News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on March 11, 2017, 04:14:31 PM
Yeah, it's nice to know at least one other person is thinking along similar lines as me.  I was writing my article for the law firm people this morning, about what happened in Kabul and quite frankly it's shocking.  They hit a military hospital, next to the US embassy, in central Kabul.  And ISIS in Afghanistan is nothing like ISIS in Syria and Iraq.  They barely control territory, everybody hates them...yet they were able to pull this off?

I thought the method was a bit odd. I'm no expert of course, but the use of a bomber and 4 gunmen seemed like a more specifically targeted sort of method to me. I wondered if they had primary targets in mind. Sort of a "kill these specific people, then generally just kill until you catch a martyrdom" when you're not exactly sure where the targets will be.

Alternatively they only had resources for 1 bomb and are trying (successfully) to distinguish themselves...

I had no idea it was so close to a bunch of embassies and was a military hospital. Makes me wonder if maybe they had insider help. That would be most upsetting. Perhaps someone in Afghanistan's administration sees an opportunity and has made some very bad allies to help. I'm done wildly speculating, but that's some disturbing shit.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Vanadium Gryllz

Congrats Cain and Nigel on your respective achievements.

Nigel - what's going to be the topic?
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Freeky

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on March 11, 2017, 10:03:01 AM
Heh, Gary Brecher is liking my posts on Facebook.  About terrorism and shit.

Cain,
made it.

Awesome!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xaz on March 11, 2017, 06:41:54 PM
Congrats Cain and Nigel on your respective achievements.

Nigel - what's going to be the topic?

I'm thinking either the effects of stress on neurogenesis, or else the biochemical signaling pathways through which environmental cues alter hormone levels.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

minuspace

Dildo Argentino

Could I have some input on this from my betters, please? https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/08/wikileaks-has-joined-the-trump-administration/ Is this likely to be a realistic assessment? (I mean apart from the foul language, which makes it quite clear that this is something of a partisan effort.)
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Dildo Argentino on March 12, 2017, 10:38:09 AM
Could I have some input on this from my betters, please? https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/08/wikileaks-has-joined-the-trump-administration/ Is this likely to be a realistic assessment? (I mean apart from the foul language, which makes it quite clear that this is something of a partisan effort.)

Max Boot's a neocon, general asshole and long time critic of the Tea Party/Trump wing of the party.  He writes a lot about foreign policy, but he doesn't have any specific expertise, access or knowledge regarding Wikileaks and Trump.

THAT SAID, it turns out Trump adviser Roger Stone was in contact with "Guccifer 2.0", the alleged DNC hacker and suspected FSB sockpuppet, and it also turns out that UKIP leader and noted Trump supporter Nigel Farage is in close contact with Assange.

Assange has said he would leak info on Trump's tax returns if he was presented with it...but it is interesting that hacks on Republican figures, such as Colin Powell's emails, were released on the DCLeaks website and not via Wikileaks - only the DNC and Podesta hacks got that treatment.  The RNC has claimed it has not been breached by hackers, which I find somewhat unbelievable.

And then there's the timing of the most recent CIA release by Wikileaks.  The timeframe from the tools suggest that the hack occured last year, and US investigators are working under that assumption.  The files also appear to be more curated and organised for relevance than previous leaks, such as the infamous AKP Turkey emails, which successfully turned Wikileaks into the largest database of Turkish spam emails and viruses in the world for a brief time.  That the leak, which seems to have been prepared for a while, occurs as the US intelligence community is turning up the heat on Trump seems...very beneficial for painting the CIA as nefarious actors.

Cain

Also worth mentioning that Trump - who is usually keen to jump on Twitter and opine about everything under the sun - stayed silent on the CIA leak for 24 hours, before issuing a press statement via Spicer.

Cain

In other news, dehydration is no joke.  I know this, I know it kills people, but I don't think I realised just how low on fluids I was getting on my day when I finish shift.  Between the messed up sleep patterns and whatever, it's way too easy to lose track of your intake.

minuspace

Me too, it's not nearly hot enough for me to justify substituting beer for water.

Cramulus

Quote from: LuciferX on March 12, 2017, 07:17:32 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 12, 2017, 06:33:23 AM
uncannily familiar: http://fourthwayschool.org/prison4.html
Is that the O9A's logo on there...

nope, that's a Fourth Way symbol, which is a seven pointed figure

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 12, 2017, 02:55:03 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 12, 2017, 06:33:23 AM
uncannily familiar: http://fourthwayschool.org/prison4.html

Ooooh, derivative!

Them or us? hahah
Gurdjieff's writings predate us by like 100 years.

I think it's another hand on the same elephant

LMNO

Yeah, I'm pretty sure RAW even calls him out directly in one of the Cosmic Trigger books.