You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 28, 2017, 03:26:04 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 27, 2017, 02:30:44 AM
Why is it that when someone who usually has very little authority gets to be the boss of a situation, no matter how small or fleeting​, they magically transform into a little Napoleon? I have encountered two such people in the last week and it annoyed me more than I expected it to.

I think it's because they feel powerless in almost every arena of their lives, so they overcompensate to a totally inappropriate level when they finally feel they have their chance.

I wonder if this is how kinks form.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

tyrannosaurus vex

Why is it that when someone who usually has very little authority gets to be the boss of a situation, no matter how small or fleeting​, they magically transform into a little Napoleon? I have encountered two such people in the last week and it annoyed me more than I expected it to.

I think it's because they feel powerless in almost every arena of their lives, so they overcompensate to a totally inappropriate level when they finally feel they have their chance.

There is probably some truth here. I had considered something similar. Some kind of getting back at whoever happens to be in the room when they finally get their chance at greatness, or whatever.

Also, someone in IRC mentioned something I hadn't thought of that I thought was interesting. Maybe their lack of familiarity with authority leaves them a little lost in such situations, so they latch on to some archetypal or stereotypical "authority figure" identity they only know from TV or their shitty father. "Bosses are assholes, and I'm the boss right now so I need to be an asshole if anyone's going to take me seriously". Maybe our present Asshole in Chief has a little bit of this going on as well.

There's probably not really much discussion to be had here. I just get annoyed at people who suddenly have all the power in the world (they think) and wield it exactly how people with power should not use their power.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

So lunch was meant to be included with the training. I don't really want to have lunch with the assholes I work with, but no big deal.

At the end of the official training, I go to the bathroom for 30 seconds.  I return, and everyone has already left to go to the lunch.  At an address I don't know, and can't find out, because a) I dont have access to my work emails and b) I didn't bring my phone with me.

I get back to my flat, and I have half a dozen messages on my phone about how "we're sorry you didn't want to join us for lunch." Assholes.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Cain on April 28, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
So lunch was meant to be included with the training. I don't really want to have lunch with the assholes I work with, but no big deal.

At the end of the official training, I go to the bathroom for 30 seconds.  I return, and everyone has already left to go to the lunch.  At an address I don't know, and can't find out, because a) I dont have access to my work emails and b) I didn't bring my phone with me.

I get back to my flat, and I have half a dozen messages on my phone about how "we're sorry you didn't want to join us for lunch." Assholes.

Damn  :sad:

On the bright side lunch with assholes one works with usually sucks
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

Yeah, but free lunch though.  At a Lebanese place, no less.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 28, 2017, 06:52:01 AM

There is probably some truth here. I had considered something similar. Some kind of getting back at whoever happens to be in the room when they finally get their chance at greatness, or whatever.

Also, someone in IRC mentioned something I hadn't thought of that I thought was interesting. Maybe their lack of familiarity with authority leaves them a little lost in such situations, so they latch on to some archetypal or stereotypical "authority figure" identity they only know from TV or their shitty father. "Bosses are assholes, and I'm the boss right now so I need to be an asshole if anyone's going to take me seriously". Maybe our present Asshole in Chief has a little bit of this going on as well.

There's probably not really much discussion to be had here. I just get annoyed at people who suddenly have all the power in the world (they think) and wield it exactly how people with power should not use their power.

That seems likely, as well. Perhaps it's a sort of combination of the two? People who have never been in a leadership position would typically have no idea how to lead, I suppose.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on April 28, 2017, 10:09:49 AM

That is a monumental dick move, WTF.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Salty got me 23 & Me for my birthday.

Best boyfriend ever!

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is a distinctly crazy person in my open lab today. She's not in my section, which I can only be extremely grateful for, but she is requiring, um, a lot of supervision. Lab is packed because practicals are next week, and I have had to tell her not to hoard slides a couple times. Then she went to this other student and was like, "Can I have those slides I  gave you back?"

Dude, no, that is not how this works. Also, open lab is not your opportunity to get a private tutor for free because you missed or slept through the lecture.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH MY GOD I'M HOME AND IT'S MY BIRTHDAY AND IT'S THE WEEKEND!

I am torn between going to the store and getting yummy food and beer for Mr. S when he gets home with the boys, because he will surely need a beer, and being so fucking tired after working 12 hours yesterday and 10 hours today and something along those lines every day this week and also working Sunday. Which is why I don't post very much since starting grad school. Also because we are old folks at home and go to bed at 8 every chance we get. But I'm now home alone and bored and tired.

I'm sure you all wanted to know that super bad. You're welcome.

Also today I accidentally did a pretty thorough job of annihilating the pancreas on my lady cadaver. Whoops!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on April 28, 2017, 11:00:52 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 28, 2017, 09:33:45 PM
Salty got me 23 & Me for my birthday.

Best boyfriend ever!

yay!!

I can't wait to find out whether I'm really Cherokee, or actually Jewish.

I hope I'm Jewish, that would be rad.

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Feliz anniversario, Nigel!
<hr>
Meanwhilez, on ze homecamp, Herr doktor Ratzenkraut maintains that my attempts to bury sleepers over a couple of dead-men perfectly illustrates the vanity of my denial, w.r.t. extending the zombie-retaining wall.  Ha-ha, I say :lulz:

MMIX

Penblwydd Hapus a chi, Nigel

pen bloy th  Ha piss  A [as in apple] HHHHee [a strange sound rather like the ch in loch or that spitting noise that cats make]

tr. Happy Birthday to you, Nigel
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber