News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today, I have a whole group of students who are absolutely gobsmacked by having to do simple math. Which I walked them through, and them even put a slide on the projector with the step-by-step.

And they want me to show them how to use Excel.

I am not a math tutor. I am not an Excel tutor. Hypothetically, they had to make graphs and do math all last term in order to be in this class, so WTF.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

To quote Bull Durham:  "They're kids.  Scare them."

The Wizard Joseph

Employment... check.

Place to live... check.

Subversive revolution in metaphysics... check.

Overall a successful day!  :)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on March 07, 2017, 07:19:07 PM
To quote Bull Durham:  "They're kids.  Scare them."

I was a little mean. I said "You probably need to go to the library and review basic math".

And then there was a small parade of students asking me questions about the final project, which I have been reminding them to start on weekly for two months.

But you know what? Allll these lazy little shits who fail won't be my problem next term, so fuck it. I have no idea how they got this far, but they won't skate any further.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 07, 2017, 09:09:58 PM
Employment... check.

Place to live... check.

Subversive revolution in metaphysics... check.

Overall a successful day!  :)

Excellent!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Aw. :) Just as I was being all ragey and bitter about a few incompetents in my class, one of my students from last term emailed me to say that she loved my lab last  term, and wants to be in my section next term.

HEART HEART HEART HEART HEART.

I remember this one, she is super hardworking and great. It's funny, my favorite students are almost never the high-score earners, but the ones who work really hard to master the materials and ask a lot of questions.

Cramulus

hey guys I just jacked off a car

my parole officer's gonna be AROUSED

Bruno

Quote from: Cramulus on March 08, 2017, 05:15:55 AM
hey guys I just jacked off a car

my parole officer's gonna be AROUSED

Were there dragons?
Formerly something else...

LMNO

Cramulus

no, its a problem, my parole officer specifically told me not to get him all hot and bothered

fuck, man... what do I do??? I'm not going back to the Shadow Zone.

Salty

Been working at 5-string banjo for a few years now and really feel like I am getting somewhere.

I can do basic claw-hammer just fine, it's really easy actually. Now, after much effort, I can just about sing and finger-pick at the same time, which is SUPER RAD.

People make fun of ukuleles, but 10 years of playing those dinky little things have translated into a baseline competency in other string instruments.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Quote from: Salty on March 08, 2017, 06:39:54 PM
Been working at 5-string banjo for a few years now and really feel like I am getting somewhere.

I can do basic claw-hammer just fine, it's really easy actually. Now, after much effort, I can just about sing and finger-pick at the same time, which is SUPER RAD.

People make fun of ukuleles, but 10 years of playing those dinky little things have translated into a baseline competency in other string instruments.

My brother plays a mean banjo.  Learned a lot of the old Appalachian songs, too, the ones with the weird tunings.

He was very into recommending the Earl Scruggs instruction books for people who wanted to learn [/borderline unsolicited advice]

Salty

Quote from: LMNO on March 08, 2017, 06:44:20 PM
Quote from: Salty on March 08, 2017, 06:39:54 PM

My brother plays a mean banjo.  Learned a lot of the old Appalachian songs, too, the ones with the weird tunings.

He was very into recommending the Earl Scruggs instruction books for people who wanted to learn [/borderline unsolicited advice]

Thanks! I didn't realize he had books. I will definitely check them out.

I have not yet learned the Scruggs method. For some reason my brain doesn't naturally take to it, like claw-hammer. So far, I have just been picking by ear. More accurately, there are a few songs that have been ricocheting around my head and speakers and I have been trying to pick them from memory.

The downside to this is I play the same two songs over and over and over. I learned a new one yesterday, which is such a wonderful break from the monotony.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

To be fair, my brother is also a fairly good guitar player, so he had kind of a head start.

Dildo Argentino

Thank you for guiding my fingers through the maze of google to find this treasure trove of fascinating information.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis