News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

No no, not just any Italian guy. He has to be a mechanic. Plumbers are fine.

ETA: Maybe it isn't the Italian part, maybe it's the mechanic part. The guy just happened to be Italian this time. Is "mechanic" a race?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 21, 2017, 01:07:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 20, 2017, 04:55:18 AM
After putting it off for 7 years, I finally got eyeglasses.

I can now drive using something other than the force as my guide.

I fear for other drivers and pedestrians everywhere. We were all probably safer when you were aiming blindly, the idea that you can target effectively now is chilling.

Those green and white smudgy things are SIGNS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2017, 03:54:40 AM
It's actually a plane of existence.

My life's goal is to have this much free time. Seriously, what the fuck.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 21, 2017, 12:37:46 AM
I'm having a low-energy, paralyzed-with-anxiety kind of day. I have five readings and four reviews to write, plus my progress report, plus a statement of ethics. I have done none of these, but I have made it to the store and started some French Onion soup, so I guess I'm not totally useless.

I am supposed to be on my way to my best friend's house to help her paint her new ADU, but my onions are still caramelizing so...

As a person suffering crippling depression and social anxiety I approve of your choice in soup and wish I had access to a stove and suitable utensils fit to achieve such a marvelous thing as french onion soup. I'm just saying if all you can do is make soup, it's doing better than some of us soupless bastards out there.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 21, 2017, 05:05:34 AM

I fear for other drivers and pedestrians everywhere. We were all probably safer when you were aiming blindly, the idea that you can target effectively now is chilling.

Don't you mean targets? I was told the state hobby is shooting such intrusions of big gubment
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on May 21, 2017, 05:26:28 AM
Quote from: Cain on May 21, 2017, 03:54:40 AM
It's actually a plane of existence.

My life's goal is to have this much free time. Seriously, what the fuck.

Consider for a moment how many people can tell you minute details of an endless list of fantasy worlds. It's terrifying.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 21, 2017, 10:14:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 21, 2017, 05:05:34 AM

Don't you mean targets? I was told the state hobby is shooting such intrusions of big gubment

Those are mostly stop signs.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 21, 2017, 09:10:07 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 21, 2017, 12:37:46 AM
I'm having a low-energy, paralyzed-with-anxiety kind of day. I have five readings and four reviews to write, plus my progress report, plus a statement of ethics. I have done none of these, but I have made it to the store and started some French Onion soup, so I guess I'm not totally useless.

I am supposed to be on my way to my best friend's house to help her paint her new ADU, but my onions are still caramelizing so...

As a person suffering crippling depression and social anxiety I approve of your choice in soup and wish I had access to a stove and suitable utensils fit to achieve such a marvelous thing as french onion soup. I'm just saying if all you can do is make soup, it's doing better than some of us soupless bastards out there.

It was not such a terrible day, I admit. And now we have soup.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today Salty and I urban-hiked down to Swan Island, up through the University of Portland campus, down to the McCormick & Baxter parcel of the Portland Harbor Superfund site, across to the Willamette Cove parcel, and out to St. Johns through the mostly-invisible remnants of the abandoned business park or whatever it was. Then we took the bus home, which went through the New Columbia Villa, Portland's dirty little secret ie. ghetto. It's like a whole little city inside a city, just for brown people!

Now we are home and drinking delicious shandies like bourgeoisie scum.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

So, I've been looking into the South Sudan civil war, because the SPLA have, unsurprisingly, killed a whole bunch of civilians, and raped and tortured a bunch besides.

Breaking news: the Nuer White Army are trash.  The SPLA are trash.  The SSLM are trash.  Cobra Command, despite having an awesome name, are definitely trash.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 22, 2017, 02:07:24 PM
So, I've been looking into the South Sudan civil war, because the SPLA have, unsurprisingly, killed a whole bunch of civilians, and raped and tortured a bunch besides.

Breaking news: the Nuer White Army are trash.  The SPLA are trash.  The SSLM are trash.  Cobra Command, despite having an awesome name, are definitely trash.

American news media is, as usual, giving coverage of unrest in African countries pretty much zero coverage, so I know next to nothing about this.

Cain

It's sort of been slow-burning for a while too, which doesn't help.  Basically, the South Sudanese President and Vice-President have been feuding from back in the days when they were all guerrillas hiding out in the Sudanese badlands.  The President fired the VP in 2013, along with the rest of his cabinet.  Later on that same year, a militia group closely associated with the VP started some serious fighting in the capital.  The President says the VP is attempting a coup.  The VP says the President is a dictator.

Cue lots of fighting, though UN peacekeepers manage to deter the worst of it, in the early days. 

Everyone also decides this is the best time to settle any ethnic or tribal disputes, because of course they do.  Militias eventually work their way up to "killing hundreds of people inside mosques" before the leaders decide to sit down and talk.

Cue lots of ceasefires in name only and general bullshittery.

Eventually, last year, the VP and President agreed on terms.  Only, while the ink hasn't even dried on the paper, the President overhauls the entire political system to further his own ethnic chauvinist goals, at the expense of two of the main ethnic groups among the rebels led by the VP.  Fighting breaks out again in the capital, and the VP flees.

The army follows the VP's trail to a town, and slaughters over a hundred people, burns down three villages, and then settles down for some good old-fashioned raping, looting and torturing.  Which is exactly what the army did 7 years ago while supposedly disarming rebels.  Meanwhile, the VP goes from the DRC to North Sudan to South Africa, where in a rare display of common sense the South African authorities put him under house arrest.

All this happened last year, but the UN finally compiled its report on the massacre, so...

Freeky

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 22, 2017, 03:00:34 AM
Today Salty and I urban-hiked down to Swan Island, up through the University of Portland campus, down to the McCormick & Baxter parcel of the Portland Harbor Superfund site, across to the Willamette Cove parcel, and out to St. Johns through the mostly-invisible remnants of the abandoned business park or whatever it was. Then we took the bus home, which went through the New Columbia Villa, Portland's dirty little secret ie. ghetto. It's like a whole little city inside a city, just for brown people!

Now we are home and drinking delicious shandies like bourgeoisie scum.

That sounds so awesome! Well, the hike in general.