News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

When you file your taxes and hardly get shit back, so you start considering Anarchism as a valid political viewpoint.   :argh!:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on February 07, 2017, 11:04:58 PM
When you file your taxes and hardly get shit back, so you start considering Anarchism as a valid political viewpoint.   :argh!:

:um:

That is basically the argument of libertarians and the wealthy.

The Good Reverend Roger

:|
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 08, 2017, 12:31:48 AM

:|

I remember being kind of happy when I got back less from my income tax refunds than I had paid in for the first time. Even if it was a wage that was paid with tax moneys.

POFP

The company I support had a major system failure a week or so ago, and it gave me the opportunity to shine. The company's VPN system failed for many people who don't have an office location to go to. The fix was to install the newest version of the VPN program.

As a contractor, I have access to Remote Administration Tools, which grant me the ability to remote into users' computers that aren't connected to the Company's network. From there, I would transfer the new update to the user's computer and run it.

The unfortunate part, is that none of the users have Administrative access over their workstations. So the installs were only working on computers owned by developers who were granted local admin rights.

Our Deskside team decided to ignore our request for the local Admin passwords until several hundred people were unable to work. Once we finally got the passwords, we found out that the passwords are changed monthly, and pushed out via Group Policy. This is both, extremely inconvenient, and very insecure, for reasons I will go into later. But it essentially meant that the Deskside team's method for resolution was to try every password from every month since the computer was made. And when they realized that this process was going to be tedious and time consuming, they decided that they were NOT going to actually fix the issues. Instead, their entire department started forwarding their tickets to our team of 3 people.

In minutes, I simplified the entire process with a single Command from the command line. I sent an email to my team describing the much more simplified process. My boss decided to forward my email, with no context or explanation, to the entire Deskside team and it's Department Head.

The email, as it was received, appeared to be me telling the Deskside team how to do their jobs, bluntly. Best part is, the head of the Deskside department commended me for it in a reply all. Then, they forwarded it to other higher-ups within the company.

After that, and my exposure of a serious security flaw during a several-hundred dollar bridge call with some higher-ups, higher-ups within my own company started to take notice. We received some nice bonuses, and now my boss is forwarding internal, management-level job offers to me. Things are looking very very good for me at the moment.

Quote from: Don Coyote on February 08, 2017, 12:31:23 AM

That was the joke  :lulz:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Trivial

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on February 08, 2017, 01:01:05 AM
The company I support had a major system failure a week or so ago, and it gave me the opportunity to shine. The company's VPN system failed for many people who don't have an office location to go to. The fix was to install the newest version of the VPN program.

As a contractor, I have access to Remote Administration Tools, which grant me the ability to remote into users' computers that aren't connected to the Company's network. From there, I would transfer the new update to the user's computer and run it.

The unfortunate part, is that none of the users have Administrative access over their workstations. So the installs were only working on computers owned by developers who were granted local admin rights.

Our Deskside team decided to ignore our request for the local Admin passwords until several hundred people were unable to work. Once we finally got the passwords, we found out that the passwords are changed monthly, and pushed out via Group Policy. This is both, extremely inconvenient, and very insecure, for reasons I will go into later. But it essentially meant that the Deskside team's method for resolution was to try every password from every month since the computer was made. And when they realized that this process was going to be tedious and time consuming, they decided that they were NOT going to actually fix the issues. Instead, their entire department started forwarding their tickets to our team of 3 people.

In minutes, I simplified the entire process with a single Command from the command line. I sent an email to my team describing the much more simplified process. My boss decided to forward my email, with no context or explanation, to the entire Deskside team and it's Department Head.

The email, as it was received, appeared to be me telling the Deskside team how to do their jobs, bluntly. Best part is, the head of the Deskside department commended me for it in a reply all. Then, they forwarded it to other higher-ups within the company.

After that, and my exposure of a serious security flaw during a several-hundred dollar bridge call with some higher-ups, higher-ups within my own company started to take notice. We received some nice bonuses, and now my boss is forwarding internal, management-level job offers to me. Things are looking very very good for me at the moment.

Nice.  Best I can get when I yell at people up the chain that something is broken, I get an acknowledgement that something is broken.

Right now trying to figure out who to yell at for their stupid idea to try to just ship weather media systems to other countries when said countries have (effectively) no local data or models tailored to the region. 

This is despite the fact we sell systems that can measure said data.  They aren't packaging them together or have any sort of push to sell them in said countries.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

East Coast Hustle

You know you had a shit day when the part where you were first on the scene of a horrific car accident and ended up spending several minutes giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to a probably dead guy was not even remotely the worst part of your day.

Man, seriously fuck this shit right in the ear. I'm ready to just walk deep into the woods somewhere and call it a fucking day.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Holy Fuck.  ECH, I don't know how this stuff keeps happening to you.

Trivial

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on February 08, 2017, 08:40:36 AM
You know you had a shit day when the part where you were first on the scene of a horrific car accident and ended up spending several minutes giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to a probably dead guy was not even remotely the worst part of your day.

Man, seriously fuck this shit right in the ear. I'm ready to just walk deep into the woods somewhere and call it a fucking day.

:sad:
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Jesus fuck. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

POFP

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on February 08, 2017, 03:42:53 AM
Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on February 08, 2017, 01:01:05 AM

Nice.  Best I can get when I yell at people up the chain that something is broken, I get an acknowledgement that something is broken.

Right now trying to figure out who to yell at for their stupid idea to try to just ship weather media systems to other countries when said countries have (effectively) no local data or models tailored to the region. 

This is despite the fact we sell systems that can measure said data.  They aren't packaging them together or have any sort of push to sell them in said countries.

:lulz:

That's like knowingly offering to baby-sit for a couple that doesn't have a kid. And then, when they tell you they don't have a kid, but want to adopt one, you tell them that you have a kid you were wanting to put up for adoption, but not for them.

Does your company already communicate with these potential non-customers? Or are they just shipping these products over to these countries based on speculation that one of them will be stupid enough to buy techmology they can't use yet?

What the FUCK.  :cry:

Freeky

East Coast Hustle

I checked and apparently it was not a fatality accident. So I guess that's a win, at least.

Quote from: LMNO on February 08, 2017, 01:10:56 PM
Holy Fuck.  ECH, I don't know how this stuff keeps happening to you.

Mostly it doesn't happen to me, I just have a knack for being around when it happens to other people. Not sure if I'm just hyper-obsevant or if I've got my own personal entropy cloud that follows me around.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Glad they're not dead.  Hey - you may have saved someone's life!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on February 08, 2017, 05:34:55 PM
I checked and apparently it was not a fatality accident. So I guess that's a win, at least.

Yay for dude not being dead! Way to go!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."