Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 16, 2017, 05:15:50 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 16, 2017, 03:36:33 PM
I am also glad you are not dead.

It does help to hear this. Thanks LMNO.

I know I haven't had much in the way of interaction with you here (and well, it's been a rough 2 years or so, so mostly been in lurk status as it is), but glad to hear you're still with us. One of my best friends killed himself almost a year and a half ago, and it really tore so many lives apart - probably a lot more than he expected. The effects are still being felt, and will certainly be for some time to come.

I get in a bad way myself sometimes, even since then, but it's in a big way the thought of the people who will be left behind picking up the pieces, whether you believe it at the time or not, that makes it not worth it. It may sound cliché, but hang in there and know that you do matter in this world.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Why the hell don't we address women as "mister"? It's derived from "master", and the etymology indicates nothing about gender. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=master
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Well actually, have you tried not getting upset at this kind of stuff?  After all, women aren't natural leaders.  You should leave that up to the men; the penis determines mastery.

:asshat:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on March 16, 2017, 07:15:29 PM
Well actually, have you tried not getting upset at this kind of stuff?  After all, women aren't natural leaders.  You should leave that up to the men; the penis determines mastery.

:asshat:

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 16, 2017, 07:05:36 PM
Why the hell don't we address women as "mister"? It's derived from "master", and the etymology indicates nothing about gender. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=master
Gender etymology varies depending on the region, Dutch, French, and so on have different ways of handling to it to English.
Measter still has the eastern european feminine form which adds an a, meastra. The french just use maître, but for a lot of words they only distinguish with Le/La. 
The post grad (at least any I've seen) uses master regardless of the gender but technically Mistress should also be applicable.

Doctor who had a fun play on this two years ago where a villain The Master regenerated as a woman

The Master:

The Mistress:

Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cramulus on March 16, 2017, 05:53:39 PM
For TWJ: 100% of the time, this guy cheers me up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dpNS2l7jNs

I appreciate the thought. I think I saw him once. He was amusing at the time. The blunt truth right now is that I kinda want to clip his weird, ET fingers off and see if he can still do his "yoga" without them. Not to be all edgy, but just looking at him is like nails on a chalkboard irritating just now.

To be fair if he's still in a good mood at that point I'd be more than a little terrified of him... I strongly suspect that there may be such a thing as weaponized laughter and joy.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on March 16, 2017, 06:26:30 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 16, 2017, 05:15:50 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 16, 2017, 03:36:33 PM
I am also glad you are not dead.

It does help to hear this. Thanks LMNO.

I know I haven't had much in the way of interaction with you here (and well, it's been a rough 2 years or so, so mostly been in lurk status as it is), but glad to hear you're still with us. One of my best friends killed himself almost a year and a half ago, and it really tore so many lives apart - probably a lot more than he expected. The effects are still being felt, and will certainly be for some time to come.

I get in a bad way myself sometimes, even since then, but it's in a big way the thought of the people who will be left behind picking up the pieces, whether you believe it at the time or not, that makes it not worth it. It may sound cliché, but hang in there and know that you do matter in this world.

There is a terrible point where the effects on others can stop mattering as sad as that is to say. Thanks for the encouraging words. My hope is that with some proper medical attention I can get back to something like functionality again. I've had bipolar disorder since childhood and have been stubbornly unmedicated for nearly 8 years now.

It's kinda funny because I nearly didn't get help. The county only takes 4 new people for triage every Wed morning at 7:30am and usually they're full by 7. I and my friend arrived right at 7:30. A person had to bow out for undisclosed reasons that particular morning and it was me and another person who had arrived pretty much at the same time as "overflow" told to wait to see if someone that had gotten there before us backed out. I do believe that I held the door for them in Wisconsinite fashion. I suggested a coin flip figuring it both fair and a 50/50 chance out of something I'd rather not have done on an insane level. Who am I to say who needed the help more? The admitting nurse probably thought I was just being polite at the time and said she thought it was a good idea.

I won the toss. I hate to admit that on a disturbing level I was almost angry even though I showed no sign of it and resigned myself to having three strokes of random chance tell me that yes this was happening if you include my good fortune to have a friend both able to see through my shit and insist on me being there in the first place.

I'm going to leave off the topic for now.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpNk4X7CI4U

I'm going to have to see this whole movie at some point, but I was reminded of this scene from seeing it on FB a long time ago.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Day 3 of having to sleep sitting up, to avoid choking.  This is probably a permanent thing.

Don't ever let them make you old.  And if they do make you old, don't let them make you sick.  And if they DO make you sick, take my advice and drive into a bridge abutment.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

I want a chair like Captain Pike's.  Except my lights are labeled "NO" and "SHUT UP".  If this is provided, I will grimace just like Captain Pike at all times, AND I will also plot your deaths, just like he would.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MMIX

If the gender nazis would just drop the SS from Mistress some sanity might prevail.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 17, 2017, 08:03:24 AM
Day 3 of having to sleep sitting up, to avoid choking.  This is probably a permanent thing.

Don't ever let them make you old.  And if they do make you old, don't let them make you sick.  And if they DO make you sick, take my advice and drive into a bridge abutment.

That sounds like fresh hell, Roger.

Cain

My sympathies to both Roger and TWJ.  I'm in nowhere as near as dire a state, but due to a combination of the aforementioned dehydration and another low dietary requirement, I've had a few very miserable days sleep wise.  I finished my work shift Thursday morning, slept 4 hours, as usual...and that's the last time I slept.  I've more or less got the dehydration licked, but I'm still working on the diet side of things.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on March 17, 2017, 01:28:33 PM
My sympathies to both Roger and TWJ.  I'm in nowhere as near as dire a state, but due to a combination of the aforementioned dehydration and another low dietary requirement, I've had a few very miserable days sleep wise.  I finished my work shift Thursday morning, slept 4 hours, as usual...and that's the last time I slept.  I've more or less got the dehydration licked, but I'm still working on the diet side of things.

I've been living mostly on trail mix, vitamin supplements, and tortillas with peanut butter, a bit of honey, and a banana rolled up in it for a couple weeks now to conserve my meager resources. Occasionally I eat a cold can of ravioli because heating it makes it taste more horrible.

... but it's not tinned vegan haggis. Even the destitute here have a certain grace afforded to them in at least that such things don't happen here in the USofA.

I hope you find some sort of food fit for human consumption over there.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 17, 2017, 08:22:40 AM
I want a chair like Captain Pike's.  Except my lights are labeled "NO" and "SHUT UP".  If this is provided, I will grimace just like Captain Pike at all times, AND I will also plot your deaths, just like he would.

Can my death have some pizzazz and maybe a high splatter quotient? I want the city to try getting dried fat, blood, and implausible amounts of glitter out of the cracks in the concrete, in remembrance.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl