News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I decided to try a new brand of boots, since my non-waterproof Frye field boots didn't work out quite so well in Manitoba (when I bought them, and it was a killer deal so no regrets, but I wasn't totally anticipating my "field" to be an abandoned gravel mine an hour north of Winnipeg). So I spot these Ad-Tec boots on sale for about $60, and I figured I'd go for it. They arrived yesterday, and today was my first full day in them... I think they're gonna work out just fine. Nice thick top-grain leather, very deeply lugged soles, decent padding. I can see where they cut corners to keep them cheap, since they're unlined and the welt is plastic rather than leather, but if these last a couple of field seasons in the snake mines, I might just have a new favorite field boot.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Trying to do creative work feels like airing up a tire with a rather large hole in it.  :kingmeh:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 31, 2017, 03:08:58 AM
Quote from: Freeky on March 31, 2017, 01:28:05 AM
Quote from: Cain on March 30, 2017, 03:11:04 PM
Yeah, if codeine's not helping, that sounds like it needs to be looked at, soon as possible  :sad:
Quote from: Faust on March 30, 2017, 02:35:36 PM

Tooth stuff is the worst, and if the codeine isn't working sounds like a dentist is waiting for you.

I have to wait for the infection to die down and then I will probably be able to function and handle leaving the house. that's on my to do list for the next week or so, though.

Keep an eye on your temperature. If you run any fever at all, you need antibiotics immediately. I don't mean "in the morning" immediately, but get your ass to an ER immediately even if it means calling an ambulance -- infected teeth can turn into meningitis shockingly rapidly.

Oh yeah, I've been taking them. It's already helping, and I feel basically almost normal. I'm not gonna stop taking them because I am not the dumb and know I have to take the whole series, though.  :)

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 31, 2017, 10:55:41 PM
I decided to try a new brand of boots, since my non-waterproof Frye field boots didn't work out quite so well in Manitoba (when I bought them, and it was a killer deal so no regrets, but I wasn't totally anticipating my "field" to be an abandoned gravel mine an hour north of Winnipeg). So I spot these Ad-Tec boots on sale for about $60, and I figured I'd go for it. They arrived yesterday, and today was my first full day in them... I think they're gonna work out just fine. Nice thick top-grain leather, very deeply lugged soles, decent padding. I can see where they cut corners to keep them cheap, since they're unlined and the welt is plastic rather than leather, but if these last a couple of field seasons in the snake mines, I might just have a new favorite field boot.

Neat!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on April 01, 2017, 04:50:04 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 31, 2017, 03:08:58 AM
Quote from: Freeky on March 31, 2017, 01:28:05 AM
Quote from: Cain on March 30, 2017, 03:11:04 PM
Yeah, if codeine's not helping, that sounds like it needs to be looked at, soon as possible  :sad:
Quote from: Faust on March 30, 2017, 02:35:36 PM

Tooth stuff is the worst, and if the codeine isn't working sounds like a dentist is waiting for you.

I have to wait for the infection to die down and then I will probably be able to function and handle leaving the house. that's on my to do list for the next week or so, though.

Keep an eye on your temperature. If you run any fever at all, you need antibiotics immediately. I don't mean "in the morning" immediately, but get your ass to an ER immediately even if it means calling an ambulance -- infected teeth can turn into meningitis shockingly rapidly.

Oh yeah, I've been taking them. It's already helping, and I feel basically almost normal. I'm not gonna stop taking them because I am not the dumb and know I have to take the whole series, though.  :)

Good! Glad you have antibiotics to fight the infection.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I think I just decided to go back to sea.

I'm gonna quit smoking pot after I finish my meager stash this weekend. I'm a candidate for a promotion to a managerial spot at my current job, which would maybe be enough money to convince me to stick around, but I'm unlikely to get the spot as a first-time candidate in a company where there are going to be long-time employees fighting tooth and nail for the position. But one of my old AUTEC buddies from the Phoenix days works for a company that does long-distance ocean tug runs to Alaska and Honolulu. Said company just happens to be based in my city. I already have a current TWIC card so I just need to pass a piss test, get a sea time letter from my old captain, and fill out some forms and pay some fees and get my MMC as an A/B. I'd basically be doubling my income immediately and it's a union gig (IBU - awesome union) so the benefits are as good or better than my current amazing benefits package.

Downside, of course, is being out at sea for a month+ at a time away from my kid. But she's young enough that this will just be normal to her pretty quickly and when I'm home for a month I'll be able to spend all the time with her. And be able to pay for daycare. And eventually a good school, since that'll be a thing by then. And a house with a yard.

And I'll get to cook whatever I want with an essentially unlimited food budget. And nobody is more appreciative of good food than sailors. Sounds like I'd mostly just be cooking during transits and maybe standing the occasional watch once they're convinced I'm not a total fuck-up, but I'd have to do deckwork when we're in port loading and unloading cargo. That's actually awesome because under the union contract, any time spent working with cargo on deck is an extra $20 an hour on top of whatever your day rate is.

Their work schedule starts really picking up in May and June so I'm gonna make sure I can pee clean by early May with an eye towards getting to the USCG Rec Center before Memorial Day weekend to finish the process and be ready to ship out at the start of June when my daughter's mom will be done with school for the summer.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Meunster

Wake me up when the hippies come back.

