News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Open Bar: Fake News, Fake Bar

Started by Faust, December 26, 2016, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 23, 2017, 02:46:19 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2017, 01:17:42 AM
So, new guy (he's been there 2 days longer than me) has a sick wife.  Like in the ICU getting organs removed kinda sick.  Her recovery is not assured.

And he's terrified that I'm going to let him go because he hasn't been to work this week, and he's still a "contingent employee" (also means "no paid time off of any kind").  Instead, I send him database work to do so he can bill hours while he sits next to his unconscious wife, both taking his mind off of a situation he can't control AND letting him make rent.  My boss thinks that makes me a saint.

It doesn't.  It's just good management, for 3 reasons:

1.  That database work needs to be done.
2.  He's not at work in an industrial environment with his head not in the game, so we don't wind up hosing him out of the gears.
3.  Anything I do at this point sends a message, both to him and the rest of the crew.  One message is "if you fall down, go fuck yourself."  this makes a crew go bad.  Another message is "your job is safe, too bad you can't make the rent".  This doesn't inspire hatred, but neither does it inspire loyalty.  The last potential message is "we have your back", and this makes employees feel secure.  And employees that feel secure will make work part of their life, and THAT means better production, better thinking, and all around better lives for everyone.

So what do you know?  They were right about altruism being a survival mechanism.  This isn't goodness, it's just plain pragmatism.

How is this not obvious to everyone?

Stories like this make me wish I worked for you, but then I remember that I don't want to get eaten by the Tuscon.

Tucson is as horrible as ever, but tech jobs - medical and industrial, as well as IT - are kind of exploding.  We raised our minimum wage and suddenly the economic engine is howling like a banshee.  It's both awesome and a vindication of my antiquated labor-liberal beliefs.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

So, new guy (he's been there 2 days longer than me) has a sick wife.  Like in the ICU getting organs removed kinda sick.  Her recovery is not assured.

And he's terrified that I'm going to let him go because he hasn't been to work this week, and he's still a "contingent employee" (also means "no paid time off of any kind").  Instead, I send him database work to do so he can bill hours while he sits next to his unconscious wife, both taking his mind off of a situation he can't control AND letting him make rent.  My boss thinks that makes me a saint.

2.  He's not at work in an industrial environment with his head not in the game, so we don't wind up hosing him out of the gears.
3.  Anything I do at this point sends a message, both to him and the rest of the crew.  One message is "if you fall down, go fuck yourself."  this makes a crew go bad.  Another message is "your job is safe, too bad you can't make the rent".  This doesn't inspire hatred, but neither does it inspire loyalty.  The last potential message is "we have your back", and this makes employees feel secure.  And employees that feel secure will make work part of their life, and THAT means better production, better thinking, and all around better lives for everyone.

So what do you know?  They were right about altruism being a survival mechanism.  This isn't goodness, it's just plain pragmatism.

This needs to be stitched onto a million throwpillows.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on June 23, 2017, 01:03:02 PM

Agreed. May I post on FB?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

My company has essentially exactly the oppposite policy.  You can see how this works out with regards to my co-worker.

My co-worker has done insane amounts of overtime.  In April, she took maybe 3 days off in total.  She's done 24 hour shifts, 12 nights of shifts without a break.  All voluntarily, but she's done a lot for the company.  Last year, she was practically running the building throughout the summer, on her own.

In return, she asked for two things.  1, to move on site, as the option is available to nightworkers.  2, she went for a job opening which would see her promoted to senior (my staff level).

She was told "hahaha, no.  Maybe next year" and she was passed over for the senior position by someone who is an old friend of the head of department.  So you know what she does now?  Exactly what is required by her job, and nothing more.  She has, like me, learned that there is no benefit to sticking your neck out for this company.  The overtime pay isn't even really that great, and accounting often mess it up, requiring more work to resolve it.  In return, you're taken for granted.  She's not motivated to try any harder than she needs to here any more, and if she needs money she'd rather pick up part-time work elsewhere than cover shifts here.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2017, 03:44:44 PM
My company has essentially exactly the oppposite policy.  You can see how this works out with regards to my co-worker.

