PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2017, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 23, 2017, 11:37:24 PM
So, I've been working as a recruiter's assistant for close to 3 months (90 day probationary period is over in just over a week)... not a bad job, but it's very "salesman", which is not something I am particularly good at. There's also a bunch of minutiae one needs to remember in the computer system, and the recruiter I work under gets the full commission for work I do. (I screen potential clients, go through their work history, and decide if they are worth submitting to our clients).

So. it's a much better job than I have had since I got laid off from the Pussy Palace, but it's not really my cuppa, when it comes down to it.

A friend offered me a gig at a pot-growing garden on the north side of the city. Apparently it's licensed (not certain if this is true yet). Two bucks more per hour than the recruiter job, but there's obviously a bit of a stigma involved. Wife was unimpressed by the offer, despite the 2 dollars more. She sees me getting busted in a raid. Which I can't say I know for sure won't happen.

I'm thinking I should at least go for coffee with this friend and get more details. Or, am I nuts for even considering this? There is definitely a part of me worried I am just tryin to skirt responsibility. Probably a big part.

Opinions? (Apologies for post length)

What's the likelihood of legality in your area? To me, it sounds like an amazing opportunity, if only because you will have an "in" when/if recreational pot is legalized there.

It's likely pretty close, though I do wonder if the government is planning to take over growing if and when it's implemented.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Hoopla on January 24, 2017, 02:43:31 PM
So, I've been working as a recruiter's assistant for close to 3 months (90 day probationary period is over in just over a week)... not a bad job, but it's very "salesman", which is not something I am particularly good at. There's also a bunch of minutiae one needs to remember in the computer system, and the recruiter I work under gets the full commission for work I do. (I screen potential clients, go through their work history, and decide if they are worth submitting to our clients).

So. it's a much better job than I have had since I got laid off from the Pussy Palace, but it's not really my cuppa, when it comes down to it.

A friend offered me a gig at a pot-growing garden on the north side of the city. Apparently it's licensed (not certain if this is true yet). Two bucks more per hour than the recruiter job, but there's obviously a bit of a stigma involved. Wife was unimpressed by the offer, despite the 2 dollars more. She sees me getting busted in a raid. Which I can't say I know for sure won't happen.

I'm thinking I should at least go for coffee with this friend and get more details. Or, am I nuts for even considering this? There is definitely a part of me worried I am just tryin to skirt responsibility. Probably a big part.

What's the likelihood of legality in your area? To me, it sounds like an amazing opportunity, if only because you will have an "in" when/if recreational pot is legalized there.

It's likely pretty close, though I do wonder if the government is planning to take over growing if and when it's implemented.

It's worth considering the ways that growing would be very different to a traditional job before you take it on. You are growing a bunch of plants for around 4-6 months and then harvesting. One risk is that some disaster strikes and all your plants die. If disaster doesn't strike you're probably gonna be doing a lot of hauling soil/water around and trimming leaves day-to-day.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Salty

Along with cool little mustaches and everything else, NAZIs have ruined the handle I have had for 8 years. Thanks, Hitler.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Shifty on January 24, 2017, 05:37:21 PM
Along with cool little mustaches and everything else, NAZIs have ruined the handle I have had for 8 years. Thanks, Hitler.

That sucks. I don't know what I'd do if I lost EoC.

Part of me does want to ruin each of your names until you're stuck with PgUpy or something though. Inserty.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Salty

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 24, 2017, 06:01:30 PM

Part of me does want to ruin each of your names until you're stuck with PgUpy or something though. Inserty.

:argh!:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

I might just volunteer to take "Inserty".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thinking strategically, and considering what has happened in Portland post-legalization, I would advise seriously considering this as a career option. Getting into any aspect of this industry is totally a who-you-know thing here now; it is an incredibly challenging industry to break into if you were not already involved pre-legalization. Industry skills are also highly portable, so although relocation destinations may currently be limited, it is certainly one aspect to consider.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wait what goddamnit
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 23, 2017, 11:20:15 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 23, 2017, 11:06:41 PM
Currently feeling very pleased with myself for this quiz question:

10. Cnidaria have two life stages: (1 pt)

Harpy and cyst
Siren and abscess
Dryad and nodule
Medusa and polyp

:lulz:

Bonus question how many of these are the names of $25/plate gastropubs.

The Dryad and Nodule is just up the street from us! Oh wait... no, that's Grain and Gristle.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 24, 2017, 06:01:30 PM

F5y
Commandy
Appley
Optiony
Fny (WTF is that key, anyway?)

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2017, 07:15:39 PM

Thinking strategically, and considering what has happened in Portland post-legalization, I would advise seriously considering this as a career option. Getting into any aspect of this industry is totally a who-you-know thing here now; it is an incredibly challenging industry to break into if you were not already involved pre-legalization. Industry skills are also highly portable, so although relocation destinations may currently be limited, it is certainly one aspect to consider.

Thanks Nigel, that's good information to have under my belt when I go talk to my friend this weekend. I would love to get in on the ground floor of what will undoubtedly be a gargantuan industry here in Canada.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel