News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on January 24, 2017, 11:48:23 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2017, 07:15:39 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 24, 2017, 02:43:31 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 24, 2017, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 23, 2017, 11:37:24 PM
So, I've been working as a recruiter's assistant for close to 3 months (90 day probationary period is over in just over a week)... not a bad job, but it's very "salesman", which is not something I am particularly good at. There's also a bunch of minutiae one needs to remember in the computer system, and the recruiter I work under gets the full commission for work I do. (I screen potential clients, go through their work history, and decide if they are worth submitting to our clients).

So. it's a much better job than I have had since I got laid off from the Pussy Palace, but it's not really my cuppa, when it comes down to it.

A friend offered me a gig at a pot-growing garden on the north side of the city. Apparently it's licensed (not certain if this is true yet). Two bucks more per hour than the recruiter job, but there's obviously a bit of a stigma involved. Wife was unimpressed by the offer, despite the 2 dollars more. She sees me getting busted in a raid. Which I can't say I know for sure won't happen.

I'm thinking I should at least go for coffee with this friend and get more details. Or, am I nuts for even considering this? There is definitely a part of me worried I am just tryin to skirt responsibility. Probably a big part.

Opinions? (Apologies for post length)

What's the likelihood of legality in your area? To me, it sounds like an amazing opportunity, if only because you will have an "in" when/if recreational pot is legalized there.

It's likely pretty close, though I do wonder if the government is planning to take over growing if and when it's implemented.

Thinking strategically, and considering what has happened in Portland post-legalization, I would advise seriously considering this as a career option. Getting into any aspect of this industry is totally a who-you-know thing here now; it is an incredibly challenging industry to break into if you were not already involved pre-legalization. Industry skills are also highly portable, so although relocation destinations may currently be limited, it is certainly one aspect to consider.

Thanks Nigel, that's good information to have under my belt when I go talk to my friend this weekend. I would love to get in on the ground floor of what will undoubtedly be a gargantuan industry here in Canada.

YW! If you do pursue it, I hope it treats you well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Cain, my mom asked who you are because you sometimes reply to my facebook posts. I told her I have no idea but I thought you should know that by elementary school measure we're friends now.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Whyyyyy did I agree to go in at 9 am to observe the setup for sagittal brain sectioning on a day I have to be on campus until 8? I was there from 7:15 to 7:10 yesterday. I feel like I can't really complain about 12 hour days when I just got an unexpected 6-day weekend because of snow, but I am gonna anyway.

Freeky

I had stuff to do yesterday, and decided to take home a bus that would drop me off a few extra blocks from home so I could get some exercise.  Some drunk asshole staggered into my path and aggressively said "Hey. Where 'r you goin?!" When I glared and said I was going home, he stared at me, then said "Me, too," and fucking waved me on, gave me permission to leave.

I remember why I don't go out during the day, anymore.

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 25, 2017, 03:26:51 AM
Cain, my mom asked who you are because you sometimes reply to my facebook posts. I told her I have no idea but I thought you should know that by elementary school measure we're friends now.

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 25, 2017, 04:08:55 PM
Whyyyyy did I agree to go in at 9 am to observe the setup for sagittal brain sectioning on a day I have to be on campus until 8? I was there from 7:15 to 7:10 yesterday. I feel like I can't really complain about 12 hour days when I just got an unexpected 6-day weekend because of snow, but I am gonna anyway.

The best thing about this complaint was when I got here and realized that I didn't have to be here until 11. It's tomorrow that I have to be here by 9.  :kingmeh:

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 25, 2017, 09:05:02 PM

The best thing about this complaint was when I got here and realized that I didn't have to be here until 11. It's tomorrow that I have to be here by 9.  :kingmeh:

That's a special kind of aggravation.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on January 25, 2017, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 25, 2017, 09:05:02 PM

That's a special kind of aggravation.

I kinda feel like I trolled myself.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My first choice for my grad committee said yes!

Now I just have to get the other guy to say yes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And then the professor from grant writing popped around to ask whether he can use my specific aims as an example in his class. Do not know whether this is going to be flattering or humiliating.

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 26, 2017, 12:05:14 AM
And then the professor from grant writing popped around to ask whether he can use my specific aims as an example in his class. Do not know whether this is going to be flattering or humiliating.

Some people pay to be humiliated.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

Oh shit, Nigel, I hope it's not a humiliating thing!

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.