News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2017, 10:57:57 PM
Millenials killed soap, for fucks sake.

I had to Google "Millennials killed" to see what popped up, and holy shit, as far as I can tell, Millennials are just ruining the shit out of just about everything.

Not economic conditions or a changing information landscape. Nope, Millennials are specifically and personally killing all the things.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2017, 12:59:23 AM

I had to Google "Millennials killed" to see what popped up, and holy shit, as far as I can tell, Millennials are just ruining the shit out of just about everything.

Not economic conditions or a changing information landscape. Nope, Millennials are specifically and personally killing all the things.

They saw what we did to the Radio Star, and TMBG's dog with the hiphop and the white funk and whatnot. They just wanted to impress us with their murderous prowess.

Well color me impressed, Millennials. Make em suffer. Like we made that damn dog suffer.  :argh!:
Formerly something else...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on June 06, 2017, 01:24:13 PM
That was a wonderful read.

However, I do have a question:  Do African-Americans born around 1970 consider themselves "Generation X"? I'm not sure I've seen an essay or cultural artifact about GenX that isn't about privileged white people. 

Did you miss the part about being self-absorbed?  Gen X never hated Black people, IIRC, just forgot they were there.

QuoteI mean, I know that the so-called 'golden age' of hip hop* happened during the GenX heyday, which (as the article points out) also benefitted from the unusually good economy; but apart from ironic appropriation I'm not sure that 'typical' GenX culture and the black culture at that time ever really mixed.

See above.

At one of the horrible alt-right cesspools I have been keeping an eye on, some horrible fuck said, with his bare face hanging out:

QuoteRock n roll was pretty cool before blacks stole it off of Bill Haley.

Pretty sure the asshole who said that is a Gen Xer, but also not very typical.

QuoteThen again, seeing as how I'm a privileged white GenX-type person, there's a good possibility I'm simply blind to it.

I know I am.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
I do find it ironic that the complaint about millenials is being brand obsessed, when I can plug "millenials killed X" into Google and get back about a billion hot takes on industries millenials are willfuly and maliciously destroying by not buying things (definitely not because they don't have money).

I just saw some article about millenials not buying diamonds, and nobody knows why.

Maybe we finally raised a generation too smart to attach months or years of work to a tiny piece of rock that you can make by the ton for cheap, just because it formed naturally/

Naw.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

Hey, Business Insider says it's our preferences, so it MUST be so! But at least it's the Baby Boomers' fault.

http://www.businessinsider.com/baby-boomers-caused-millennials-destructive-spending-habits-2017-6

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 07, 2017, 01:42:32 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 06, 2017, 06:16:18 PM
I do find it ironic that the complaint about millenials is being brand obsessed, when I can plug "millenials killed X" into Google and get back about a billion hot takes on industries millenials are willfuly and maliciously destroying by not buying things (definitely not because they don't have money).

I just saw some article about millenials not buying diamonds, and nobody knows why.

Maybe we finally raised a generation too smart to attach months or years of work to a tiny piece of rock that you can make by the ton for cheap, just because it formed naturally/

Naw.

I mean, we probably would.  My generation are retarded (see: "meme magic made Donald Trump President").  Bust most people in my generation can barely afford rent, food and mobile/netflix subscriptions.  A decade of stagnant wages on top of low, but credible amounts of inflation doesn't leave a lot of spare cash in the pocket. 

The Good Reverend Roger

I just spent the last few hours playing with my grand-niece and grand-nephew, and how the hell did that happen I swear I was 22 like just 3 fucking weeks ago.

:eek:

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Freeky on June 07, 2017, 01:57:06 AM

Hey, Business Insider says it's our preferences, so it MUST be so! But at least it's the Baby Boomers' fault.

http://www.businessinsider.com/baby-boomers-caused-millennials-destructive-spending-habits-2017-6

I LOVE that not spending money on frivolous consumer goods has been re-labeled "destructive spending habits". Boomers pioneered actually destructive spending habits in a gluttony of consumerism that literally threatens the future of life on  this planet, but Millennials just not buying shit is "destructive".
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

So, it turns out, that when approaching a stopped mail delivery vehicle at high speed, and you see that there is another vehicle behind it, the correct course of action is to GUN IT.

This is the message I am receiving from local law enforcement.
Formerly something else...

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 07, 2017, 03:56:27 PM

I LOVE that not spending money on frivolous consumer goods has been re-labeled "destructive spending habits". Boomers pioneered actually destructive spending habits in a gluttony of consumerism that literally threatens the future of life on  this planet, but Millennials just not buying shit is "destructive".

"Business Insider" knows its target demographic.  And it ain't the kids.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on June 07, 2017, 04:00:40 PM

"Damn kids! Stop your destructive spending habits and start spending money you don't have on items you don't need, like we did in the 80's!"

Faust

Quote from: LMNO on June 07, 2017, 04:00:40 PM

Even from a business point of view, if the demand is isn't there, the problem isn't with the consumer. Then again if the article was "your media is obsolete, there is no demand for your product", I can imagine it would have gone down like a lead balloon.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

I feel like we can cross-reference this with Trump's desperate need to bring back coal production.

Faust

That's true actually, in fact trying to protect inefficient practices or obsolete products at the expense of innovation... Trump is the villain of an Ayn Rand novel, he is literally the enemy of John Galt
Sleepless nights at the chateau