishment is the heart of storytelling.

Yeah, sorry. Something on facebook pissed me off just as I was getting ready to leave for work, and I just kinda banged that first one out in a rush. At first, the idea of a site that actually sells jackboots seemed like a good beginning of an idea, but there were a few things in the back of my mind setting off alarms telling me it might need some adjusting.

For starters, what companies are out there that drop-ship jackboots? Do I want to do business with them? A company that specializes in jackboots and brown shirts? Nope. A company that sells boots, some of which happen to be jack, and shirts, some of which happen to be brown? Maybe.

Also, I know nothing about the jackboot market, and whether there are other uses for them besides Nazi-ing around in. For all I know, J.C. Penny sells them. Either way, I'm not really interested in selling them, merely the appearance of selling them.

Also, brown shirts and other things that fit the theme.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ah, if you're just fucking with them and not actually taking their money, I'm all for it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fuck this Presidency. I am noticing sexist, racist, homophobic posts and comments pop up more and more, from people I NEVER would have expected it from, along with lots and lots of posts aimed at knocking down people who support feminist and civil rights movements. This is more discouraging to me than the right-wing conservatives spouting the same garbage, because it tells me that there are a lot of people calling themselves liberals who have been allies in name only, because they got social approval for being allies, and now that they might get social approval for revealing their true feelings about uppity wimmins and queers and colored folk, they're testing the waters.