News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Lightning vagina is a thing apparently.  Also not as cool as it sounds.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on June 02, 2017, 12:05:00 AM

It can't be as cool as it sounds.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Salty on May 30, 2017, 03:13:43 AM
A coolant hose snapped/melted/tore off, so I removed the broken bit and crammed the hose back on without its sensor, or whatever, and now I'm back and beer/bed.

You are a magnificent beast.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trivial on June 02, 2017, 12:05:00 AM

More like SUDDEN CROTCH STAB STAB STAB.

I hate that shit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

First incidence of shitpocalypse in the wild *may* have just happened in the Ukraine.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

00.dusk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 02, 2017, 02:26:26 AM
First incidence of shitpocalypse in the wild *may* have just happened in the Ukraine.

That's /impressive/ to look at. The street just... disintegrates.

I want to know more about this now.

Salty

Turns out all my ranting here on PD has resulted in many transferable skills. I am getting an A in Public Speaking, that's for sure. Rants and speeches are, in many ways, very similar. And I always envision myself at the pulpit when I get a hot one.

Also, just reasoning in general. It's very helpful in school. Today my group is presenting logical fallacies to my public speaking class. Before I came here I had no idea about them.

So, thanks for the A, y'all.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 00.dusk on June 02, 2017, 02:58:59 PM

Do you really?  Will your life be better or worse for knowing how your toilet will one day kill you?

Anyway, this was the "not enough water" version, not the "too much ammonia" version.  You can tell because everyone didn't suddenly puke up their lungs and die.

ETA:  This shouldn't really have happened for another 5 years or so, but Dave and I should get another bonus anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Salty on June 02, 2017, 04:00:00 PM
Turns out all my ranting here on PD has resulted in many transferable skills. I am getting an A in Public Speaking, that's for sure. Rants and speeches are, in many ways, very similar. And I always envision myself at the pulpit when I get a hot one.

Also, just reasoning in general. It's very helpful in school. Today my group is presenting logical fallacies to my public speaking class. Before I came here I had no idea about them.

So, thanks for the A, y'all.

It is kind of INCREDIBLY nice to discover that all that time spent hammering out ideas and arguing about them online turns out to be an actually valuable useful skill that people pay tons of money to spend years learning how to do.

00.dusk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 02, 2017, 07:32:40 PM

Do you really?  Will your life be better or worse for knowing how your toilet will one day kill you?

Anyway, this was the "not enough water" version, not the "too much ammonia" version.  You can tell because everyone didn't suddenly puke up their lungs and die.

ETA:  This shouldn't really have happened for another 5 years or so, but Dave and I should get another bonus anyway.

Oh, I'm not connected to a water treatment facility. I live in humble Central Florida, where we put our poo in the ground and pull our water out of it.

Incidentally, I drink only bottled water for that reason. You can smell the micro-organisms when you turn on the tap.

"Not enough water" causing such a spectacular explosion is incredible. I'm not sure how much detail you can go into, but I really, truly am in fact curious. The shitpocalypse is nigh and I simply must understand its terrible secrets.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 00.dusk on June 04, 2017, 12:55:18 AM

Oh, I'm not connected to a water treatment facility. I live in humble Central Florida, where we put our poo in the ground and pull our water out of it.

Incidentally, I drink only bottled water for that reason. You can smell the micro-organisms when you turn on the tap.

"Not enough water" causing such a spectacular explosion is incredible. I'm not sure how much detail you can go into, but I really, truly am in fact curious. The shitpocalypse is nigh and I simply must understand its terrible secrets.

It's been known for decades - since the advent of factory farming - that shit that doesn't move starts to exotherm (google "pig farms horrible bubble shotgun" for laughs).  In pipes, there are two things to keep in mind: If water is pushing shit faster than the speed that the exothermic reaction occurs, then all is well with the world.  If there is enough water to soak up the heat, also good.

If the shit is moving too slowly and there is not enough water to absorb the heat, then the heat climbs in a curve that looks like an inverted logarithm...ie, loads of heat really fast, then a very slow continual increase.  The point where the reaction begins reaches the boiling point of water, and then more or less flashes into steam.  This spreads both directions in the pipe, with the pressure growing as the cube of the volume, with all the heated shit expanding as well, until either it reaches a release point (ie, your toilet), or the pipe explodes.

It's worth noting that the shit in the center of the explosion would be intensely hot, but most of the moving mass would be less than 40C.

Trivial

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 04, 2017, 03:59:34 AM
Quote from: 00.dusk on June 04, 2017, 12:55:18 AM

It's been known for decades - since the advent of factory farming - that shit that doesn't move starts to exotherm (google "pig farms horrible bubble shotgun" for laughs).  In pipes, there are two things to keep in mind: If water is pushing shit faster than the speed that the exothermic reaction occurs, then all is well with the world.  If there is enough water to soak up the heat, also good.

If the shit is moving too slowly and there is not enough water to absorb the heat, then the heat climbs in a curve that looks like an inverted logarithm...ie, loads of heat really fast, then a very slow continual increase.  The point where the reaction begins reaches the boiling point of water, and then more or less flashes into steam.  This spreads both directions in the pipe, with the pressure growing as the cube of the volume, with all the heated shit expanding as well, until either it reaches a release point (ie, your toilet), or the pipe explodes.

It's worth noting that the shit in the center of the explosion would be intensely hot, but most of the moving mass would be less than 40C.

Things like this sometimes makes me wonder if pigs were even required to power Bartertown. 
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have discovered a fun new thing, inspired by Titus on Kimmy Schmidt.

1. Find a group full of young sprightly neckbeards
2. Wait for a thread in which someone mentions IQ
3. Talk about having a very high IQ
4. Argue that the IQ scale only goes to 100 and everyone who says they have an IQ over 100 is either lying or too dumb to understand how it works
5. Enjoy

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 04, 2017, 05:01:30 PM
I have discovered a fun new thing, inspired by Titus on Kimmy Schmidt.

1. Find a group full of young sprightly neckbeards
2. Wait for a thread in which someone mentions IQ
3. Talk about having a very high IQ
4. Argue that the IQ scale only goes to 100 and everyone who says they have an IQ over 100 is either lying or too dumb to understand how it works
5. Enjoy

Oh.

Oh, this is brilliant. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"