News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 08, 2017, 04:35:16 PM
Yesterday I got to open up the abdomen of our cadaver, and clean the fat off a kidney. It was pretty damn cool! I particularly enjoyed the scalpel work, as there is some undefinable pleasure in making a careful, clean incision that cuts only the layer you want to cut. It's like... flying, but with a knife.

I know exactly what you mean. I get that feeling from microscopic high precision electronics work but I first felt it in high school during a fetal pig dissection. It so happened that I only had to share it with one other person and we were graded on a worksheet that was easily filled out leaving us to do as we pleased. We managed to remove its brain and brainstem in pristine condition and present it to the lab teacher who was... not enthusiastic about the dissection lab in the first place. The look on his face not just at the brain but our GRINs was worth all of the effort many fold!

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

I'm so frustrated right now.

So we got kittens, right, two of them. They are adorable and me and the boy both love them. However, the boy is interested mostly in doing whatever entertains him, and I've had to discuss how cats need respect and gentleness even more than dogs do, because they're slightly more likely to bite and scratch and they won't like being abused. Today I found the boy had put my kitten in a tall laundry hamper and put a puzzle flannel over it so he couldn't get out. I grounded him to his room for the rest of today.

I've been really trying to never resort to the "Because I said so," reasoning that my folks used on me to explain why it's fair to ground him, and explain what isn't fair (torment the cats, disrespect boundaries, so on and so forth), but he still doesn't get it and I'm so  :argh!:

First world problems, right?

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2017, 04:50:57 PM
I remember when ECH was reviewing shitty 4loko flavours.  Dark times, man, dark times.

They lost me when they took the caffeine out of it. I don't half-ass my cheapshit buzzes.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 08, 2017, 08:01:10 PM
Yesterday I got to open up the abdomen of our cadaver, and clean the fat off a kidney. It was pretty damn cool! I particularly enjoyed the scalpel work, as there is some undefinable pleasure in making a careful, clean incision that cuts only the layer you want to cut. It's like... flying, but with a knife.

I know exactly what you mean. I get that feeling from microscopic high precision electronics work but I first felt it in high school during a fetal pig dissection. It so happened that I only had to share it with one other person and we were graded on a worksheet that was easily filled out leaving us to do as we pleased. We managed to remove its brain and brainstem in pristine condition and present it to the lab teacher who was... not enthusiastic about the dissection lab in the first place. The look on his face not just at the brain but our GRINs was worth all of the effort many fold!

Nice... brain dissections are really hard, it's easy to damage the delicate tissues with a rough bone edge.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 09, 2017, 07:33:43 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on April 08, 2017, 04:45:11 PM
Wait, what cadaver?

Don't worry, it's legal -- I teach A&P now.

Ah.

Good.

That makes the group implication far less problematic.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 09, 2017, 07:34:37 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 08, 2017, 08:01:10 PM

Nice... brain dissections are really hard, it's easy to damage the delicate tissues with a rough bone edge.

I wasn't pretty, but the scalpels we had were brand new and I had a pretty good idea of how far down around the skull to cut. As I recall my partner was the one that suggested a lateral incision into the spinal chord at the base of the skull before I tried turning it over to remove the thing. She saved the project. It was preserved in a fluid that had shrunk most of the other organs as well as the brain so there was a little bit of wiggle room between the brain case and the brain itself if I recall correctly. We were just supposed to open the abdomen and ribcage an play "what's this bit" and fill out a very simple sheet pretty much designed to make actual cutting unnecessary for the squeamish kids. We were just not the squeamish kids at all. It was supposed to be groups of 4 and nobody wanted us so we got a pig to share. Her name was Shawna and shit I haven't thought about this in nearly two decades.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

MMIX

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 09, 2017, 09:00:57 PM

I wasn't pretty, but the scalpels we had were brand new and I had a pretty good idea of how far down around the skull to cut.

Man, sometimes you are just fucking terrifying
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Junkenstein

You have been issued a Roger penalty notice. The fine for ambiguous compliments can be paid to the usual man under the bridge at 2 to 3am every third Thursday and is sue in full by tomorrow. Failure to pay promptly will result in Roger cooking you (1) meal in (your/it's) kitchen.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: MMIX on April 09, 2017, 09:30:43 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 09, 2017, 09:00:57 PM

I wasn't pretty, but the scalpels we had were brand new and I had a pretty good idea of how far down around the skull to cut.

Man, sometimes you are just fucking terrifying

I've spent my adult life downplaying that as best as I can. Sorry. I've been talking to my councilor with a candor that I haven't even had with close personal friends. Seen her stiffen up a few times when I get into my past or describe my less savory thoughts like how I might have gone about ending myself and why. She seems to believe that I suffer from acute PTSD and maybe clinical "personality disorder." I don't know. I'm trying to avoid self diagnosis and just work with the good folks at the county.

That's a typo though. Should be "It wasn't pretty". I can see how reading that as is was a twist.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 09, 2017, 10:04:26 PM
You have been issued a Roger penalty notice. The fine for ambiguous compliments can be paid to the usual man under the bridge at 2 to 3am every third Thursday and is sue in full by tomorrow. Failure to pay promptly will result in Roger cooking you (1) meal in (your/it's) kitchen.

Would you say it's a fine meal?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 09, 2017, 10:07:02 PM

You have been issued an RWHN penalty notice. You will suffer an ill fitting suit within (30) Days or RWHN will explain nothing to you for (4) weeks despite being obviously wrong.

This penalty can be disputed at the Go Fuck Yourself department which tends to answer enquiries within 36 months or cause your untimely demise.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 09, 2017, 10:12:00 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 09, 2017, 10:07:02 PM

You have been issued an RWHN penalty notice. You will suffer an ill fitting suit within (30) Days or RWHN will explain nothing to you for (4) weeks despite being obviously wrong.

This penalty can be disputed at the Go Fuck Yourself department which tends to answer enquiries within 36 months or cause your untimely demise.

Well the punishment certainly  suits the crime.  :thanks:

Please for the love of fuck and sweet Jesus someone kill me.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

An additional penalty has been added, please report to your nearest active volcanic processing center to redistribute your carbon appropriately.