My co-worker has done insane amounts of overtime.  In April, she took maybe 3 days off in total.  She's done 24 hour shifts, 12 nights of shifts without a break.  All voluntarily, but she's done a lot for the company.  Last year, she was practically running the building throughout the summer, on her own.

In return, she asked for two things.  1, to move on site, as the option is available to nightworkers.  2, she went for a job opening which would see her promoted to senior (my staff level).

She was told "hahaha, no.  Maybe next year" and she was passed over for the senior position by someone who is an old friend of the head of department.  So you know what she does now?  Exactly what is required by her job, and nothing more.  She has, like me, learned that there is no benefit to sticking your neck out for this company.  The overtime pay isn't even really that great, and accounting often mess it up, requiring more work to resolve it.  In return, you're taken for granted.  She's not motivated to try any harder than she needs to here any more, and if she needs money she'd rather pick up part-time work elsewhere than cover shifts here.

Work to rule. Some companies basically force you to do that, such as yours.

At least neither of you are at the point where you are actively sabotaging... *cough*

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on June 23, 2017, 03:05:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO on June 23, 2017, 01:03:02 PM

Agreed. May I post on FB?

Sure.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Credit it to Sam Tarwell, though.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2017, 05:42:32 PM
Credit it to Sam Tarwell, though.

Yeah, the notecard feature in FB is not as user friendly as it used to be, I will have to tackle it again when I have more time.

I don't want it to look like I wrote it.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 23, 2017, 02:39:52 AM
I shadowed an MD today! It was super super super fun, like basically being a doctor is the customer service end of science. So fascinating, and so many different things going on! Doctoring might be the perfect profession for people who have ADHD but also really like science. And yesterday I actually got my advisor into the lab to show her the issues with the tissue I was supposed to be using for validation, and when I walked her through the process and showed her the tissue she agreed with me, which is GREAT because now I can put my time and energy into something that will actually move the project forward.

Good times, good times.

Just as I was getting back into IT security and forensics, I see a good incentive to get back into the medical field.

Also, glad to hear of the confirmation of your prediction!

Yeah, this actually reminds me of a TED talk I saw a little while ago. He went over the fact that there is a strange correlation between how much you give in your work, to your likelihood of success/being at the top. Specifically, they found after several studies that the people who do nothing but take and sabotage for personal gain usually end up in the middle, and often at the bottom. There's a few at the top, but that's pretty much only due to luck/connections. Most of the time, they fuck up and get dropped to the bottom.

If I remember correctly, they also found that the people who give the most are likely to be at the bottom, as well as the top. The givers were by far the highest and lowest achievers. But of course, regardless of your level of achievement, givers were able to contribute more to the company they were involved in, leading to a more successful company over all. So even if you're a sacrificial giver, and end up achieving little, you and others like you end up helping to hold up the success of the company. So it's really bad for any single person, as well as the company to be the "taking" type.

If only government worked this way lol

EDIT: Ah, here it is.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on June 23, 2017, 04:19:01 PM

Work to rule. Some companies basically force you to do that, such as yours.

At least neither of you are at the point where you are actively sabotaging... *cough*

Only because the company does it to itself well enough to make the effort pointless.

LMNO

I mean, really.  I can totally see any wrenches you throw at this point would only improve the situation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This sounds like a person who should be getting paid a lot more money somewhere else.

For that matter, so do you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Well, I still have my Mystery Meeting with the law firm to attend to (I'm putting the percentages as 50% on a beatdown by MI5 trainees, 25% on a small sum of cash and 25% on introducing me to people who might offer me a job).

And come September, I'm looking into going into the fast-track civil service program.  Obviously the civil service isn't for anyone who wants to get rich, but some of the programs I'm interested in have higher starting pay than my current job, assuming I get in.

My co-worker wants to go into police support.  She used to work at a pretty fancy nightclub, but she got sick of dealing with Albanian gangsters fucking the place up every weekend.  Pay was good, tips were better, but it was a lot of bullshit to handle.   For now though she's doing this because it allows her to pay her Uni tuition fees upfront (which is pretty much the reason I took this job...).

The Good Reverend Roger

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."