Im tired of this shit.
Poe's law ;)

Don Coyote

My mother blocked me on FB after she blew up my phone about wanting me to give her a reason why I didn't want the family to visit because it's evidently an affront to god that I didn't immediately respond to her.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Meunster on April 01, 2017, 11:52:11 PM

Im tired of this shit.

The hippies all got old and started worshiping "kek" and encouraging the youth to sell out as well.

You're just going to have to stay asleep Meunster. Sorry. The hippies are all gone forevers.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

That sounds pretty cool, ECH, good luck!

Meunster

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 02, 2017, 04:18:44 AM
Quote from: Meunster on April 01, 2017, 11:52:11 PM

Im tired of this shit.

The hippies all got old and started worshiping "kek" and encouraging the youth to sell out as well.

You're just going to have to stay asleep Meunster. Sorry. The hippies are all gone forevers.

Works for me.
Poe's law ;)

Bruno

Opened the fuel center this morning. Was counting the money from the day before. found some counterfeit hundreds. Called management, they came and confirmed they were counterfeit, and took them back to the store with them. Went back to counting money, found more... a lot more. Looks like an inside job. Only 3 people worked the day before: the lead who has been a trusted employee for over 30 years, me, and the new guy, who closed that night. All the dirty drops were his. His first drop of the day was a bag with 25 identical $20 bills, all with the same serial number, made during the 20 minutes that I was out on a break which I took as soon as he came in.

He was supposed to close tonight, but called out.

ETA:

While filling out the date on the deposit slip for what was left of real money, I realized all of this had happened on April 1st.

:horrormirth:
Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on April 01, 2017, 08:53:02 PM
I think I just decided to go back to sea.

I'm gonna quit smoking pot after I finish my meager stash this weekend. I'm a candidate for a promotion to a managerial spot at my current job, which would maybe be enough money to convince me to stick around, but I'm unlikely to get the spot as a first-time candidate in a company where there are going to be long-time employees fighting tooth and nail for the position. But one of my old AUTEC buddies from the Phoenix days works for a company that does long-distance ocean tug runs to Alaska and Honolulu. Said company just happens to be based in my city. I already have a current TWIC card so I just need to pass a piss test, get a sea time letter from my old captain, and fill out some forms and pay some fees and get my MMC as an A/B. I'd basically be doubling my income immediately and it's a union gig (IBU - awesome union) so the benefits are as good or better than my current amazing benefits package.

Downside, of course, is being out at sea for a month+ at a time away from my kid. But she's young enough that this will just be normal to her pretty quickly and when I'm home for a month I'll be able to spend all the time with her. And be able to pay for daycare. And eventually a good school, since that'll be a thing by then. And a house with a yard.

And I'll get to cook whatever I want with an essentially unlimited food budget. And nobody is more appreciative of good food than sailors. Sounds like I'd mostly just be cooking during transits and maybe standing the occasional watch once they're convinced I'm not a total fuck-up, but I'd have to do deckwork when we're in port loading and unloading cargo. That's actually awesome because under the union contract, any time spent working with cargo on deck is an extra $20 an hour on top of whatever your day rate is.

Their work schedule starts really picking up in May and June so I'm gonna make sure I can pee clean by early May with an eye towards getting to the USCG Rec Center before Memorial Day weekend to finish the process and be ready to ship out at the start of June when my daughter's mom will be done with school for the summer.

This sounds like a good plan... it'll suck missing your kid for chunks of time, but to be able to provide financial security and a permanent home will be so so worth it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 03, 2017, 07:40:35 AM
Opened the fuel center this morning. Was counting the money from the day before. found some counterfeit hundreds. Called management, they came and confirmed they were counterfeit, and took them back to the store with them. Went back to counting money, found more... a lot more. Looks like an inside job. Only 3 people worked the day before: the lead who has been a trusted employee for over 30 years, me, and the new guy, who closed that night. All the dirty drops were his. His first drop of the day was a bag with 25 identical $20 bills, all with the same serial number, made during the 20 minutes that I was out on a break which I took as soon as he came in.

He was supposed to close tonight, but called out.

ETA:

While filling out the date on the deposit slip for what was left of real money, I realized all of this had happened on April 1st.

:horrormirth:

Wow

If he didn't get hired using a fake ID and SS# he is so going to prison.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We spent the weekend gardening our hearts out, building planter boxes and moving raspberries and putting in tiny wee shrubberies and burning scrap wood. One of the new neighbors in the townhomes decided to stick his head out the window and question whether we were supposed to have a fire going, and not-so-subtly threatened to call the cops -- "I'm not sure if there are ordinances..." -- but shut up when I told him that I had the fire department come out and verify placement of my firepit when I put it in. What I should have let him know is that there ARE ordinances regarding peeping. We fully intend to spend most of the summer naked in our back yard, and if the old coot has a problem with that he can suck it. I hope it gives him a stroke.

So now we have two sets of nosy neighbors. Next on the list: a camellia and some columnar holly trees or arborvitae to block their stupid nosy views.