News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

The people who know absolutely nothing are generally open about it and you can walk them through it. Its the ones who know just enough and panic when they think they are expected to know, they will mess you around. Of course they are not as bad as the ones that you send requests to, that you might as well have sent the messages into a black hole, you are never going to get a response from them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Speaking of black holes with no response....

We've now been 5 weeks without a valid copy of Windows in the main office.  Fortunately Windows 7 doesn't freeze access after a certain amount of time has passed, but it does mean the computer has not been updated in a very long time...I'm just waiting for a worm to infect our machine and propagate through the entire school system.

LMNO

Sounds like a perfect time to print out your paper trail of emails and memos referencing this security gap...

Cain

Already done.

As well as an article I wrote for the law firm I consult with on WCry and how human failure in updating security applications is the key factor in the spread of the ransomware.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on May 18, 2017, 01:56:33 PM
Already done.

As well as an article I wrote for the law firm I consult with on WCry and how human failure in updating security applications is the key factor in the spread of the ransomware.

:lulz:

Don Coyote

Already done.

Who needs rubberhose cryptography when people are just too lazy/stupid keep their software updated.

POFP

Anyone here ever have those days when they walk into Chipotle and go "Today is a two burrito kinda day..."?

Today is that day  :lulz:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: PoFP on May 18, 2017, 07:37:39 PM
Anyone here ever have those days when they walk into Chipotle and go "Today is a two burrito kinda day..."?

Today is that day  :lulz:

I've dared many things in my life, but I've never dared that...

...though now I feel like I should.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Quote from: Don Coyote on May 18, 2017, 06:01:42 PM
Already done.

Who needs rubberhose cryptography when people are just too lazy/stupid keep their software updated.

Yeah.  To be fair, Microsoft updates have, in the past, broken Windows programs and functionality, requiring a re-patch two days later, but when something's a critical update to patch a vulnerability from a cache of NSA exploits that was sold on the darknets to interwebs h4xx0rz of undetermined origins....that's one where you might want to err on the side of safety.

The Good Reverend Roger

After putting it off for 7 years, I finally got eyeglasses.

I can now drive using something other than the force as my guide.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm having a low-energy, paralyzed-with-anxiety kind of day. I have five readings and four reviews to write, plus my progress report, plus a statement of ethics. I have done none of these, but I have made it to the store and started some French Onion soup, so I guess I'm not totally useless.

I am supposed to be on my way to my best friend's house to help her paint her new ADU, but my onions are still caramelizing so...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 20, 2017, 04:55:18 AM
After putting it off for 7 years, I finally got eyeglasses.

I can now drive using something other than the force as my guide.

I fear for other drivers and pedestrians everywhere. We were all probably safer when you were aiming blindly, the idea that you can target effectively now is chilling.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

tyrannosaurus vex

I realized today that I am somewhat racist against middle-aged Italian guys who have mustaches, if they also own a mechanic shop. I don't know how to feel about this other than ashamed and a little bit confused.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on May 21, 2017, 02:17:10 AM
I realized today that I am somewhat racist against middle-aged Italian guys who have mustaches, if they also own a mechanic shop. I don't know how to feel about this other than ashamed and a little bit confused.

It's a me, Mario!