News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 25, 2017, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: Cain on April 24, 2017, 10:19:55 PM
Quote from: Freeky on April 24, 2017, 08:09:08 PM
My copy of Windows broke itself. Directly after doing a reset install, too. I am so sick of Windows and all its bullshit, and I can't afford a copy of Mac, so Linux it is! ADVENTURE!

Our work copy of Windows has been invalid for, like, the past 3 weeks.  I'm eagerly awaiting the moment that MS brick our reception PC for counterfeiting.

If it's win10 I think the cutoff is around 28 days.

I'm surprised they're using legit software. Probably one of the only places in the UK that is.

It's 7 still.  I think we have a licence which means, so long as this computer connects to the main server, it automatically validates it.

Thing is, of course, it's not doing that now.  You would think this might be some cause concern in IT, but they're too busy with a month-long WoW bender or something.  One presumes.

Trivial

Quote from: Cain on April 25, 2017, 02:54:26 AM
My copy of Windows broke itself. Directly after doing a reset install, too. I am so sick of Windows and all its bullshit, and I can't afford a copy of Mac, so Linux it is! ADVENTURE!

Our work copy of Windows has been invalid for, like, the past 3 weeks.  I'm eagerly awaiting the moment that MS brick our reception PC for counterfeiting.

I'm surprised they're using legit software. Probably one of the only places in the UK that is.

It's 7 still.  I think we have a licence which means, so long as this computer connects to the main server, it automatically validates it.

Thing is, of course, it's not doing that now.  You would think this might be some cause concern in IT, but they're too busy with a month-long WoW bender or something.  One presumes.

Main server probably repurposed as WoW private server.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We bought a car this weekend. My car is still in the shop waiting for a turbo, and Salty's van has tooooo many things wrong with it, so it was time to just buy something that will hopefully be reliable and low-maintenance. So we got another Volvo, a 1990 740 basic model sedan with 132k miles. It's gonna have problems, of course, but my experience with my old one was that everything except the wiring harness is cheap AF to replace.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 25, 2017, 02:27:25 PM
We bought a car this weekend. My car is still in the shop waiting for a turbo, and Salty's van has tooooo many things wrong with it, so it was time to just buy something that will hopefully be reliable and low-maintenance. So we got another Volvo, a 1990 740 basic model sedan with 132k miles. It's gonna have problems, of course, but my experience with my old one was that everything except the wiring harness is cheap AF to replace.

One of the best decisions I've ever made was learning basic/intermediate auto maintenance. Garages here will rip you off for everything and anything and being able to sort basic problems yourself saves so much time and hassle it's unreal. With a Haynes manual and youtube/google you'd be surprised at what you can do when you're able to diagnose the issue correctly.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

7? Really?

That IT department must hate themselves. Or any upgrade/changes, no matter how minor will horribly break whatever janky system they've got so they're terrified of anything new. I know I don't have to tell you this, but thisis going to end badly. I'm guessing a minor fuckup becomes "I can't process the wage run for the whole company for who knows how long" badly.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on April 25, 2017, 03:29:41 AM

Main server probably repurposed as WoW private server.

Bitcoin miner or Eve online is my bet. Every IT department I've ever dealt with has been into at least one of these. Often both.

Cain

Well, payroll is handled by another office.  It just means all of our records (like the fire list, student room records and the variety of checklists we are made to fill in every night) wont work.

This would not terribly upset me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 25, 2017, 05:37:28 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 25, 2017, 02:27:25 PM

One of the best decisions I've ever made was learning basic/intermediate auto maintenance. Garages here will rip you off for everything and anything and being able to sort basic problems yourself saves so much time and hassle it's unreal. With a Haynes manual and youtube/google you'd be surprised at what you can do when you're able to diagnose the issue correctly.

Yeah, that's what I did with my old one, back when I had time but no money. Chilton's better than Haynes IMO. The engines on these boxy fuckers are pretty well laid out and mostly very accessible. Now that I have neither time nor much money, the repairs are pretty much going to be up to Salty, which is fine because he's more interested in mechanical things than I am anyway. Plus it's his car. Mine's a 940 turbo luxury wagon, which I hope they can find a replacement turbocharger for soon because I miss my car with heated seats and automatic everything.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just found out that a thing I thought I had to do today, I don't actually have to do. Yay for an hour and a half of extra time!

Trivial

Headhunter at local company contacted me via linked in saying how awesome it'd be if I worked there given my experience .  I apply for grins and didn't fill out optional portions (resume and college transcript) because it said it linked with my linked in profile.

They're ok without the resume but they really need the transcript.

The transcript for a degree unrelated to the job from 12 years ago. 

K

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on April 25, 2017, 10:07:13 PM
Headhunter at local company contacted me via linked in saying how awesome it'd be if I worked there given my experience .  I apply for grins and didn't fill out optional portions (resume and college transcript) because it said it linked with my linked in profile.

K

That's weird. What do they need the transcript for, if you have the degree?

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 25, 2017, 10:34:56 PM

K

Well, GPA was a grand filter about 10 years ago when they had paper applications for fresh out of college students.  They want people with "Academic Excellence."

Shouldn't be relevant for people currently working, but apparently they don't usually hire those already working in the field. 

Bit paranoid about how they talk about their benefits how they have a paid month sabbatical every 5 years.  I just want to know how many vacation days a year they have, it's nowhere on their benefits site.  Heard stories about their campus being awesome for the sole purpose of keeping people on campus all the time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on April 26, 2017, 12:32:33 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 25, 2017, 10:34:56 PM

K

Well, GPA was a grand filter about 10 years ago when they had paper applications for fresh out of college students.  They want people with "Academic Excellence."

Shouldn't be relevant for people currently working, but apparently they don't usually hire those already working in the field. 

Bit paranoid about how they talk about their benefits how they have a paid month sabbatical every 5 years.  I just want to know how many vacation days a year they have, it's nowhere on their benefits site.  Heard stories about their campus being awesome for the sole purpose of keeping people on campus all the time.

Ah, that makes sense. They're just incompetent and potentially malicious.

tyrannosaurus vex

Why is it that when someone who usually has very little authority gets to be the boss of a situation, no matter how small or fleeting​, they magically transform into a little Napoleon? I have encountered two such people in the last week and it annoyed me more than I expected it to.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 27, 2017, 02:30:44 AM
Why is it that when someone who usually has very little authority gets to be the boss of a situation, no matter how small or fleeting​, they magically transform into a little Napoleon? I have encountered two such people in the last week and it annoyed me more than I expected it to.

I think it's because they feel powerless in almost every arena of their lives, so they overcompensate to a totally inappropriate level when they finally feel they have their chance.